Yeah, or if you go to a school!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Concealed or open "wear"..... ;)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I don't get people's facination with these things. They are completely pointless. Poorly made. Poorly designed. Costly to own. Require near constant charging. Jesus, the LED watches from the 70's had better battery life.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get people's facination with these things. They are completely pointless. Poorly made. Poorly designed. Costly to own. Require near constant charging. Jesus, the LED watches from the 70's had better battery life.

Bet you have more than one firearm. Why, you only really need one. Sure I don't really need the watch but I want it and can afford it so why not.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Simply put it's old people trying to be young or young people trying to be cool. :cool:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Its not about having more than one.

Its just at the current state of their life, they are a waste of money. They offer such poor battery life, clunky OS, marginal sensors and sluggish performance. I just can't see buying one. I mean, having to plug it in each day (or maybe 2 if you are lucky) seems wrong. Its a watch. The last watch I had to "recharge" each day was back in the 60's. And it was a wind up. Even the battery sucking LED watches of the 70's would go at least a month on a battery.

Until the 2 decade old watch I had (Citizen ProMaster Hyper Aqualand) died recently (seal breach in salt water), I only had to replace the $2 battery every 2-3 years. Years, not DAYS. This was not a cheap watch. But, I got 20 years out of it. You think you will get 20 years out of a AW2? Dream on. If I could find another of these watches, I would buy it.

But, hey, its your money. You can spend it how you wish. I just think there are better watch alternatives out there. And with the saved cash, you could likely get close to buying another pistol ;)

Maybe is the "Smart"x rebellion in me.
I don't pick up my camera and say "Hello".
I don't expect my pencil to come with apps installed.
I don't pick up the house phone to type a message.
I don't expect my watch to answer emails.

Just how I roll.
I have a good phone.
I have a good camera.
I have(had) a good watch.
I have a good laptop.
I don't want them all in the same device that does all of them poorly and none of them well.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Reminds me of the 2-way wrist TV that Dick Tracy wore in the comics. And I mean that in a good way. When I was a kid that was pure fantasy and I dreamed of such a device. And here it is.

Imagine what these things will do in another 5 to 10 years. The power issues will likely be resolved and the capabilities will be amazing.

Sure they're spendy today and perhaps even a bit clunky. But things have to start somewhere. I remember my dad bought an electric calculator back in the 1970s that plugged into the wall and could add, subtract, multiply and divide. It was around 6 inches wide and 14 inches long and had glowing green numbers (LED?) My dad paid over $100 for that calculator back when $100 was the better part of his take home pay for the week. I thought it was very cool (and wished I could somehow sneak it into Shepherd Boulevard Elementary School for math class.) Today you can buy a smaller, more powerful calculator that needs no batteries for 99 cents at the Dollar Store. Same thing will happen with products like the Apple Watch.

I used to be into watches. Seriously, kinda like how I'm into guns now. Horological magazine, watch forums, etc. A watch is quite often not a practical purchase but rather an extension of one's personality, style, taste and interests. The nicest watch I ever owned had a perpetual calendar that showed the date, month, year, moon phase, and would do so accurately for something like 142 years. It had several stop watch features, and the bezel could be used as a slide rule. I think it did more but I've forgotten now. Maybe it had an espresso function, I dunno. All this using a mechanical "automatic" movement. It was complicated (in watch terms these features are called complications), beautiful, a conversation piece.....and kept lousy time. Thousands of dollars spent when a $40 Casio would perform better. But that wasn't the point. It wasn't about telling time but rather about a great many other things, most of which I've now forgotten but the residual feeling I have about it is that is was a fine watch that I enjoyed while it was mine.

So I get it Airdale - nice watch.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Its not about having more than one.

Maybe is the "Smart"x rebellion in me.
I don't pick up my camera and say "Hello".
I don't expect my pencil to come with apps installed.
I don't pick up the house phone to type a message.
I don't expect my watch to answer emails.

Just how I roll.
I have a good phone.
I have a good camera.
I have(had) a good watch.
I have a good laptop.
I don't want them all in the same device that does all of them poorly and none of them well.

Ditto. :D

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I think they would suspend you from school for that.

But I love it.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I understand,Airdale.
But I'll just keep my watch with hands that go around.
My Casio is waterproof to 100m and I think the price was ~$40 when I bought 5 years ago. Changed the battery once and the band once over the years. Probably still be ticking in another 5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts