Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I purchased an AR-10 and now I'd like to invest in a scope. What scope would you recommend that has great glass and worth the investment?

My budget is between $400 - $800. Any info would help a lot :)

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
What application will the rifle be used for? There are a lot of options for ARs from the low power variable (tactical) scopes to high magnification target options.

For most hunting applications, a 3-9x is a good choice.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,753 Posts
I am with Eastman ^^^^^^^.

What are you wanting to do with it. I have many ar 10 platforms in many calibers and many different optics. Eotech on my 16" carbine, burris eliminator laser range finder on my 24" heavy 308, 3x9x50 nikon bdc on my 338 federal 20", 6x24x50 nikon monarch fine crosshair on my 18" 243 win, wife has a 3x9x40 nikon ar series scope with compensator turrets on her 16" 308win. So their are many options. First that come to mind are Vortex, Nikon, Burris, Sig, Athelon, and if you really want to drop coin nightforce, usoptics. I run a vortex viper pst first focal plane 6x24x50 illuminated on my barrett 99 in 50bmg, and built a 308 20" for a friend with the same scope, it has never had any issues is probably near the top of your budget. You could go with the second focal plane model thats $100 cheaper if you don't need first focal plane. Its a great scope either way. Have a friend with am athelon 6x24x50 on his ruger precision 6.5 creedmoor thats a great scope and in your budget range.

So whats your needs?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,753 Posts
I would say nothing is unacceptable for your purpose pertaining to magnification. However I recommend a nikon 3x9x50, 4x12x50, with the bdc marks. They make quick estimating of shots at distances if you use the nikon spot on software on a smart phone, and which bdc circle to use. They are great for hunting. Vortex makes great scopes with lifetime warranties. I own several. The athelon is also great for the price unbeatable and lifetime warranty as well.

I suggested a 50mm objextive to allow more light in the scope in dawn and dusk times of the day. Usually over 12 or 16 power and beyond has a bad habit of allowing you to see mirage when shooting, made worse if you fire repeatedly from barrel heat. All things to consider.

My hunting bolt guns like my 7mm rem mag and 270 win have 3x9x50 nikon bdc's on them. Thats more than sufficient for the purpose out to 500 or 600 yards with practice.

·
Premium Member
13,944 Posts
Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50. It is on my LMT MWS.

·
Registered
16,992 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations guys! Sorry, I forgot to mention the use in the post, my bad.

I plan to use it for hunting (out to 100 - 300 yards), target shooting and plinking. Would a 4-12x40 be too much? I was reading this article https://scopesfield.com/best-scope-for-ar-10-rifles/ and the author recommended a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. Thoughts?
No, that's not too much. I use a Vortex 6.5-20x50 on my Armalite AR-10. It came with a 20" match barrel and trigger.
I put a 45° mount with iron sights, in case I got snuck up on, for close work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts