Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or is it??

The 'main' manual which does NOT include the 9mm specifically mentions the LCR .38 is rated for .38+p, the addendum for the LCR 9mm makes no mention of a +p rating, nor is an advisory against the use of +p given.

Is the 'honeymoon' over already???

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmm, not sure about the LCR9, but there is a big difference in pressure between 38+p and 9mm+p. 9mm is already a high pressure round compared to 38. From what I've heard you won't want to shoot the hot 9mm stuff from the lcr9 anyway.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Having owned, and shot the LCR 357, and owning several other 9mm revolvers(not the LCR-9mm) I can't see how shooting 9mm +P would do any damage to the LCR revolver. The 9mm LCR is on the same frame as the 357, and 357 is serious power in a small revolver. I doubt anything in the 9mm LCR is light duty, compared to the LCR 357

·
Registered
477 Posts
9 mm has the same pressure rating as 357 Magnum. I have seen SAAMI ratings for 9mm +P but never for 357 +P (what does that mean?). After shooting 9mm+P out of my KelTec PF9, I agree with slimjim9 - the lcr9 will probably take the +P better than the shooter will.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
The 9mm LCR is on the same frame as the 357, and 357 is serious power in a small revolver. I doubt anything in the 9mm LCR is light duty, compared to the LCR 357
Pressure and power are not necessarily related. The 357 cylinder has to stand up to up to 35,000 PSI of average pressure (plus any safety margin). A 9mm +P cylinder would have to stand up to 38,500 PSI. I believe the 9mm case head is slightly larger than a .357 as well, meaning the cylinder would be ever so much thinner.

That said, the manual does seem a bit vague. It mentions only using 9mm Luger ammo to US industry standards. Then explicitly mentions not using things like 9mm Short (.380), but makes no mention of 9mm Luger +P. There has been some debate in other threads about whether 9mm +P is a US standard of 9mm, or if the fact they they are different specifications means they are completely unrelated. I.e 9mm Luger +P is, or is not, a US industry standard for 9mm?

Personally I think if they did not expect 9mm +P to be suitable, they would have stated it more unequivocally. Though I also think that if one wants to shoot a lot of full or +P power loads, an LCR or scandium frame or whatever is the wrong platform. These guns trade some strength for weight in order to be more carryable. There's little doubt in my mind that an LCR would hold up less well with the same amount of heavy use than something like an all-steel SP101.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't think that I have ever seen a 9 mm case head stamped with a +P, however, the NATO standard round is a 124 gr. bullet at 1200 fps, which is definitely +P. Be careful with any 9mm military ammo as there is a good chance that it is +P.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what I have learned it seems that the LCR 9 is NOT +P approved for the following reasons; when I googled US standards for ammo (what Ruger says any ammo used in their revolvers must comply with) I ended up with an organization called saami, and according to this organization there is a standard for 9mm Luger and 9mm +p-they are two different kinds of ammo. The manual is clear that the revolver is chambered for 9mm Luger, which by saami definition/classification eliminates the separate and distinct ammo class of 9mm +p.

Makes sense when you realize that for the .38 lcr Ruger states plainly that one may use either .38special or .38 +p as they are also two distinct ammo classifications.

If anyone disagrees I would be interested in reading the reasons-but if the lcr 9 was approved for +p the wording would be the same as in the .38-I think anyway.

This is important to me as I have always considered a gun that has no +p restrictions as being more robustly built than one that is prohibited from using the hotter but saami approved loading; especially in a revolver. A semi has much more going on, more parts, springs and it is easy for me to understand why so many, if not all, makers advise against the use of hot ammo. But a revolver not being approved for +p - especially one I have just bought is a bummer-in fact a +p+ bummer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
or is it??

The 'main' manual which does NOT include the 9mm specifically mentions the LCR .38 is rated for .38+p, the addendum for the LCR 9mm makes no mention of a +p rating, nor is an advisory against the use of +p given.

Is the 'honeymoon' over already???
what I've heard you won't want to shoot the hot 9mm stuff from the lcr9 anyway.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I wonder if their not rating it for 9mm +P was to avoid problems with other unfired rounds in the cylinder jumping crimp.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Call Ruger and ask. Everyone is just guessing.
The person on the other end of the phone will be too. I bet if you call 5 times you'll get yes's and no's. It's not like the materials engineer who worked on the cylinder is going to answer the phone.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As with almost every 9mm round I've tried there is crimp jump to some extent. Blazer aluminum was the worst with the 4th and 5th round coming apart in the cylinder. Thank God I didn't try to fire those! WWB, PMC, Remington, Hornady Critical Defense and Liberty Civil Defense all moved a little in the case but not enough to cause a problem. With every new ammo I've tried, I load the moon clip with 5 rounds, fire three and then check round 4 and 5. The WWB, Hornady and Liberty all move the least. FWIW I carry the Liberty Civil Defense 9mm +P. Not much fun to shoot but devastating on my admittedly unscientific water jug tests. YMMV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you'll at least get one round off Everytime you can pull the trigger no matter what you shoot out of it. Had a over pressured 380 load go off in a pistol it didn't do to much damaged but now I know the limit. But I think a plus p would be fine like said before in a sp101. The lcr barrel is a small but similar strenghth metal only thing going for it may be the tapered seating of the 9mm bullet more likely to get pushed out quicker than a over pressured 357 Round? So I would think if barrel is similair to 357 designed barrel for lcr I'd go for it, somehow safely,if I couldn't find the correct answer from someone who tried.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
My question is if the LCR in 38 spl +P is available why get a 9 mm?

·
Registered
181 Posts
My question is if the LCR in 38 spl +P is available why get a 9 mm?

I agree, though I've looked at the LCR in 9mm because all my other pistols except the SR22 are in 9 and I don't have the cash to invest in yet another caliber (have various rifles too).

Crimp jump is my main reason for not going with the LCR in 9mm. Much better suited to the .38 caliber.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts