Ruger Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts

One is more painful than the other.

I tested 100 of my reloads in my AR15. I was going to test out a 100 more in my AR pistol the next day but it was way too hot... I think that was over a week ago and each day seem to be just as miserable. lol Maybe the end of this week.

Does anyone lighten the grains on reloads for an AR pistol? If so, by how much? I bet it is probably not even worth working up a different load for it.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I use a 75 grain hornady bthp match in mine, with h4895, I started at the bottom with the charge and worked up until it produced the best groups consistantly. That same load is also used in my national match rifle, and 1988 mini 14.

Reactions: American

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have no idea of the validity and since I do not own one of these I have only limited interest. A link was sent to me about BATFE posturing to eliminate the arm brace from these "pistols" to close the SBR window they inadvertently opened. They are going to use the same process as what was used to outlaw the bump stock.

I am refraining from posting the link, but search for yourself. Guns and Ammo wrote the article.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I read that article a week or so ago. It's pretty sad that they are flip flopping as they are. lol First some letter saying yes, then a letter saying no, then a clarification letter specifying Yes again, and that it would not be a violation to fire with the brace on your shoulder

I put my nose right up to the charging handle, same as the AR15. The brace is a little more comfortable in my shoulder but I don't need it. I used to have the little rubber cover for the buffer tube, similar to the handles on long shovels and other hand tools, and it fired with no issues in the pocket of my shoulder... not as comfortable but no big deal.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I have no idea of the validity and since I do not own one of these I have only limited interest. A link was sent to me about BATFE posturing to eliminate the arm brace from these "pistols" to close the SBR window they inadvertently opened. They are going to use the same process as what was used to outlaw the bump stock.

I am refraining from posting the link, but search for yourself. Guns and Ammo wrote the article.
They have gone back and forth on the brace verdict several times, so im not surprised if that is true, however i dont believe it until it happens, which is the best policy since the rest is just open ended gossip.

The brace is subject to debate widely. In my opinion a pistol with a brace is no more powerful, dangerous or capable than one with just a buffer tube. The sinister aspect is determined by the intentions of the end user, no different than any other firearm, knife, car, baseball bat, hammer, or drug.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use a 75 grain hornady bthp match in mine, with h4895, I started at the bottom with the charge and worked up until it produced the best groups consistantly. That same load is also used in my national match rifle, and 1988 mini 14.
That is the powder I have been looking for. I have 8lbs of varget for the time being, but each place I look for the h4895 online, it is always out of stock and not in my LGS. No big deal though. I'll track some down at some time. lol

·
Registered
303 Posts
They have gone back and forth on the brace verdict several times, so im not surprised if that is true, however i dont believe it until it happens, which is the best policy since the rest is just open ended gossip.

The brace is subject to debate widely. In my opinion a pistol with a brace is no more powerful, dangerous or capable than one with just a buffer tube. The sinister aspect is determined by the intentions of the end user, no different than any other firearm, knife, car, baseball bat, hammer, or drug.
I would only disagree to the point that it is blatantly obvious that the arm brace was designed to be used as a shoulder stock. The brace is an obvious end around on the SBR laws. When they first came out, I gave them a few months to get banned and was pleasantly suprised. I dont want one, but damn sure want you to have one if you so choose.

FWIW, I am all for the arm braces. I think SBRs and silencers have long past the time when the tax stamp should have been removed.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I would only disagree to the point that it is blatantly obvious that the arm brace was designed to be used as a shoulder stock. The brace is an obvious end around on the SBR laws. When they first came out, I gave them a few months to get banned and was pleasantly suprised. I dont want one, but damn sure want you to have one if you so choose.

FWIW, I am all for the arm braces. I think SBRs and silencers have long past the time when the tax stamp should have been removed.
I agree however think about the foam piece ( pre arm brace buffer tube) on the buffer tube, thats mot for looks either. It was ok before the sig braces came along. I do say that the sig brace and alike probably do allow disabled veterans injured in combat that have a hard time enjoying the firearms hobby, i am all for that, and support the troops. However the brace was expanded and adapted to be used differently than it was designed. No different than hydrocodone pills or street cars turned into drag racers, as an example. I just feel an ar pistol with the old buffer tube versus the sig brace can both be concealed just as easy, isnt that what the nfa is againsr? Pistol being labelled by atf as a firearm being fired by one hand. How many shoot a pistol of any sort only one handed? Everybody is guilry of that.

I am with you i feel the suppressor and sbr thing is ignorant. I believe they should be purchased the same as any firearm. It would protect our hearing, no more getting blasted by muzzle brakes at the range, and less noise. The sbr is a moot point since we all know that the shorter barrel makes you lose velocity, kinetic energy, and is no more dangerous than its longer family members. If you can get a CCW permit, you should be entitled to sbr's equally, no stamp, wait, or extra money.

I would really value a suppressor since i have hearing loss from riding the fire engine over 20 years. I would like to protect what i have left.

Great conversation, i am enjoying it! (y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you can get a CCW permit, you should be entitled to sbr's equally, no stamp, wait, or extra money.

I would really value a suppressor since i have hearing loss from riding the fire engine over 20 years. I would like to protect what i have left.

I'm not sure what exactly extra the ATF does when they do their background check that justifies a year long wait... or even a couple weeks wait for that matter. As far as I know it is just a regular FBI background check and the year long wait is totally unnecessary. I have a few suppressors and the shortest wait was 4 months and the longest was 12 months... for what I have no idea. I wish it would at least go back to how it was before Obama had the rules changed in July 2016.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree however think about the foam piece ( pre arm brace buffer tube) on the buffer tube, thats mot for looks either. It was ok before the sig braces came along. I do say that the sig brace and alike probably do allow disabled veterans injured in combat that have a hard time enjoying the firearms hobby, i am all for that, and support the troops...... clipped here by Corndog because I am only responding to this one point.........and the rest....

Be very careful to stay out of a corner you might be painting yourself into. I admire vets myself, my father did 22 years and was negatively affected by his service, some are injured on the outside and many on the inside......but as long as they are law abiding citizens, they should not be conferred anymore or any less "rights" than you and I. A legal theory could take it a step further and say vets are trained and as such should be somehow grandfathered past regulations that really should not be infringed where any of us that are law abiding are concerned. I am really walking a tight rope here and do not want this to devolve into politics.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Be very careful to stay out of a corner you might be painting yourself into. I admire vets myself, my father did 22 years and was negatively affected by his service, some are injured on the outside and many on the inside......but as long as they are law abiding citizens, they should not be conferred anymore or any less "rights" than you and I. A legal theory could take it a step further and say vets are trained and as such should be somehow grandfathered past regulations that really should not be infringed where any of us that are law abiding are concerned. I am really walking a tight rope here and do not want this to devolve into politics.
Yes i agree, we will circumvent the poltics, i was just stating facts off what i have read on the subject.

So we do agree its completely dumfounding. Some nfa stuff is outdated, and in need of dropping from the list. I pray one day it will.

But back to pistols i do enjoy the ar pistols, but they are LOUD, so i recommend a flash can. The others beside you will appreciate it too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fun! That's the primary reason they exist.

Secondary reasons would be 1. can have loaded in a vehicle without breaking poaching laws 2. uses 30 round magazines of a potent round 3. compact platform that still allows use of optics, lights, etc. 4. gives the shooter that is used to the AR platform and is most proficient with that platform a smaller, more nimble firearm.

I think even the military doesn't run longer than 14.5" on M4's.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
That is the powder I have been looking for. I have 8lbs of varget for the time being, but each place I look for the h4895 online, it is always out of stock and not in my LGS. No big deal though. I'll track some down at some time. lol
I have tried alot of powders, w748, varget h335, benchmark, h4895. imr 3031 and a few others my best results for the 75 bthp and 77 smk is with h4895 and cci primer.
The h335 shines with the 40 vmax. I use varget, and benchmark for the 52 bthp and 55 fmj.

The h4895 is also really awesome in the 25-45 sharps with the 117 grain interlock. Their was no data so i worked up my own for that round.

But yes some powders are missing in action right now, which sucks. I have about 40 or 50 pounds of assorted powder, havent been shooting in a while, so havent reloaded or needed too. If they have h4895 or h50bmg next time i go to my honey hole. i might pick up a pound of each just for later. Been loading alot of 50bmg lately. 750 amax is a juggernaut. But i need to get more brass for 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc to bring my supplies up. This was my 6.5 grendel with a shilen barrel @ 100. 5 shots .557"

This is the 50bmg @ 200 yards 6 shots 1.700"

Cranking them out

Reactions: American

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have tried alot of powders, w748, varget h335, benchmark, h4895. imr 3031 and a few others my best results for the 75 bthp and 77 smk is with h4895 and cci primer.
The h335 shines with the 40 vmax. I use varget, and benchmark for the 52 bthp and 55 fmj.

The h4895 is also really awesome in the 25-45 sharps with the 117 grain interlock. Their was no data so i worked up my own for that round.

But yes some powders are missing in action right now, which sucks. I have about 40 or 50 pounds of assorted powder, havent been shooting in a while, so havent reloaded or needed too. If they have h4895 or h50bmg next time i go to my honey hole. i might pick up a pound of each just for later. Been loading alot of 50bmg lately. 750 amax is a juggernaut. But i need to get more brass for 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc to bring my supplies up. This was my 6.5 grendel with a shilen barrel @ 100. 5 shots .557"

View attachment 145515

This is the 50bmg @ 200 yards 6 shots 1.700"

View attachment 145516

Cranking them out
View attachment 145517
Those are the definition of tight groups.

All I load right now in 5.56 is the 55gr. I read the h4895 is better for the heavier loads which is why I was wanting to get a bottle of it now for when I do want to load heavier. But as it turns out, being late to the game at this point in time has it's consequences. lol I'm set up pretty good for the most part though so I can't really complain. If I would have started a few weeks later than I did I would have far less than what I have now and hardly any primers. For brass, I'll have to rely on my factory ammo... which I have plenty of. My brass does not look as pretty as yours. lol

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Those are the definition of tight groups.

All I load right now in 5.56 is the 55gr. I read the h4895 is better for the heavier loads which is why I was wanting to get a bottle of it now for when I do want to load heavier. But as it turns out, being late to the game at this point in time has it's consequences. lol I'm set up pretty good for the most part though so I can't really complain. If I would have started a few weeks later than I did I would have far less than what I have now and hardly any primers. For brass, I'll have to rely on my factory ammo... which I have plenty of. My brass does not look as pretty as yours. lol
i tried to send the info via conversation but cannot for some reason. Weird!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I looked at a American Tactically AR pistol yesterday. It was $430 + tax;. It comes with an arm brace. I also read the article in the the American Rifleman and it said to use a soft point projectile. Expansion is the key to the short barrel. At least that's what I got out of it. Plus I just don't think need another gun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The August 2020 NRA mag has an article on two AR pistols by Springfied. In the box with performance figures, the 50 yard accuracy was pretty good, but the muzzle energy was mediocre. A 4” .357 magnum can throw out more muzzle energy depending on ammo choice, and a lever rifle even more. In fact, +P 9mm from a 16” barrel has more muzzle energy, per ballisticsbytheinch.com.

Many ranges only allow pistol calibers due to limitation on back stops, so you can’t practice with a pistol AR just anywhere. The ammo is more expensive, and kind of wasted in the short barrel. So what’s the appeal of these things? I just don’t get it.
They have many uses. They just require the right ammo and/or right caliber. SWAT & HRT use them daily. My 9” Barrel - Suppressed -Sig MCX In 300 BLK is wicked. My GORILLA Subsonic 205 gr expands like four big claws and is whisper quiet. But I also have a 10 & 10.5” Barrel 5.56 ARs that are amazing. Load with Black Hills 50 Grain Optimized TSX or FEDERAL 62 Grain XM556SBCT3 (aka: FBIT3 / TBBC - “TACTICAL BONDED BEAR CLAW” used by the FBI in SBRs) and you have tremendous and deadly firepower..

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Its a pistol, registered as a pistol, and sb15 sig brace installed with a pistol buffer tube. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: gunjunkie
21 - 38 of 38 Posts