Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, just bought an AR 556 a couple of weeks ago. It is a cool little AR that I'll use for target practice and generally shooting. More than likely I will leave it "as is".

My disappointment is that I took it out the first time to sight in and I have to move the rear sight left a bit to get it zeroed. Turns out the rear sight was barely screwed on out of the box. No big deal, but I thought that was a bit strange for a new Ruger. The second day I took it out to adjust further. I adjusted the front sight a bit and it started shooting all over the place which really made me wonder.

Then the hand guard, gas tube, and gas port completely came apart and was not fastened at all as in it was completely hanging off the rifle. I wasn't in a place to examine it better so I took it home and called Ruger.

It turns out both gas block pins were completely gone. I don't know if they were never installed or worked their way out. I never had a reason to look.

Now Ruger sent me both pins, but after a little research it appears this is a common problem. I'm hoping the new pins hold in place, but as my thread title mentions, I'm pretty disappointed in a Ruger firearm that fell apart in my hands after <100 shots.

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts
When I started reading your post my initial thought was 'no big deal'. Stuff happens. By the time I got to the end I was a bit ticked off myself. A loose rear sight is one thing. Missing critical parts is another. I know they'll make it right for you, but still.......

Hey Ruger! Get your stuff together. This isn't weak QC. It's flat out poor manufacturing. Big difference.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Darn! Thats horrible, GCTWO Please sent this info to Ruger CEO!

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
It was probably assembled on a Monday or a Friday...........Regardless it shouldn’t happen.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
No excuse, but AR-15’s are “assembled.” Mine had a loose castle not when I got it. Still, it’s been the best value I’ve ever gotten in a gun purchase.

·
Emperor
881 Posts
I would send the rifle back to Ruger.

The gas block/front sight tower on the Ruger AR556 is a proprietary design. One of the major differences in comparison with a mil-spec A2 front sight tower is that the pins that secure it in place go over the barrel rather than under it.

For a time after it was introduced there were a fair number of reports of the gas block pins walking out. My understanding is that Ruger changed the pins. I had not heard of this happening recently.

In your case, I suspect that the pins did not both walk out unnoticed but were missing from the start with the gas block only loosely in place on the barrel. The front sight tower was probably slightly canted on the barrel accounting for your need to adjust windage on the rear sight to an extent greater than usual. With the gas pressure in the tube the tower loosened up further accounting for your extreme dispersion and then walked off the barrel completely.

I agree with you that there is no good excuse for this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I started reading your post my initial thought was 'no big deal'. Stuff happens. By the time I got to the end I was a bit ticked off myself. A loose rear sight is one thing. Missing critical parts is another. I know they'll make it right for you, but still.......

Hey Ruger! Get your stuff together. This isn't weak QC. It's flat out poor manufacturing. Big difference.
I agree with your answer and others too. I am a Ruger fan and own a Mini-14, EC9's, 22/45 & a 10/22. Although I am sure this will be right in a couple days time, this one raised my eyebrows a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update from OP:

I got the pins from Ruger and installed them with a little dab of blue loctite. Took it to the range & it was fine except I'm still a notch off-center left with the windage. No big deal though.

But it turns out I found a pin in the back of my SUV when cleaning it out. Apparently the pins were installed and fell out. My thought is that Ruger had a run of pins out of spec. The new ones went in and held pretty good and gave no indication of loosening up. So we are good now and Ruger did their thing with excellent customer service and I am back in business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts