Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I first noticed extreme barrel heat when I emptied my first mag from my first Mini-14 back in the '70s, and that was the original model with the wood handguard (where much of the barrel was covered). Got really hot quickly and took forever to cool down.

Around that same time I bought an M77V in .220 Swift and read of how that cartridge burned barrels so I always gave it a couple of minutes (with bolt open) between shots.

Today I take my .204 Ruger and M77V/T .223 and .220 Swift varmint rifles (and even 10/22 Target for close shots) and switch between them often with no more than a couple of shots each before changing.
Gives me time to make every shot count, saves a lot in ammo costs and I'm sure I have just as much fun.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
The upper hand guard on the M14 rifle was changed from wood to slotted fiberglass because after full-auto fire the wooden hand guards had a tendency to catch on fire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does anyone have a link to any barrels i could buy just incase anything happens to mine? Ruger said they dont sell replacement barrels

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
The list is endless for replacment barrels really, you could buy a bear creek arsenal upper assembled and pin it right on your ruger for fairly cheap. Palmetto, primary arms, delton, ar stoner , dpms, and many others sell quality barrels for the ar, and many many others. That just names a few.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Any AR replacement barrel set up for a carbine-length gas system could potentially work. But if you wanted to use the front sight tower/gas block that came with the Ruger AR556 you would have to have some work done to the barrel.

The Ruger AR556 front sight tower is a proprietary design that secures to the barrel with pins that go over the bore rather than under so you would need to have some flats on the top of the barrel for the pins.

Might be easier to buy a replacement barrel that comes complete with a front sight tower already installed and there are plenty of those to choose from.

But I think you are overestimating the risk of burning out your barrel.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Does anyone have a link to any barrels i could buy just incase anything happens to mine? Ruger said they dont sell replacement barrels
If you are worried about your barrel I would suggest getting another complete upper. You can get one complete with the bolt carrier group and charging handle for around $200. That would get you another barrel and extra parts too. The upper would fit right on your lower.

If you haven't changed barrels or know someone who has to help you it is not an easy task. You need a couple special tools that make life a lot easier to change barrels. The cost of the tools would come close to offsetting the price difference between just a barrel or a complete upper.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
Any AR replacement barrel set up for a carbine-length gas system could potentially work. But if you wanted to use the front sight tower/gas block that came with the Ruger AR556 you would have to have some work done to the barrel.

The Ruger AR556 front sight tower is a proprietary design that secures to the barrel with pins that go over the bore rather than under so you would need to have some flats on the top of the barrel for the pins.

Might be easier to buy a replacement barrel that comes complete with a front sight tower already installed and there are plenty of those to choose from.

But I think you are overestimating the risk of burning out your barrel.
If you are worried about your barrel I would suggest getting another complete upper. You can get one complete with the bolt carrier group and charging handle for around $200. That would get you another barrel and extra parts too. The upper would fit right on your lower.

If you haven't changed barrels or know someone who has to help you it is not an easy task. You need a couple special tools that make life a lot easier to change barrels. The cost of the tools would come close to offsetting the price difference between just a barrel or a complete upper.

I agree with these guys, I think your over estimating burning out a barrel, I have been shooting ar's for many, many years mostly on a weekly or biweekly basis around 100 rounds a trip, and I have never seen a burned out barrel yet, and I have a few calibers known for being tough on barrels due to velocities. Unless you are planning to just empty the mags as fast as possible everytime you shoot, its not a problem I would worry about.

I also recommend just buying a second upper complete for added piece of mind instead of trying to rebarrel the ruger with the ruger front sight post.

Here is a basic example, all you have to do it pin it on your lower, complete ready to go for $209.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-complete-upper-assembly-16-parkerized-4150-steel-contour-barrel-5-56-nato-1-8-twist-w-standard-hand-guard-gas-block

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
My Colt SP1 is 46 years and still wears the original barrel. Someones putting way to much thought into this. If you manage to burn it out replace it. Until then take it out and have fun.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Figured you could benefit in seeing a grossly overheated barrel on the ar platform. This is the extreme and nobody shooting a semi should even get close to this. However it shows the punishment one can bare before failure.

Look up ultimate ar15 meltdown on Youtube.
I've seen a few of those over the years. Always wished someone would hand me one with a "boatload" of ammo and say "COOK IT !!!"

Not that I haven't pushed a few of mine, but I've never burned out a barrel or melted the handguard.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My Colt SP1 is 46 years and still wears the original barrel. Someones putting way to much thought into this. If you manage to burn it out replace it. Until then take it out and have fun.
Yep, unless the op plans on going out and just doing mag dumps all the time the barrel will probably out live him.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Yep, unless the op plans on going out and just doing mag dumps all the time the barrel will probably out live him.
I hear ya bubba, the AR is not classified as a “Precision Rifle”....it may not be MOA Accurate at 500yds, but it’s still “torso accurate.”. at that distance.

Like you said earlier, buy a complete upper and be done with it, problem solved.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
I've seen a few of those over the years. Always wished someone would hand me one with a "boatload" of ammo and say "COOK IT !!!"

Not that I haven't pushed a few of mine, but I've never burned out a barrel or melted the handguard.
I would need eod suit with heavy ballistic protection before I would do it with somebody else firearm. I have driven one or two of mine fast as well, but never burnt out a barrel either. My dissy equipped with a fostech echo II trigger comes to mind. It tends to get warm at times but not any where close to cooking off temps.
To be honest I have never worried about getting any of mine that hot, I prefer shooting small groups so blasting away is counter productive. Even shooting combat style shoot and move I don't run mine that hot. Now if the zombie apocalypse really happens than I may see how much one can take.:D

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
My old buddy Tacky loves these AR threads, it’s in his wheel house........Am I lying Tack???

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
My old buddy Tacky loves these AR threads, it’s in his wheel house........Am I lying Tack???

Nope, your not lying, I do tend to enjoy these threads, in particular since I have spent so much time building, wrenching, reloading for, and shooting them. I have an attraction to military type fireams, but then again I am drawn to tradtional firearms like bolt guns, pumps, levers, revolvers, and double barrel break actions ttoo. If its a good firearm, chances are I am a fan of them. My ar collection is very diverse, none are duplicates, or exactly the same. See what I mean? I cant remember if all of them are in the family portrait, seems I missed a few on photo day.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Nope, your not lying, I do tend to enjoy these threads, in particular since I have spent so much time building, wrenching, reloading for, and shooting them. I have an attraction to military type fireams, but then again I am drawn to tradtional firearms like bolt guns, pumps, levers, revolvers, and double barrel break actions ttoo. If its a good firearm, chances are I am a fan of them. My ar collection is very diverse, none are duplicates, or exactly the same. See what I mean? I cant remember if all of them are in the family portrait, seems I missed a few on photo day.
Would you come talk to my wife, she thinks 3 ARs is enough!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
Would you come talk to my wife, she thinks 3 ARs is enough!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!
I could try, but you may take an approach like I did. My wife is also a gun nut. I taught her how to shoot not long after we met, she had never fired a gun before. Fast foward several years. She has an ar in 5.56, 25-45 sharps, and 308win that I built. Thats not including the ak, 243win boltgun for hunting ,several pistols and shotguns she has. I got lucky.

Some ask me " Hey why did you teach your wife to shoot, doesn't that worry you?" I say nope sure doesn't.........atleast I will not suffer.:D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I could try, but you may take an approach like I did. My wife is also a gun nut. I taught her how to shoot not long after we met, she had never fired a gun before. Fast foward several years. She has an ar in 5.56, 25-45 sharps, and 308win that I built. Thats not including the ak, 243win boltgun for hunting ,several pistols and shotguns she has. I got lucky.

Some ask me " Hey why did you teach your wife to shoot, doesn't that worry you?" I say nope sure doesn't.........atleast I will not suffer.:D
My wife is a better shot than me with a handgun and she loves her AR as well. She is generous with getting reloading supplies etc as well. I'm sure I can sell her on some different "feature" for another AR. She is wanting an AR pistol...............

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
My wife is a better shot than me with a handgun and she loves her AR as well. She is generous with getting reloading supplies etc as well. I'm sure I can sell her on some different "feature" for another AR. She is wanting an AR pistol...............
I see, I have 1 pistol, and its LOUD. I recommend a blast diverter or flashcan if you decide to pull the trigger. That will keep the blast away from you, and make a more enjoyable experience. I would also recommend a carbine length gas to reduce your chances of having gas problems you will have to remedy. Mine is a 11.5.

My wife got Into the walking dead series for a couple seasons, then saw a spikes zombie hunter lower I was helping a friend with, decided she had to have one, so her 25-45 has a zombie hunter spikes on it. She doesn't even watch the show anymore.:confused:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Nope, your not lying, I do tend to enjoy these threads, in particular since I have spent so much time building, wrenching, reloading for, and shooting them. I have an attraction to military type fireams, but then again I am drawn to tradtional firearms like ttoo. If its a good firearm, chances are I am a fan of them. My ar collection is very diverse, none are duplicates, or exactly the same. See what I mean? I cant remember if all of them are in the family portrait, seems I missed a few on photo day.
Same here. My collection is very diverse too, none are duplicates, or exactly the same. If its a good firearm (regardless of semi auto, bolt guns, pumps, levers, revolvers, or double barrel, chances are I am a fan and been a life long collector. Everyone needs a hobby.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,528 Posts
Same here. My collection is very diverse too, none are duplicates, or exactly the same. If its a good firearm (regardless of semi auto, bolt guns, pumps, levers, revolvers, or double barrel, chances are I am a fan and been a life long collector. Everyone needs a hobby.

Yep, and its a hobby we deeply enjoy. I wouldn't change a thing except adding several more to my collection, oh yeah and getting a bigger toy box to secure them.:D

21 - 40 of 40 Posts