Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This puts you "live" in the middle of the first lunar landing. 18 minutes of audio and the descent camera on the lunar module. You hear both the conversations in mission control and the transmissions between mission control and Eagle. I was blown away by it. Many people don't know that they were 30 seconds from running out of fuel when they touched down. When they came in for their approach the landing area was not safe and they and to search for a clear area to put down. The Go no go sequences are points in the flight where they have to decide to continue or scrub. The age before automation, dozens of people watching data to make sure it was all on track, Gene Krantz as the Flight Director with absolute authority over the mission, and Neil Armstrong flying Eagle.

This was put together by a private company, they did an outstanding job.

You might find this interesting. It moves along pretty fast and a little hard to follow. It is the last 18 minutes of the Lunar Module landing on the moon. On the left is the air to ground audio between Charlie Duke the capsule communicator (capcon) and the Apollo 11 crew. On the right is the flight directors loop audio between Gene Kranz and the flight directors. You might have to copy and paste the address in your bowser to open it.

CLICK THE LINK

The First Men on the Moon: The Apollo 11 Lunar Landing

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Here is a link to a site I like to check out at times. He devotes one week's story to Neil Armstrong. An entertaining and very informative write up. He was one truly awesome fella.

Beware; this site contains some pretty salty language, so if you can't or don't want to deal with that then I would suggest you give it a miss.

Badass of the Week: Neil Armstrong

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
That was a nice walk down memory lane for those who were old enough to remember have seen it on television when it actually happened. Definitely enjoyed it! Reminds me also of a time when the U.S. was the undisputed king of technology. Gene Kranz and the whole NASA crew were exceptional!

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
I remember seeing it liveon tv at age 13. I will always remember it.
Myself also, and at the same age..... ;)
Unfortunately, can't access it.
I am using the latest version of my browser, and it doesn't support HTML 5 vid.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was about 15 years old. I remember it well, but NOT in this detail. The news media didn't show all of this.

Thanks for sharing that.

Duane

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was 23. My wife and I were headed home in my '68 Plymouth RoadRunner when the news broke in on our R&R AM station that we, the USA, had put a man on the moon.
Ah! The pride, the jubilation. Lord Jesus I miss America.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks for the link, I remember watching it with my brothers and father. Not yet a teen, it was an amazing time with amazing people.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
My brothers and I were sitting on the floor in front of the TV. The Navy guys in the program had a lot to do with my enlisting in the Navy the next year. It was really great hearing and seeing the graphics that were shown in the program played.

Very cool!

A few years ago, I visited the cape and saw the control room that's on display there. It was neat to see the courser moving around as the different controllers did their jobs. This should be a part of the tour.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I was born on Grand Turk Island 1959 and my day worked on the island for the Cape. Every time a space shot came down near the US recovery would bring the Astronauts to the island. He has photos of all the first Astronauts including VP Johnson. These photos are my treasure and plan to keep them and hand them on to my kids :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.