Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am to the point that I want to get an AR. Been thinking about it a while but have been discouraged by the prices. But with the dismal election results I figured I had better get one while I can. I would not be surprised if some oblamer appointed judge rules them illegal for some reason in the not too distant future.

I know there are a lot of companies making them. I would appreciate hearing from folks about which ones are decent and which to avoid. First hand experience is always the best, but any knowledgeable input would be good.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,322 Posts
My personal preference is Colt ARs. They may not always be the best, but their resale value is much better than most. I prefer to leave them stock and only add optics if desired. I do not play dress-up Barbie with my ARs for self-defense. I have seen too many ARs with the latest tacticool parts and add-ons until they are unreliable or too heavy to carry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a DPMS AR-15 (AP-4 Carbine) It is a great weapon and have had zero issues with it. I bought it used (like new condition) for about $675.00 last year, well worth the money. A couple of my friends also have DPMS ARs and like them as well. They seem to be a good platform at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I myself just purchased a Bushmaster ORC for $850. It has no optics and the handguard is carbine length. Not a bad rifle if you are gonna go barebones and add only a couple items like optics, picatinny handguard, bipod, and maybe a foregrip. If you want a nicely equipped one I would look into a Colt AR for about $1300. Another thing to consider is the feed setup do you want Direct Impingement or Gas Piston? There are drawbacks to both one being gas piston is heavier and from what I hear DI is a little harder to clean. Well good luck in your choosing. You will have fun either way. Going to pick up my rifle today been a few days after my waiting period in CA. YAY!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a couple of the S&W M&P 15's, I compared them side by side with a Colt and a Bushmaster, they all functioned very well, no problems. S&W has a new barrel it is a 1:8 5R Melonite barrel, engineering specs and studies show it will outlast any chrome lined barrel, plus due to the manufacturing process it is inherently more accurate. My side by side testing proved that to me, thats when I purchased the S&W's, plus their lifetime warranty. My groups with the Smith were half of that with the Colt or the Bushy. Remington top line rifles are now coming with the 5R rifling.
People say that Colt will hold their resale value but I can go to a LGS about 30 miles from my house (the closest LGS) and buy all the used Colts I want for $600, he sells the used Bushy's for $675. With the market glutted with used Colts their resale value cannot stay a high as projected. I would recommend the M&P Series, but get what you want, I just believe that a person should buy one from a Manufacturer that has been around for a long time, the AR assemblers seem to come and go. They may claim their warranty is lifetime, but that is the lifetime of the company.
Enjoy your AR, I use mine for Prairie Dog and varmint hunting plus destroying paper targets.

Oh this one is a modified Sport, and I still have less in it than most AR's list price!! :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I own a Rock River Arms tactic entry. It's a very nice, very solid, AR that I've had zero issues with in 3 years. It was just over $1000 new but you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm considering a DPMS Upper, and a New Frontier Armory LW-15 GENII Complete AR15 Polymer Lower Receiver-Black (Ships Free). It would only come out to $660 or so. FFL Fee would only be $25 for me. I just need to get the hell out of Cook County, IL First.

AWB For the lose..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I take it you want to buy one outright rather than build one? Go check out your local gun shops and get some prices. I know around here in Indiana you can get a good entry level AR for around 800 for a bushmaster or S&W MP15. Also it does get expensive to shoot if you dont reload so check on prices on ammo if you plan to shoot regularly.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
It took some time but I finally found a S&W M&P 15 Sport for $650. Basic AR15. Damn glad I bought it when I did.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am to the point that I want to get an AR. Been thinking about it a while but have been discouraged by the prices. But with the dismal election results I figured I had better get one while I can. I would not be surprised if some oblamer appointed judge rules them illegal for some reason in the not too distant future.

I know there are a lot of companies making them. I would appreciate hearing from folks about which ones are decent and which to avoid. First hand experience is always the best, but any knowledgeable input would be good.
you can't go wrong with colt. there's a sig m400 enhanced that's in the walmart black friday circular--$867, and it's a nice gun

·
Registered
435 Posts
I in kinda the same place, but definatly cannot afford an AR right now.... So I bought a lower reciver and a bunch of mags, the only things they can really regulate without an outright ban on the gun....

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I have a Stag 8 (piston) and an SR556 in 6.8SPC.

The Stag is great. Check around, I don't think you'll find a bad Stag story. DI Stags are very reasonably priced.

The Ruger is more expensive but you get a lot of feature or 'upgrades' that don't come on Joe Blow's base model.

Another brand I would consider is the M&P by S&W.

Where they're all basically built to the same spec, there are very few really BAD guns out there. Used ones are real easy to fix up because the parts are so interchangeable. In fact, if you're planning on upgrading whatever you get (new barrel, trigger, etc) a used gun is the way to go. Why replace new parts that you paid full price for?

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Most of the ARs sold today are pretty solid. The marketplace is pretty tight and when you start looking check them all out. I've got 8 in the safe right now including names like Colt (my first AR, 20 years ago), Rock River, LMT, Stag and a few more I built myself. The AR platform really is an erector set for shooters.

If you are into DIY projects AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc. carries everything you need in stock and their stuff is all US made, mostly by LMT, which is one of the biggies. You will have to buy a lower receiver from your LGS, but most of them have some in stock. It takes about 3 hours to build your first one. The one I built today took about a hour including tuning the trigger.

After you look at 30-40 of them you'll start to see what you like and what you don't. Then on your first range trip with your new joy, some things will begin to make sense that you might be confused over. Like butt-stocks - there must be a hundred on the market today. Some people who are into combat style "shoot and move" stuff, love the carbine w/CAR sliding stock, whereas varmint shooters like me dig the old style A2 type butt on a 24" bull barrel. The full length butt gives you a longer recoil spring, and buffer for smoother recoil.

Then you need to think about the top of the upper receiver - flat top or carry handle. If you want a big scope on it, go with the flat top and no front sight. Or if the combat shooting thing is in your plans, flip up sights might be the best option. Or if its a pinker you want, the carry handle and GI style front sight is a mighty proven design that decades of GIs have used.

Then you get into the various calibers that are available today - save you self a headache since this is your first AR - go with the good old 5.56x45 NATO unless you have a real good reason for a different one.

There is one axiom that holds true for tools of any kind - "Your best tool will be the one that fits your hand". Try them all, but buy the one YOU like. It will be the one you want to go shoot.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Most of the ARs sold today are pretty solid. The marketplace is pretty tight and when you start looking check them all out. I've got 8 in the safe right now including names like Colt (my first AR, 20 years ago), Rock River, LMT, Stag and a few more I built myself. The AR platform really is an erector set for shooters.

If you are into DIY projects AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc. carries everything you need in stock and their stuff is all US made, mostly by LMT, which is one of the biggies. You will have to buy a lower receiver from your LGS, but most of them have some in stock. It takes about 3 hours to build your first one. The one I built today took about a hour including tuning the trigger.

After you look at 30-40 of them you'll start to see what you like and what you don't. Then on your first range trip with your new joy, some things will begin to make sense that you might be confused over. Like butt-stocks - there must be a hundred on the market today. Some people who are into combat style "shoot and move" stuff, love the carbine w/CAR sliding stock, whereas varmint shooters like me dig the old style A2 type butt on a 24" bull barrel. The full length butt gives you a longer recoil spring, and buffer for smoother recoil.

Then you need to think about the top of the upper receiver - flat top or carry handle. If you want a big scope on it, go with the flat top and no front sight. Or if the combat shooting thing is in your plans, flip up sights might be the best option. Or if its a pinker you want, the carry handle and GI style front sight is a mighty proven design that decades of GIs have used.

Then you get into the various calibers that are available today - save you self a headache since this is your first AR - go with the good old 5.56x45 NATO unless you have a real good reason for a different one.

There is one axiom that holds true for tools of any kind - "Your best tool will be the one that fits your hand". Try them all, but buy the one YOU like. It will be the one you want to go shoot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
a week before last Christmas I bought a DPMS Oracle from Centerfire Systems in Versaille,Ky.and they shipped it to my LGS for $15.I had it in a week.I have been very happy with it and have had no problems at all.read all you can,there is a lot of info out there along with a lot of opinions.just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts