Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The August 2020 NRA mag has an article on two AR pistols by Springfied. In the box with performance figures, the 50 yard accuracy was pretty good, but the muzzle energy was mediocre. A 4” .357 magnum can throw out more muzzle energy depending on ammo choice, and a lever rifle even more. In fact, +P 9mm from a 16” barrel has more muzzle energy, per ballisticsbytheinch.com.

Many ranges only allow pistol calibers due to limitation on back stops, so you can’t practice with a pistol AR just anywhere. The ammo is more expensive, and kind of wasted in the short barrel. So what’s the appeal of these things? I just don’t get it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Personally, I think they are of questionable utility for the average civilian gun owner.

IMHO, the popularity of the AR pistol took off when they invented the arm brace, which works as well as a rifle stock. So, regular Joes can have essentially a SBR without all the silly paperwork.

Any AR owner that is honest will tell you a full size 20 inch is better than a 16. And both are much better than a pistol length AR.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OTOH, I’ve heard gun store experts claim ,357 in a snubbie is wasted, which isn’t strictly true. You still get “more” velocity and energy than .38.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,756 Posts
I do not see the utility, and gun-makers wanting to get us to buy yet another gun.

But I do not favor an AR for anything other than homestead defense, where a full-sized weapon is preferable. That is where mine really shines. In the house I want a handgun or shotgun, though a PCC might be a good pick if you want capacity.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When you start having to shoot people when they are running as fast as they can...at you or away from you, you will quickly realize the advantage over any handgun rounds or PCCs. The only difference between my AR pistol and my AR15 16 inch is a little more power hitting the steel... and not much more. I have a Spike's 8.2 inch with the brace and it is no different handling than my AR on the shortest position of the butt stock. I always kept my stock as short as possible while others insisted on it being extended all the way out. And the main reason I got it, pretty much the only reason I got it was so I could carry it handy with a loaded round (in the car or truck)... and I named it "Baltimore" to give you a reference of when I bought it. lol

·
Registered
951 Posts
More energy is always better. But is the lower energy still more than
adequate to do the job?
Similar with "over penetration". Wouldn't blood loss from 2 holes per shot be more desirable over 1 hole? Ideally, the projectile would exit and fall to the ground 1" behind the "target".
As to platform, AR pistol in this discussion, that's an individual preference. Not everyone likes a Glock 19.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I have one too, a 11.5" 5 56. It is very easily to run in the confines of a house. It has way more capacity than a 38 or 357 which most are wheel guns except the coonan or desert eagle 357, so faster reloads. The are already easy to put optics on too not so with many pistols. I find mine likes the 75 grain bthp at 2500 to 2600 range by the manuals specs, more than enough for bad guy stopping if needed. They are also as stated great where you are in tight areas. Outside i would perfer a longer barrel, or bigger caliber.

But they are fun, low recoil, and can serve several purposes.

Addition here is mine. I do highly recommend a flash can, to divert the muzzle blast forward. The shorty is 3 times as loud as the 16" version.

Another interesting fact this one is the sane size as my steyr Aug with a 16" barrel.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have a 10.5, 5.56 made from a kit. I wanted a "truck gun" for my daily driver, a Nissan 350 Z. Long guns don't work as well in a sports car. My needs for social work will probably never be in the 200 yards and beyond range. The short barrel and adjustable brace is a hoot. You need a device to throw the sound forward but PSA has you covered there. For me, the question was. why do I need a 16 inch or longer AR-15? I am only looking at 100 yards or less for where I live and work. It just fits my needs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I mainly shoot steel, but Paul Harrel has his Meat Targets. If anyone is interested in his test comparing 20 inch hits to 10.5 inch hits on a meat target at 200 yards. It's exactly what I expected.

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Without a red dot they seem pointless to me, and astigmatism rules out red dots for me. I'll take a pass on the AR pistol craze. Besides, my AR is in 6.5 Grendel and I don't see it being much of a pistol round.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Without a red dot they seem pointless to me, and astigmatism rules out red dots for me. I'll take a pass on the AR pistol craze. Besides, my AR is in 6.5 Grendel and I don't see it being much of a pistol round.
You would he surprised. the 6.8spc was designed to be deployed with a short barrel, better than the 5.56 of the same length.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Spiff how does a green laser look to you? I see mine as much faster than a red dot. Hit the momentary on switch, align with target, fire, release switch. You dont have to look low into a tube so it is faster. About a 1 second on time for the light and then target is hit and light goes off. They have some pretty bright lasers for not a lot of money. Just a thought.

·
Cat Herder
1,629 Posts
Spiff how does a green laser look to you? I see mine as much faster than a red dot. Hit the momentary on switch, align with target, fire, release switch. You dont have to look low into a tube so it is faster. About a 1 second on time for the light and then target is hit and light goes off. They have some pretty bright lasers for not a lot of money. Just a thought.
I can do a laser. I actually have a UTG bulldot on my 870, even my dad with macular degeneration (he can't use sights or scopes) can see it well. The bulldots spread with distance.

I guess I should clarify, I can see the use of the AR pistols for home defense distances with a laser but I'd still prefer my 870. For range fun and hunting purposes I'll pass because a laser isn't as useful there.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
732 Posts
I built mine more as a novelty than any other reason. I started it 2 years ago, before the craze hit, but only finished it a couple months ago.

Unlike a lot of others, I dispensed with the brace and don't plan on shouldering it.

Mine's in 9mm.

I do see where it would have some benefits in a home defense situation, but no more than a 9mm handgun with standard capacity mags. If I had the choice between this and my RAP 9mm, I'd actually take the RAP in a home defense situation. But, I live in a row-home with tight hallways and stairways.

Aqualung

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
The August 2020 NRA mag has an article on two AR pistols by Springfied. In the box with performance figures, the 50 yard accuracy was pretty good, but the muzzle energy was mediocre. A 4” .357 magnum can throw out more muzzle energy depending on ammo choice, and a lever rifle even more. In fact, +P 9mm from a 16” barrel has more muzzle energy, per ballisticsbytheinch.com.

Many ranges only allow pistol calibers due to limitation on back stops, so you can’t practice with a pistol AR just anywhere. The ammo is more expensive, and kind of wasted in the short barrel. So what’s the appeal of these things? I just don’t get it.

I'm with you. Not my cup o' tea. But to many, they look cool and bad @zz. Now, I'll be happy to shoot one if the opportunity arises. Just don't see one taking up residence in my firearms locker.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have one too, a 11.5" 5 56. It is very easily to run in the confines of a house. It has way more capacity than a 38 or 357 which most are wheel guns except the coonan or desert eagle 357, so faster reloads. The are already easy to put optics on too not so with many pistols. I find mine likes the 75 grain bthp at 2500 to 2600 range by the manuals specs, more than enough for bad guy stopping if needed. They are also as stated great where you are in tight areas. Outside i would perfer a longer barrel, or bigger caliber.

But they are fun, low recoil, and can serve several purposes.

Addition here is mine. I do highly recommend a flash can, to divert the muzzle blast forward. The shorty is 3 times as loud as the 16" version.

Another interesting fact this one is the sane size as my steyr Aug with a 16" barrel.

View attachment 145460
Hey Tacky,
That looks a whole lot like my gun.
Matter of fact, that looks like my tool box and my stickers. And that looks like my AK gun cleaning mat and my little red rubber socket holders too!
How'd you get in my house? Lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Hey Tacky,
That looks a whole lot like my gun.
Matter of fact, that looks like my tool box and my stickers. And that looks like my AK gun cleaning mat and my little red rubber socket holders too!
How'd you get in my house? Lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
im swift and quiet like a ninja. :censored:

But you do have great tastes my friend.

Reactions: ricosavue

·
Righteous Dude
21,612 Posts
There are practical purposes. Various LE and military units use short AR configurations. Velocity and energy clearly is not the same as a 20" barrel, but they get the work done. Cartridges like 300 Blackout really shine in these size pistols as well.

On a different note, they're also fun and they look cool. That sells! People also just enjoy the sport and what to have fun or even experience that rifle/pistol they saw in a movie.

All good with me. I recently bought a Marlin 1895 45-70 and have no reason to have one aside from the fact that I apparently want to shoot big, expensive, antiquated rounds! 🤣

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
. I recently bought a Marlin 1895 45-70 and have no reason to have one aside from the fact that I apparently want to shoot big, expensive, antiquated rounds! 🤣
Dont we all... (y)

Reactions: Neon Horse
1 - 20 of 38 Posts