Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Logistics and costs prevent me from shooting my AR-556 as often as I should. L
It’s my only AR and not really familiar with it like I am with my handguns.

I’m thinking of buying a S&W 15-22 so I could get more range time using an AR platform.
My main objective is training.

So, my question to the forum’s longtime AR owners who own/owned both rifles, do they pretty much share the same features that what I learn with the 15-22 is transferable to the AR-556?

Or, is there another option?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,569 Posts
If it was me, I would try to get a conversion kit and just shoot .22LR in your AR556.
Skills would be 100% transferable.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mantis Blackbeard.
So, it’s a training system. Interesting, I’m familiar with pistol systems but didn’t see this before.

Reactions: Zardos and Tacky

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
OP I got the S&W 15-22 that was slightly used and it came with goodies that made the buy look better than buying a new 15-22 by itself. It is the best 22 AR type rifle to get. The others are a far choice for me. It is reliable and accurate. The controls are in the same place. It is a fun gun to shoot and some have said they just go for the 15-22 instead of their 223/556. A true great buy. It is a blow back 22 LR but as close to the bigger boy as you can get. I looked at the many others and they just don't compete with price, function, and being the best copy of a AR-15. I love mine. Not familiar with the kits so I can't speak to them.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,569 Posts
Thanks.
I googled it because honestly, I don’t know where to look. Hope I don’t go down an expensive rabbit hole
it's cheaper than buying another rifle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another vote for the CMMG conversion. Works perfectly with my AR-556.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
The CMMG is about 1/2 the cost of a 15-22. My wife and I each have a 15-22. She took mine and I had to get another one. Controls are the same. They are good guns but the weight differential may throw you off. They are light. They are also more reliable with different ammo than my 10-22's. The only semi autos we have that will shoot Fed Auto Match. The one thing I wonder about is the sight differential. I say wonder because I have not used the CMMG and don't know what if any issues there are.

·
Registered
273 Posts
OP I got the S&W 15-22 that was slightly used and it came with goodies that made the buy look better than buying a new 15-22 by itself. It is the best 22 AR type rifle to get. The others are a far choice for me. It is reliable and accurate. The controls are in the same place. It is a fun gun to shoot and some have said they just go for the 15-22 instead of their 223/556. A true great buy. It is a blow back 22 LR but as close to the bigger boy as you can get. I looked at the many others and they just don't compete with price, function, and being the best copy of a AR-15. I love mine. Not familiar with the kits so I can't speak to them.
Same here. Get the 15-22. It will have PROPER barrel with 1 in 16 in. twist for .22LR. It's the same size and functions with the same controls as an AR. Some AR parts will even fit it. You can ever get a Black Dog 50 rd drum magazine for it. In my 15-22 it functions flawlessly. I've taken squirrels with mine with the iron sights. S&W 15-22 magazines are some of the best large capacity .22 magazines ever made.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great suggestions. Thanks!

Good point on the twist rate.
As for capacity, can only have state compliant 10 rd mags.

Looking at the CMMG website, I stumbled upon a .22LR upper that costs the same as what I paid for the AR-556 😳
I just watched a video of a guy with a brand new kit, the ease with which he did the swap on his PSA AR, then shooting flawlessly afterwards, is very appealing.

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
95 Posts
CMMG is the best bang for your buck.

Or if you live behind enemy lines in a Communist state

1 - 20 of 47 Posts