Ruger Forum banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mark204 They don't appear to be crimped. When I sized a few hundred the other day I ran the pocket primer a couple turns in each. I looked around the top of the rim for that residue that I saw in a video about cleaning cases that had primers crimped in there. The person that did the video used the deburring tool and just took a couple turns in each direction to get rid of it. I have not primed any 5.56 yet. I assume I will have a hard time priming if they haven't been properly cleaned.

I fired those first 10 rounds and everything went great. The window I had was between 7.2 and 8.0 so I went with 7.7 and then trickled it up to 7.8 and the other scale verified it. I didn't trickle with it on the scale though. I took it off the scale each time when adding.... very little... and it was very tedious. I should get the new scale on Thursday. The accuracy and power was great. I fired 5 rounds of my Jesse James 180 black label and it was significantly more powerful than those. I didn't expect them to be as powerful as the Underwood 135gr, but I wish I had brought some of the Underwood 180s to compare it. It felt like they were just about the same. That is what I'll do tomorrow.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,718 Posts
Yeah, my main regret so far is going cheap on the scales. The scales were part of the packages that were recommended by others, but I just overlooked them by placing too much faith in the little digital ones. You gotta have trust in your equipment and while I trust what I'm doing so far, the need to improve my scale situation is a high priority.
Get a set of check weights. My scale is a cheap balance beam from RCBS, but I trust it. I calibrate with the weights before loading, check several loads, then recalibrate during the loading session.

A few extra minutes spent triple-checking things never hurt anyone when reloading.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
American, Get a good balance beam scale even used from a known source. I bought my Ohaus M 5 (RCBS 10-19) used in '62 and used it through '16 when I sold it, still accurate I did not need 3 scales also I liked the drum type gr./1/10 gr.vernier.

·
Registered
191 Posts
American, Get a good balance beam scale even used from a known source. I bought my Ohaus M 5 (RCBS 10-19) used in '62 and used it through '16 when I sold it, still accurate I did not need 3 scales also I liked the drum type gr./1/10 gr.vernier.
That scale could be considered an antique. lol I don't think I could part with something I had that long. The new scale arrives today. The RCBS M1000.

I ordered the newer RCBS hand primer today. I did see people complaining about the priming with my press in the reviews before I bought it, but also saw a lot of other complaints with a lot of other presses about their priming systems. It installed the large primers in my 10mm casings with ease, no problems whatsoever. But then yesterday I switched to the small primers with the 5.56 and it was horrible. If they went in the cup right side up, it was a breeze, but getting them in the cup correct was the hard part. They kept getting clogged in the tube and coming out sideways or upside down. I just started putting them in the cup by hand and solved the problem. Hopefully I will have better luck with the hand primer.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I ordered the newer RCBS hand primer today. I did see people complaining about the priming with my press in the reviews before I bought it, but also saw a lot of other complaints with a lot of other presses about their priming systems. It installed the large primers in my 10mm casings with ease, no problems whatsoever. But then yesterday I switched to the small primers with the 5.56 and it was horrible. If they went in the cup right side up, it was a breeze, but getting them in the cup correct coming out sideways or upside down. I just started putting them in the cup by hand and solved the problem. Hopefully I will have better luck with the hand primer.
American, which RCBS hand primer do you have coming, the Universal or the other one? Rather than looking at past posts, (actually I’m lazy) which press did you end up getting that’s giving you feed issues? I’m pretty spoiled.....I had a feed issue with my Dillon some years ago, I needed one small part, a rod actually.......the guy at Dillon didn’t see it that way, he sent me a complete priming system instead.

·
Registered
191 Posts
American, which RCBS hand primer do you have coming, the Universal or the other one? Rather than looking at past posts, (actually I’m lazy) which press did you end up getting that’s giving you feed issues? I’m pretty spoiled.....I had a feed issue with my Dillon some years ago, I needed one small part, a rod actually.......the guy at Dillon didn’t see it that way, he sent me a complete priming system instead.
It is the universal one. Hopefully it is alright.

I got the Lyman All American 8. It works real good with the large primers. And it works good with the small ones as long as I place the primer in the cup and bypass the intended feed system.

I got the scale. Seems pretty good. When or if I prove to be competent at this, I'll invest more in other equipment. The charge master seems like a must in the future.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
It is the universal one. Hopefully it is alright.
You’ll like the universal, (no shell holder needed)........you can swap out between large and small primers in about 5 minutes. They say it will prime case down to .223 but it will prime .20 caliber. Since it’s hand held you can get a better “feel” for the seating. JMO

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
American, I'm glad you got a good balance, I've not had any experience with that model but it looks good! As for the M5 it wasn't easy to let it go but these old fingers were having some issues with the light poise (gr/1/10gr) .

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get a set of check weights. My scale is a cheap balance beam from RCBS, but I trust it. I calibrate with the weights before loading, check several loads, then recalibrate during the loading session.

A few extra minutes spent triple-checking things never hurt anyone when reloading.
Wow. I check my beam scale maybe once a year.

In the 20+ years I've had it I've never had to adjust it. Just make sure it's sitting level.

I load on a Dillon 650. Once the powder measure is dialed in checking the throw weight is mental masturbation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Disgustipated : This Ruger Forum and the people here are the Most Knowledgeable people I've ever seen when it comes to Reloading and Gun's . I have Definitely learned a tremendously lot of useful information . I would first say Safety is first tool that you would need Can Never Get Enough of it.
Distraction is your Biggest Enemy along with Fatigue . You need at least 100% of your undivided attention . I'm not saying this to Scare you but to Educate . Learning the Fundamentals of Reloading is not only Rewarding as it is Enjoyable and I Love it and Live it with a Passion . To me and it is (IMO) Very therapeutic and relaxes me to know end . It takes me back to a time well spent with my Father teaching me the Do's and Don'ts . So with that said I will tell you like I was told When I first joined . Welcome and Listen and Learn . Sorry if I got off track a little . I hope this helps you and enjoy

Thanks
100% agreed. Safety is always my top priority and that was instilled in me since childhood. I wasn't even allowed to carry my own rifle until I passed the Hunter's safety course which my step dad at the time ran and he made sure to make me do a lot of the examples and assisting. Appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Wow, I returned to his threat to find even more of a wealth of valuable information than last time I checked it. I have it bookmarked and as one commenter said about the Ruger forum having experienced and knowledgeable folks and I couldn't agree more. I am building toward the budget I intend to use to get started and have bookmarked this thread and will likely reference it (as well as a good manual) for months possible even years once I get started. It is actually 38spcl/357 mag and 45 Colt that I plan to load/reload. I have a buddy with a 5 stage press and he does 9mm and 223/556...so I can always get a few rounds off him when I give him the brass I save for him haha. I've seen different people say it's more of a hobby than a way to save money and asked me what it would be to me, and I say definitely both. Something like reloading would be the exact same is field stripping my firearms for cleaning. Relaxing, therapeutic, a passtime that I would seriously enjoy. I can't help but be pretty much 100% positive though it will save me money on 45 Colt as that round is INSANELY expensive. So yeah it will be 38/357 and 45 Colt. My other options or rounds I shoot in general are 22lr, 9mm, 223/5.56, 30-30, 7mm rem mag, and 12 guage. 223/5.56 and 38/357 mag are by a landslide the rounds I shoot the most of (I am a big revolver guy). After what I've read and heard from knowledgeable folks including the great people on this forum, I'm not interested in 223/556 and like I said, my buddy and his dad have a 5 stage press that does that and 9mm so I can always take my brass to them. But 38 special is what I like to let inexperienced shooters use out of my GP100 and occasionally I'll shoot with 38's myself. 357 mag from my GP100 is my absolutely favorite to shoot and what I believe I would find the most fun in loading. 45 Colt would be both fun and money-saving for me. I would like to experiment with low pressure cowboy loads and maybe a small batch of hotter stuff that is still rated safe for my firearm. With the price of 45 Colt, there is no way that wasn't going to be one of my picks....the cost is outrageous! But I definitely appreciate all of you and the wealth of information, knowledge, and experience y'all shared with me. Now I can just keep the thread bookmarked and reference it whenever. I have 150 already set aside toward my budget to get set up, so by fall or winter hopefully. I'm glad this thread has also helped others thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge and experiences. Much appreciated, hope everyone has a great weekend!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Once you are set up and loading your own ammo you will find it easy to manufacture .45 Colt ammo that will not intimidate new shooters and might not 'need' so much .38 Special for that GP100. I still recommend picking ONE cartridge (your choice, but making that .45 Colt will solve your other 'cost of .45 ammo' issue) to start with. The fundamentals are the same for any rimmed, straight wall revolver cartridge so learning to size, trim (when needed), prime, charge, seat and crimp on that one will be transferable skills. Learning what it takes (and means) to get that ONE right will make it easier to add others later rather than trying several at once.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Once you are set up and loading your own ammo you will find it easy to manufacture .45 Colt ammo that will not intimidate new shooters and might not 'need' so much .38 Special for that GP100. I still recommend picking ONE cartridge (your choice, but making that .45 Colt will solve your other 'cost of .45 ammo' issue) to start with. The fundamentals are the same for any rimmed, straight wall revolver cartridge so learning to size, trim (when needed), prime, charge, seat and crimp on that one will be transferable skills. Learning what it takes (and means) to get that ONE right will make it easier to add others later rather than trying several at once.

Bruce
Excellent advice! Should be part of the sticky.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts