Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What kind of holster do you suggest?

I"m debating carrying a Glock 27 down on the ankle when I've got my jeans on. I've gotten several PM's suggesting different things to try with IWB holsters and I'm greatly thankful to those who have sent them. I'm just considering options for comfort for CC.

Has, or does anyone carry concealed on their ankle? I also ask in guns similar in size to my Glock.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
tried it years back and it just did not work for me.
Will take a lot of practice to effectively use ankle carry.

Things i discovered about ankle carry were:
1. a cheap rig won't cut it
2. will not work with all styles of pants
3. don't walk across dirt or grass---sweat comong down your leg will meet dust and grass coming up the pants leg and meet on the gun
4. Getting "athletic" such as in jogging or a fight is problematic
5. a fast draw is out of the question

I personally think that it may be about the most ineffective /inefficient way to carry a weapon and would regulate it to bug for a bug for the primary.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Based upon my personal experience, an ankle rig should be relegated to the category of "use this only when you have no other option." Why?

1. Unless, seated, it requires radical movement of body (and space to make that movement) to reach the firearm. This results in one of slowest possible draws, it telegraphs your intentions to all observers and it commits you to publically displaying your weapon [impossible to make a discrete draw].

2. Unless you like discomfort and accept the possibility of inadvertently displaying or dropping your weapon, you must commit to the expense and difficulty of finding a good (very good) quality holster that is specifically fitted to your weapon and is a near-custom fit to your ankle.

3. Ankle carry dictates your wardrobe:
- minimum diameter of your pants leg.
- type/length of sock.
- type of footware (do you like to wear boots?)

4. Ankle carry limits the type of physical actvity in which you can engage, and even the way you can sit in public. You've got to keep that pant leg down far enough to cover the weapon at all times.

If ankle carry is your only choice, you may be better off with a suitable knife...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Based upon my experience, an ankle rig should be relegated to the category of "use this only when you have no other option." Why?

1. Unless, seated, it requires radical movement of body (and space to make that movement) to reach the firearm. This results in one of slowest possible draws, it telegraphs your intentions to all observers and it commits you to publically displaying your weapon [impossible to make a discrete draw].

2. Unless you like discomfort and accept the possibility of inadvertently displaying or dropping your weapon, you must commit to the expense and difficulty of finding a good (very good) quality holster that is specifically fitted to your weapon and is a near-custom fit to your ankle.

3. Ankle carry dictates your wardrobe:
- minimum diameter of your pants leg.
- type/length of sock.
- type of footware (do you like to wear boots?)

4. Ankle carry limits the type of physical actvity in which you can engage, and even the way you can sit in public. You've got to keep that pant leg down far enough to cover the weapon at all times.

If ankle carry is your only choice, you may be better off with a suitable knife...

Now, if you can wear a skirt in public without drawing undue attention, a thigh holster is a somewhat better option.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for those two replies.

Through a PM, someone mentioned front carry by the belt buckle. I've also looked around on the net and noticed that some people like to use a SmartCarry system that basically wraps around your waist and sits your weapon sits about where your crotch is. Not sure how comfortable that is, but the guy I was reading a review from apparently liked it.

I've also seen one of these below. Anybody got thoughts on one of these? Doesn't look very secure to me, but looks like the weapon would be comfortable as hell.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Me?? Too old, too gimpy and the danged thing thing hanging on my laig would have me listing to one side and drive me nuts.
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I tried one ankle holster....pfffffftttttt....then I cut two horizontal slots in my boot about 2" down, and clipped a leather IWB to it-carried a M60 2" butt forward inside my right ankle for several years and awhile after I quit police work....off the ankle and more comfortable...a bit more accessible...downside.....sloooooooooow....not recommended...you can always work something out at the waistline.....it was my backup to my backup...which was a Combat Commander in.....you guessed it....45....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I carry a KaBar TDI knife on my ankle for my last line of defense. It works great, and is very comfortable. But it weighs a lot less than a handgun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used one with a Model 37 as a BUG when I was a deputy sheriff. It was most accessible when seated in my patrol vehicle and my primary was pinched against my side.

But the darn things anchor you in one spot when you're on foot and you need it. Accessing a sidearm while moving to cover/concealment is my preferred method of self-preservation. They also cause you to take your eyes off your threat while you are acquiring your weapon.

Have you looked into a tuckable IWB that enables you to tuck your shirt tail over the butt, thus concealing it? A simple pull upwards with your weak hand exposes the sidearm.

·
Banned
282 Posts
I carried a Glock 27 in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster for a few years as a back-up gun when I was in uniform patrol, and sometimes in Investigations. Always felt secure. Now in retirement, I use the same rig to sometimes carry a .38 snubby. But, just because it worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. You'll just have to get one and try it out.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Tried to use one many years ago, it about drove me crazy and never could get use to it. Finally gave the ankle holster away so I wouldn't be tempted to keep trying to make it work. They may work for some people but not for me.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I carry a S&W 442 on my Ankle.

The Glock 26/27 is too heavy and bulky for ankle carry, IMHO. It is also not the place for a Primary weapon, only a back up. If you are having trouble concealing I suggest you learn to "Dress Around The Gun". I've been doing that for 20+ years and carry an N-Frame Revolver in the desert southwest and a 442 as a BUG with no problems, and I don't appear out of place with my style of dress.

BTW: I'm not a "big" guy, just 5'06" and 140 pounds soaking wet. Once you learn how to conceal it's not that hard. As far as Ankle Holsters go, I like the Alessi and the Galco Ankle Glove, with Alessi being the #1.

Biker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When I carried in my boot, I bought Levi's Boot cut jeans...just short of bell bottoms...they fell back over the boot easily and were roomy enough to reach into the boot one-handed...don't know if they're still made...don't see how slim-legged jeans would work....BikerRN's right...decide what you need to carry and then dress around it...it's really not so hard...Smart Carry is slower than IWB and may require 2 hands...would be tough to get to seated....you'll find what's best for you...don't get discouraged....

·
Registered
995 Posts
I used to use one on duty years a go, but it was with a small .380. Can't run or do anything with it. My pants had a boot cut, but if not then it was a pain to carry. I agree, it would be a last resort type of carry, but beats nothing at all.
Dan'o :}

1 - 15 of 15 Posts