Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my AR-556 MPR in 450 Bushmaster from my FFL yesterday. I took it apart to clean and lube it today. I got to removing the bolt carrier group and the firing pin retaining pin, no problems. I pushed in the bolt so that I could rotate and remove the cam pin, but the bolt felt like it dragged and then was stuck at the rear. The cam pin would not rotate. I soaked it in Rem-oil and then it took about 20 minutes of prying it in and out before I was able to rotate and remove it. I then cleaned and lubed all the parts back up and began to put it back together. When inserting the bolt, it is super tight, to the point where it almost won't move in and out. When I get it in the correct position, the cam pin will not fit. If I pull the bolt out, the cam pin fits properly.
Had to contact Ruger and ship the brand new rifle to be looked at.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
I always hate to about a brand new rifle being sent back. In a perfect world we wouldn’t need CS, but that’s not the way it works, unfortunately it happened to you. You’ll get a functioning rifle back, the downside is you won’t be shooting it this weekend. Post up the outcome.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The bolt cam pin on my Ruger AR556 bolt carrier group has always been hard to turn. Often, I need a needlenose pliers to turn it either way. This is the only cam pin out of four bolt carrier groups that I have, that has this issue.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Greetings from New Hampshire !!
When new them bolts can be a real pain to get back in. I over oiled it and grabbed it with a rag and rotated little by little. I did that 3 times before it freed up. Just make sure the gap on the little piston rings are not in line, I staggered them about 30° apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The RMA indicates that they normally have about a week turnaround, so hopefully will be hearing something today or tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts