Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LGS has a nice #1 in .222 I love .222 but never owned it in a single shot. It seems to be priced high to me but I really don't have any idea of real value other than seeing a few listed on the auction sites that haven't sold. Possible trade for a S&W Trail Boss 629..

I've heard stories of how hard the trigger pulls are on the #1, how difficult is that to fix/change?

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
How much?

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Well, I hate to say it but that's in the ball park from what I've seen. To be honest I really don't see that many 222's for sale. A couple of years ago I got into a bidding war for a #1 International chambered in .243. The only reason I wanted it was because it was unfired and it was going to stay that way. Long story short, once it hit $1350 I let it go.

If it has good wood/bluing and still has a throat left in it I wouldn't consider it a bad price, but that's me. The #1 is in a class of its own.

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Never mind. Just found they ruined the .222 with a 1:9 twist barrel. That ruins everything a .222 is to me. No interest in a neutered .223.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Never mind. Just found they ruined the .222 with a 1:9 twist barrel. That ruins everything a .222 is to me. No interest in a neutered .223.
I just found out that the .222 only changed to 1:9 recently. This is older than 2013 and appears to be 1:14 twist rate so I'm back to being more interested again.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I just found out that the .222 only changed to 1:9 recently. This is a much older model and appears to still have it's 1:14 twist rate so I'm back to being more interested again.

Is there any premium for the older models? Any difference in build quality of the earlier models? This is a big expense for me so I want to be sure it's something I really want to do. Also has the original Ruger scope rings but no scope.

Generally the wood is much better on the older models, in my opinion it has more character than what's being put out today. Some folks like the "red pad" which sets it a part from the newer models. The down side is the barrels were known to be hit or miss, they were coming from various manufactures.

Bottom line is the gun will retain its value, guys will pay top dollar for them. To be honest with you I don't see many .222's for sale that often.

If it still has a throat left in it and still has good wood I'd consider buying it.

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After another look and some more bickering I gave it a new home. It does have the nicest wood of anything I own (not saying a lot). It appears to be in near perfect condition, there isn't even a tip knocked off any of the checkering. If it has been used, it was done very carefully. I was surprised when I looked up the SN (low 3000s) it was made in 1968. Pretty nice for a 49 year old rifle. I think it will be a fun shooter. I also read that these early rifles all had Douglas barrels, never heard of a bad Douglas barrel. Time to get back to reloading .222!

Scope rings are Ruger but not the original ones for the rifle. Scope is going to be another expense. I can't see putting a 3x9 discount house scope on this.. Might have to look for a decent target scope from the same period.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I remember you saying the seller wanted just over a grand......that was money well spent. I myself wouldn't have had to think about that purchase to long.

That is a beautiful #1, I do like the .222 chambering too. Congrats!!

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope you like your No. 1! Lord knows I do!

Oh, and just to warn you, you WILL be looking at another in the near future...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hadn't considered the issue with the scope mounts on this rifle. They just don't fit modern compact scopes too well. Fortunately I have a few old scopes and settled on an old Weaver K6 with the range finder reticle. The combination of longer tube and longer eye relief puts my eye in about the perfect spot for this rifle. For the .222 I think the K6 will be plenty. I have a K10 if it isn't. I just liked the way the gun looks with the K6. It doesn't overwhelm the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I've found you need to use offset rings with most scopes on the #1, but not always. Let us know how it shoots. Are you sure it has a Douglas barrel on it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a tack driver but I did get it to the range. Won't blame the gun yet. I think this rifle was unfired as best as I can tell. It might take awhile to break in the barrel. First 10 shots after getting it on paper were all over the place (6" or so at 100 yds). After that things started to settle down and got a lot better. By the time I had 40 rounds through it I was down to about 1 1/2" groups (off of a bean bag rest).

I think there is more technique to learn here. I did notice that there was a noticeable change depending on where the rest was setting. I think I'll make a rest just to fit this rifle and get it as close to the action as I can.

Rifle is just the way it was made, no screw has ben turned. Front stock is definitely not free floating. Ammo was some I had loaded for an old Remington 788 I used to have. Some load development might help a LOT.

Bottom line is I think there is a lot of potential here. It's going to take a little work but I think it will be worth it in the end. It won't be competing in any bench rest matches but fun will be had.

I also swapped out the Weaver 6X for a Unertl Vulture 10x scope. Little more scope but the extra long body of the Unertl worked perfect for the #1 and keeps with the vintage of the gun..

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Congrats on a very nice rifle, I have a few of the red pad No.1's and love them. Just be warned, they are addictive.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
looks like that rifle and you have begun a long term thing,, its a beautiful bit of steel and wood too..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts