Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I yield to no man in my long-standing affinity for Cold Steel knives. I will not use or own knives made by any other manufacturer. That said, ever since I saw "Rambo: First Blood Part 2" as a teenager in 1985, I have ALWAYS wanted a replica of the knife used by Stallone in that film. So, here I have an opportunity to make a "one-time only" exception to my rule; a knife dealer I met at the gun show promised to have one for me [one of the official ones, with Stallone's picture on the box, not a $20.00 lookalike] at the next show. My question, to anyone who may know from experience: Are these Rambo movie replica knives worth using, or are they made for collector purposes only, with actual use not really intended? Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
IIRC, the knives were either Buck 184s or modified versions of the Buck 184.
BTW- Buck 184 (or anything made by Buck for that matter)>>>>>>anything made by Cold Steel.;)

Yes, its worth the money if its your thing. Its basicly a very high quality Bowie style knife with a hollow handle.

If you want a 'real' survival knife to actually use, I wouldn't bother with it- too heavy and too expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, the knives were either Buck 184s or modified versions of the Buck 184.
BTW- Buck 184 (or anything made by Buck for that matter)>>>>>>anything made by Cold Steel.;)

Yes, its worth the money if its your thing. Its basicly a very high quality Bowie style knife with a hollow handle.

If you want a 'real' survival knife to actually use, I wouldn't bother with it- too heavy and too expensive for what it is.
If I decide that it's better as the fulfillment of a long-held desire, I'll use it very sparingly, and leave the heavy stuff to my stable of Cold Steel blades.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1 on Cold Steel.these are great knives,I must own a dozen of them.
Agree 100%. I became a believer after watching some of those great "Proof" videos that CS makes. No other knife company I know of has ever answered their challenge to make their own such videos. Owning and using these awesome blades only solidified my conviction that CS is my only choice.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool article, jlh820. Thanks!

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
No other knife company I know of has ever answered their challenge to make their own such videos.
probably because most companies who make BETTER knives dont need to market their products with idiot videos of some dufus chopping free hanging ropes and stabbing thru car doors:rolleyes:

They aren't good values because they use the cheapest steel, cheaper overseas labor, cheap fit and finish, and they cheap out on the warranty service. Despite this, they still cost as much as American or Japanese knives with better steel and quality, and more extensive warranty coverage. They may have stronger locks, but since any other lock that's well made won't fail under normal conditions, this doesn't matter at all. The other things like quality and edge retention, however, are things you will notice in normal use. ;)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
probably because most companies who make BETTER knives dont need to market their products with idiot videos of some dufus chopping free hanging ropes and stabbing thru car doors:rolleyes:
Eh...the videos were all marketing. But I will say, I have beaten the crap out of Cold Steel knives and they are a tough blade that can take the abuse...where I have had other "better knives" fail...I still have an SRK that has seen hell and it is still my go to knife...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have beaten the crap out of Cold Steel knives and they are a tough blade that can take the abuse...
compare the steels CS uses to the various steels used by other big name knife companies...CS blades might not be as tough as they want you to think they are.

the science doesnt lie...these charts arent based on brand loyalty. this is factual info....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Agree 100%. I became a believer after watching some of those great "Proof" videos that CS makes. No other knife company I know of has ever answered their challenge to make their own such videos.
Wrong!
There were hard use videos on everyone's tv in the 1980s for Ginsu knives- these babies could saw through a nail or beer can and still thin slice a tomato!
Must be really great knives right?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
compare the steels CS uses to the various steels used by other big name knife companies...CS blades might not be as tough as they want you to think they are.

the science doesnt lie...these charts arent based on brand loyalty. this is factual info....
I do not need a statistical breakdown of steel quality, I have personal experience with the knives I have. Granted, they were older CS knives from the 90's and I understand that they have gone down in quality in the recent past, but the knives I have from CS have lasted where as other higher priced, better known brands (Buck in particular) failed.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
you consider a Buck to be a "higher priced" brand? wow...at least Buck stands behind their knives 100% despite their working mans price

since you didnt need the statistical breakdown of steel quality, i guess you must have it all figured out LOL, so i say this....
buy a $100 CS and buy a $100 spyderco or benchmade knife... use but dont abuse them...then tell me who makes better knives for the $$$

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
you consider a Buck to be a "higher priced" brand? wow...at least Buck stands behind their knives 100% despite their working mans price

buy a $100 CS and buy a $100 spyderco...then tell me who makes better knives for the $$$
and your comment on how long your cs knives have lasted depends entirely on how hard youve used them.
I just mentioned Buck in particular...I have had a Spyderco folder fail too where the pressure to make it fold was barely non-existent, the only and last Spyderco I would buy as my cheap Gerber folder has been in heavy use for years now and is still in awesome shape. The CS knives I own have seen very heavy usage in the outdoors of the Sierra Nevadas...for the small price I paid for them, they have been very rock solid...

And how did this become a trash CS thread? I feel like a Republican arguing against a Democrat now :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
my cheap Gerber folder has been in heavy use for years now and is still in awesome shape.
and dont even get me started on Gerber LOL ....how the hell did a company who at one time was held so highly become the crap producers they now are? :mad:

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

They aren't good values because they use the cheapest steel, cheaper overseas labor, cheap fit and finish, and they cheap out on the warranty service. Despite this, they still cost as much as American or Japanese knives with better steel and quality, and more extensive warranty coverage. They may have stronger locks, but since any other lock that's well made won't fail under normal conditions, this doesn't matter at all. The other things like quality and edge retention, however, are things you will notice in normal use. ;)
In the interest of not derailing my own thread, I'm going to save us both a lot of needless typing, agree to disagree on this point, and move on.:)

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.