Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out to shoot my new AR556 for the first time today, it had run 100% for 200 rounds of federal and Winchester brass case ammo, nothing but stuck cases with the tula.

I have 4 other ARs that run tula fine. Is this a known problem with the Rugers?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My biggest issue in the past with AR's is its inability to run steel reliably... I won't keep one if it won't , I don't always shoot cheap ammo but someday I might have too . Been through a few nice ones so far I've only kept my Smith M&P it seems to like it just fine

·
Registered
773 Posts
Steel ammo is OK for those weapons designed to accommodate it but for my money it doesn't belong in an AR. As for 'someday' I handload and my component stockpile is 'adequate' so all the ammo I'll ever need is just waiting to be put together.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My biggest issue in the past with AR's is its inability to run steel reliably... I won't keep one if it won't , I don't always shoot cheap ammo but someday I might have too . Been through a few nice ones so far I've only kept my Smith M&P it seems to like it just fine
I agree. It's crap ammo, but it should function OK. My armalite M4 will start to have stuck cases after shooting a lot of steel without cleaning, but not like this.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Hi, OP. First off, welcome to the forum. I have a new AR-556, and mine runs fine with Wolf. Have not tried Tula. About half of the 420 rounds I have through mine have been Wolf steel case. I have not had any hiccups with brass or steel. Still, it's not at all unusual for an AR to not like shooting steel cased ammo.

What would I do? Shoot only brass cased ammo for awhile. Make sure your chamber is clean. After a few hundred more rounds, try the steel again. I suspect it may just work the second time around.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sportsman guide is offering Tula steel cased ammo at $380.00 per 1000. They also offer PPU ammo that is brass cased, boxer primer for $415.00 per 1000. Just buy the PPU ammo for a difference of $35.00 and you get reloadable brass cases that you can reload or sell to reloaders as once fired brass. Should make it cheaper then the Tula ammo by doing that. I have used the PPU ammo in my mini-30 and it is very good ammo and accurate and the .223 ammo should be also.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Steel ammo is OK for those weapons designed to accommodate it but for my money it doesn't belong in an AR. As for 'someday' I handload and my component stockpile is 'adequate' so all the ammo I'll ever need is just waiting to be put together.
Every firearm should be able to function as designed either with brass or steel of its caliber . Your right its your money but I don't baby any of my guns , there tools , weapons , call them what you will .... But mine Ruger , Smith or what ever , it better run !

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have no problem with anyone shooting anything through their weapon that's safe and they feel good about. Just saying for me, there is no need and I'll stay with brass. Just sayin.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I have converted both my ARs to piston operated and will run the Tula or wolf ammo with no problems. Did before but now a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I think everyone is making a BIG assumption here: The Russian made ammo is made to the same quality as the non-Russian brass stuff.

I think stories about the Russian steel stuff having problems might have as much to do with their crappy QC as much as it does with the fact it's steel. Yes, there's the story about the coating melting in the chamber but that's just another example of the product's quality isn't it?

Personally, if after spending $$ on a good AR then putting the cheapest trash into it seems like a good idea sounds like a good plan to you... I think that's penny wise and dollar foolish.

But if you're that cash poor, start to reload. Sure it's money up front but look at it long term. Cheap shooting at it's best!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never had any problem with steel cases in any of my guns, AR-15 or AR-10., .22, bolt guns, etc. I use it a lot in my handguns with no problem. It does have some crappy coatings sometimes that will gum up your receiver after a while. I can shoot what I want and I just happen to be one of those that likes the Russian ammo. I don't reload so I just police up expended stuff and throw it in the steel dumpster. A lot of people shoot Russian ammo at my range and they have a market for the steel casings. I have an old .303 Enfield that shoots the Russian round better than most of the high dollar stuff. Russians don't make a lot of good stuff, but they do pretty well on guns and ammo. I worked in Russia for a lot of years and saw a lot of junk, but most of the guys that had guns, had really, really, old guns that they took good care of and they shot very well.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Add me to the list that runs steel cased ammo. I run it through my M&P 15 Sport, and have not had any issues, although I have not run Tula. Silver Bear and Hornady work just fine though.

Have not tried steel in the BCM, so I don't know if it will run it or not.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I think everyone is making a BIG assumption here: The Russian made ammo is made to the same quality as the non-Russian brass stuff.

I think stories about the Russian steel stuff having problems might have as much to do with their crappy QC as much as it does with the fact it's steel. Yes, there's the story about the coating melting in the chamber but that's just another example of the product's quality isn't it?

Personally, if after spending $$ on a good AR then putting the cheapest trash into it seems like a good idea sounds like a good plan to you... I think that's penny wise and dollar foolish.

But if you're that cash poor, start to reload. Sure it's money up front but look at it long term. Cheap shooting at it's best!
I understand where you're coming from, but I do not fully agree with the perspective on steel/QC. I have and can buy AKs worth more than economy AR builds (AR556, Sport, Sportical, etc) and run garbage surplus ammo with reasonable accuracy and reliability. I feed my expensive AKs that trash...

Similarly, I will feed my ARs this trash. It's affordable and it allows me to share my ARs with friends at a better price point. I have yet to have a bad round (fingers crossed) and I get respectable accuracy (I sighted in a new optic using steel).

Barrel and ejection wear is not a big deal. Easy and affordable swaps. The annoying thing about steel is that I cannot reload it. I also reload and enjoy brass ammunition just as much (where is that 357 steel!? :eek:).

The thing that I find amusing is that Hornady now makes steel ammunition. Now, I know your argument is geared towards QC and I would infer that Hornady has better, but any of us would gladly shoot Hornady's well made ammo. In fact, I may buy some now to try.

Anyways, I won't keep a firearm that cannot fire steel and brass. I like ability and my firearms better have it. If it won't shoot, it usually means I tweak... especially on ARs. An AR should be able to successfully run steel and for longer than a few mags.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
ARs are made to shoot brass, AKs & SKSs were designed to shoot steel. Keep the crap ammo out of your AR and shoot what it was designed for. You'll have less issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got out to shoot my new AR556 for the first time today, it had run 100% for 200 rounds of federal and Winchester brass case ammo, nothing but stuck cases with the tula.

I have 4 other ARs that run tula fine. Is this a known problem with the Rugers?
2 boxes of tula steel ok in mine so far.

Usually shooting Wolf Gold brass or federal. All ok. Usually can find either for just over 30c/round online from time to time, so no reason to shoot steel, in my opinion.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tula Ammo is perfect for AR. Don't listen to these biased opinions. Unless you have a very crappy built lol. I shoot 7.62x39 out of AR all the time. My buddies shoot 556 all the time.
Only thing is, take the bolt apart and clean it. There wiil be carbon build up around the bolt. With 556 it won't be too much.
Now about wolf ammo..... In 7.62x39, bullets are a bit longer than standard ( you can see the stamp line sticking out) this creates feeding issue in AR.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I recently tried 40 rounds of Wolk steel case in my new AR556 (a friend gave it to me to try), the gun cycled flawlessly but the groups were not great.

My 556 gives pretty decent groups with American Eagle 55g FMJ, purchased at Sportsman's Guide for $340 /1000 rounds. So I am sticking with the brass ammo.

Personally I don't want to use steel case, but it was nice to know the gun would function with it. That is if a 40 round test can really be considered a test?

OP, I hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I was watching you tube videos today on this very subject. It boiled down to Wolf worked well Tula did not. I have a bunch of steel .223 for use out in the desert or the end of the world as we know it. Luckily it's Wolf.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts