Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, feel free to move this thread if there's a more appropriate forum location.

As the title asks, has anyone taken Ruger up on the polish and reblue services they offer?
I ask because I own a blued GP100 that is in desperate need of refinishing. I'm not fond of most of the spray on coatings. Hard chrome is okay, but there is just something special about a blued revolver.

My other question is, what should I expect from a Ruger reblue? Will it be the same ho hum quality it had originally, or will it be a bit more refined? Ruger's standard bluing is acceptable, but I'm looking for a nice deep blue reminiscent of old Smiths and Colts.
Well, what say you? Is their service worth the $160 their asking?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Ruger did a reblue of an old 3-screw Blackhawk a while back and the finish was a duplicate of the original. I do not think that they do custom high polish bluing. If you are looking for a blue job similar to the old S&W or Colt blue, you will need to send it to a custom shop such as Ford's Refinishing in Crystal River, Florida. They do beautiful work in any type of finish or plating that you desire. They stay booked up with factory and private customer orders so, the wait can be several months. However, the wait will be worth it.
This is a S&W that was done in their Master Blue:

Here is a GP100 Royal Phoenix that will give you an idea of how your GP100 might look:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
My take after all the reads I've done is that Ruger's service was very reasonably priced but nothing more than their standard production job. Take it or leave it.

My experience with a local shop, and I think this is true with others, they wait until they have enough guns to justify bringing up the chemicals then do them all at once. Thus the wait. I had a 1911 redone once and I was shocked that it took 2 month.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jdavis
That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll talk to Ford's as well about cost and turn around time. Not sure I could stand having it gone for a couple months. It's my favorite shooter.
... ya, I just heard myself too. It's a shooter. It gets shot a lot. Maybe I'm over thinking this project. Why do a master reblue and then just go blast 2K rounds a year out of it? Maybe plain old factory blue would be best anyways.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Doubt Ruger is exactly going to be "speedy" about getting it back to you either. I have had several guns reblued over the years and the factory is about the last place I would send one. The quality of the blue is all about how much work they put into it BEFORE the blue is applied. So the factory will spend as much time on yours as they do theirs...........which is as little as possible.

Bobby Tyler at Tylers guns in Texas does mine and does fantastic work at a very reasonable price, plus is a Ruger "guy". But it won't be a week or two, likely nobody will be that quick, if they are any good at it that is.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Look up Dennis Olsen in Plains Montana, he did a custom M70 for me and the work was superb and reasonable although it was part of a bigger project.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have a .357 flat top and if i got a hold of the right serial # page, was made in 1953. an old timer sent it back to ruger for the safety refit and to have it reblued. the gun came back and he sold it to me. the bluing is beautiful (and i pleaded to sell it to me as is but he was set on sending it in) a deep rich blue/black and the loading gate is still the plum color. it's not a screaming, in your face shiney finish either. this was 1993 maybe. so it came back to the shop i was working at, called the guy, and he wanted to sell it. i still have the factory invoice and of course the original parts they took out on the safety conversion. i never fired it, put a cable tie on the hammer so it couldn't be cocked. but a beautiful factory reblue.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a .357 flat top and if i got a hold of the right serial # page, was made in 1953. an old timer sent it back to ruger for the safety refit and to have it reblued. the gun came back and he sold it to me. the bluing is beautiful (and i pleaded to sell it to me as is but he was set on sending it in) a deep rich blue/black and the loading gate is still the plum color. it's not a screaming, in your face shiney finish either. this was 1993 maybe. so it came back to the shop i was working at, called the guy, and he wanted to sell it. i still have the factory invoice and of course the original parts they took out on the safety conversion. i never fired it, put a cable tie on the hammer so it couldn't be cocked. but a beautiful factory reblue.
Good to hear. I'm sure the quality of the blue is in direct correlation to how much time was spent on prep. Sounds like Ruger took some pride back in '93 but I'd really like to hear from someone who's used the service recently. How does their work look these days? Anyone got a pic or two?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I decided to go ahead and let Ruger do the refinish. I figured since I use it so much, a high polish master bluing job would be a waste. Wouldn't take me long to mess it up. I also figured if Ruger discovered any worn internals while they've got it apart, they'd probably just go ahead and take care of it.

Called today to get an RMA # and was told that they are not currently taking any elective service jobs until after May 1st.
Bummer :(
Looks like I might just have to wait until next fall when the weather starts to turn cold again. I don't want the GP laid up during the primo shooting months. It's the one gun that goes on every range trip.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
You could polish it yourself before you send it in.
I would.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!

As writer Skeeter Skelton noted in, Shooting Times years ago, very few people have any business in polishing a revolver for bluing.

Done right, that takes great talent and practice.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Sounds like you've decided on the Ruger route but I'll add a comment on Ford's. I've had Ford's re-blue a half dozen revolvers over the past couple of years and their work is superb. Their Master Blue is equal to or better than original S&W or Colt and the cost is reasonable for the end result you get - $250 - $300 range. But the wait has always been 5 to 6 months and as far as I know you can't get a place holder in the que and ship in your gun just before your number comes up. You have to give them the gun and wait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts