Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colt 6920 M4 rifle and was practicing magazine insertion, racking, safety on off, manually removing cartridge from chamber by racking, etc.

Over time I noticed about half the time I expected there to be a cartridge in the chamber there was not one. After some investigation, I think that if the trigger is 'cocked' (for lack of a better term), racking the slide with a full mag will not feed a cartridge. Meaning if I had already racked the slide once empty, but had not pulled the trigger, if I then put in a mag and rack the slide the chamber remains empty.

If I dry fire first, then racking the slide with a full magazine always appears to load a cartridge.

Is this behavior correct for the rifle, or am I screwing something up? Because I use the 6920 for home defense, I want to ensure that when I rack the slide with a full mag then a cartridge is loaded into the chamber 100% of the time (would hate to be surprised pulling the trigger at a BG and hearing 'click')

Thanks,
Steve

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Are you sure the mag is fully inserted and locked.

My ARs will load a round any time the bolt goes into battery, trigger cocked or not.

Make sure the mags are fully seated and try again.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,041 Posts
I am with falcon, it seems to me that the magazine is not firmly seated, which would explain why its not chambering a round. First I would recommend getting some magpul polymer 5.56 bullets, as opposed to using live rounds to practice with, that way you will not experience an accidental discharge. Second question are you using a fully loaded magazine, why I ask is sometimes a fully loaded magazine will not lock into the rifle with the bolt closed. Try inserting them with 28 rounds versus 30. Or a few less than what the mags capacity is. Another thought could be the magazine latches tension may not be tight enough. You can tighten the magazine catch by depressing the mag release button in and then on the opposite side of the rifle rotate the mag catch arm clockwise another turn, then back in to place in the lower. Their are you tube videos I am sure on this. I would also recommend good magazines like the magpul, troy, or even aluminum brownells. Hope that helps. Any questions feel free to ask.;)

http://www.amazon.com/Magpul-MagPul-Mag215-BLK-5-56-Dummy/dp/B006QP76CI

·
Registered
9 Posts
Before doing anything make sure the rifle is unloaded and the safety is on...

First thing to do is press in on the bottom half of the bolt catch while pulling back on the charging handle.This locks the bolt back.

Push the charging handle forward until it locks in place and then release your finger from the bolt catch.

When you are ready to shoot load a magazine and insert it into the rifle making sure it is locked in place.Push in the top half of the bolt catch and the bolt will snap forward extracting a cartridge from the magazine.

I have the LE6920 and stage it with the bolt locked back.All I have to do is insert a loaded magazine and push the top of the bolt catch.

If you don't have the manual and need a copy to reference what I told you then download a copy from the following link.

http://stevespages.com/pdf/colt_ar15.pdf

I hope this helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts