Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled out my sp101 32 h&r magnum 3 inch today, new in 94 I'm second owner. Fired several dozen 32 s&w longs in 98 gr plus some in jhp. I really enjoy this round. I also hope the 327 hangs around as I really enjoy my new sp 101 shooting 32's also. The magnum loads in both are really fun though the 32's don't break the bank

·
Registered
203 Posts
Shoot the 32 S&W longs with my 3 inch 327 SP101. It's like, Where's the kick? especially after some 327 mags. But they are fun. Haven't tried the 32 H&R's yet.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely no kick after the 327 mag but good for practice. the 32 h&r mags are a nice round. We shoot lots of 38's and some 357's but I like shooting all my rugers and enjoy my 327 and 32 both in magnums

·
Registered
198 Posts
Do you get any key holing with the .32 S&W Long.

I inherited a H&R Sidekick (2 inch barrel). And the Fiocchi FMJ was key holing about 1/3 of the time at 7 yards.

Very accurate, but I don't want something so slow is key holes first, and gets stuck in the barrel second!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I've been shooting .32 Long and H&R since the early 2000's, I know, not a long time compared to some.......

I acquired my love of the .32 Long back when the oddball European revolvers like the Norwegian and Swedish Nagants, as well as Russian Nagants, Swiss 1887's, etc. were cheap and the only affordable ammo was .32 Long wadcutters, that would work in them. It was a pleasant plinking round, I have a lot of nostalgic memories of being alone either in my parents back yard, or at the range, plinking with .32 Long.

I have a .327 GP100 that I shoot .32 Long through but the gun is so massive for that round, it feels like a waste, so that's why I want a .327 SP101. I had a S&W 31-1 4" that I traded, since I'm moving away from S&W's, so the 4" .327 SP101 seems like the perfect replacement.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like my .32's and won't be parting with them anytime soon.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Pulled out my sp101 32 h&r magnum 3 inch today, new in 94 I'm second owner. Fired several dozen 32 s&w longs in 98 gr plus some in jhp. I really enjoy this round. I also hope the 327 hangs around as I really enjoy my new sp 101 shooting 32's also. The magnum loads in both are really fun though the 32's don't break the bank
Someone gave me a box of .32 78 grain hard cast bullets. Makes a great hunting load-

6 of 'em fits into a 12 Ga shell for 1 1/8 Oz..

Radio George

·
Registered
247 Posts
I love all 3 of the 327's I own, I shoot a lot of 32 h&r mag out of them, for a cheap plinker I load 2.5 grn's of 700x and a 80 grn lead RN in an H&R case, this has become my 22 replacement for my grand daughter, they plink about the same and cost less to load than 22 to costs these days.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I love all 3 of the 327's I own, I shoot a lot of 32 h&r mag out of them, for a cheap plinker I load 2.5 grn's of 700x and a 80 grn lead RN in an H&R case, this has become my 22 replacement for my grand daughter, they plink about the same and cost less to load than 22 to costs these days.
That's good to hear.
I just picked up my SP101 in .327. I got the 4.2" matte stainless barrel. I like it a lot, but stil need to finish sighting it in.
I've had a J-frame Taurus 6-shot .327 for a few years, but it only has a 2" barrel.
I've put many .32H&R mag and S&W longs through the Taurus but I haven't had the Ruger long enough to run any of the "lesser" .32's through it.

I started reloading last year and one of the low-pressure rounds I loaded first (after .45Colt) were the .32S&W long.
They were bunny-fart loads compared to the full load .327's.

If it hadn't been for the fact that I could see my hits on the target I would have thought they were squib loads.

I found a caster locally and bought him a set on .32 molds to cast 90gr RN.
Just after I bought him the molds someone gave me roughly 90lbs of wheel weights.
I got a whole bunch of 90gr .32's back, and some 9mm, and a bunch of .45's for acp, and Colt, and .45-70...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I shot American Eagle 327 100 gr JSP out of my 327 Taurus today. Serious horsepower out of a small revolver. I shot 2 other 357s today, each heavier than the Taurus. The felt recoil from all three was about equal, It wasn't unpleasant, and it gets your attention. 327 feels very similar to 357, and I like the 6 round capacity in a small package.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I shot American Eagle 327 100 gr JSP out of my 327 Taurus today. Serious horsepower out of a small revolver. I shot 2 other 357s today, each heavier than the Taurus. The felt recoil from all three was about equal, It wasn't unpleasant, and it gets your attention. 327 feels very similar to 357, and I like the 6 round capacity in a small package.
Yeah, I know the feeling.
I have 2 Taurus J-frames. The 6-shot .327fed/mag 2" barrel matte stainless finish. The other looks like the identical revolver but it is a 5-shot .357mag in total titanium.
The .357 actually weighs less than the .327.
Full-load .357's really get the shooters attention out of that titanium frame. I usually practice with .38spl's and carry Hornady Critical Defense when I carry the .357.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm happy there are lots of 32 & 327 shooters out there. Yes I've also found the 327 to sting like a 357. Fun to shoot those magnums

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Im hoping Rugers two new releases, the Single Seven, and the SP101-327 give the 327 the push it needs. It seems popular here. It really is an excellent cartridge. I would like to see Ruger introduce a revolver that the cartridge was originally intended for, Concealed Carry. A 2" LCR, and a 3" LCRx in 327 would be excellent. I would buy a 3" LCRx-327 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have five different 32's, two 327's, two H&R's, and one Long. I carry the SP101 3" in the truck when I travel. I get just about as much enjoyment out of loading the rounds on a single stage press as I do shooting them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got an sp101 in 327 a few months ago. Was mostly shooting 38 special and 357 from my gp100 match champion before that. For me at least, the Federal 327 100 grain is a little much. I think I'm going to stick to the Federal 85 grain from now on. It seems about perfect, for me at least, out of this gun. When shooting the 100 grain, my hand hurt after awhile. My friend, shooting in the next lane over said every time I shot one of the 100 grain bullets he felt the hair at the front of his head move. I thought that was funny.

I shot some 32 S&W long, which felt like it had zero recoil - how fun!

I also had some 32 H&R magnum, that didn't have much recoil. You have to be careful when buying the 32 H&R magnum. Some of the cowboy loads are so weak you might as well get the 32 S&W long since it's cheaper. I've heard a lot of the H&R mag stuff is loaded light so it can be safely shot in older guns that can't handle the pressure of full magnum loads.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Shooting 32 SWL in my S&W 30-1.

Shooting 32 H&R Mag in my SP101 in that caliber.

Shooting 327 Federal Magnum in another SP101, and a Ruger Single Seven in both 4 5/8 and 5.5" barrels. I figure I just need a lever gun or Lightning pump in that caliber, and I will be a full on fan boy of "32" rimmed cartridges.

My 32 SWL is MO 78 grain coated LRN with 2.8 gr Bullseye.

My 32 H&R Mag is MO 95 grain LRNFP with 3.5 gr AA#5.

My 327 Federal Magnum is 12.0 gr AA#9 with Penn 95 grain LRNFP.

Carry ammo is all Federal, but mostly I carry the 32 H&R for being subsonic while significantly powerful.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts