Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Wow! I can think of a lot of things to spend $50 on other than this. Seems like a big waste of money to me. Take a few measurements and drill it out by hand.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow! I can think of a lot of things to spend $50 on other than this. Seems like a big waste of money to me. Take a few measurements and drill it out by hand.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion, but have you used it or did it your way?

I considered using a rod down the barrel to mark the inside of the reciever, removing the barrel, then drilling from the front on my drill press.

I have found some of the other Brownell tools and jigs very handy time savers and helpful to get it right the first try.

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
Thanks for your opinion, but have you used it or did it your way?

I considered using a rod down the barrel to mark the inside of the reciever, removing the barrel, then drilling from the front on my drill press.

I have found some of the other Brownell tools and jigs very handy time savers and helpful to get it right the first try.
I havent used the jig or done it by hand so I suppose my opinion doesnt mean much. :eek:

It just seems way overpriced for something that doesnt need to be that precise.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Another option

I have used and can recommend the 10/22 cleaning rod hole drill from Gunsmither Tools. To use it, you remove the barrel and replace it with this drill assembly. Easy to use and it is only $25.

See "www.gunsmithertools.com/1022-cleaning-rod-hole.html" for the drill and look at other parts of their Website for several other 10/22 and MK I , II, and III "special" tools.

Over at Rimfire Central (RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!) there is a long thread about the various aspects and ways to drill the 10/22 cleaning hole. Have a look at "www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446347"

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I did mine I just ran a cleaning rod through the barrel with the bolt out, and traced a line on masking tape around to the back. Then measure halfway across the receiver and drill.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have and use the Brownell kit. Makes sense for someone who expects to do a lot of 10/22s over time or maybe if you have a club that has a lot of 10/22s. In my case, it was a matter of consistency for customers, doubt I would have went there for one off (then again collecting cool tools has replaced other vices for many a man)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've done the cleaning rod thing used a Parker Hale jag, the one with the point on the end to hold the patch, used prussian blue (lay out dye) to paint the inside of the receiver, then put pressure on the rod , that removed the prussian blue at the spot where the hole should be. Then mounted it in the drill press vise and drilled.

Works great.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
To each their own but once that hole is drilled any and all problems encountered with that receiver and well, it's all yours, every bit of it. Never had any issues with a bore snake myself. Not like it is requiring a continual cleaning either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts