Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,561 Posts
@Nomadic Paladin
I kinda disagree.
I have 3 AR platforms, my .22 conversion basically gives me 6 rifles but only takes up 3 spaces in my gun safe. 😂

the conversion kit allows me to shoot any of them with the exact trigger pull, iron sights, optics, varmint light or laser as the 5.56 version.

Reactions: alayonruger

·
Registered
737 Posts
another vote for a CMMG conversion bolt. I run one in my AR556 M4. she likes higher velocity ammo so stick with round nose CCI mini-mags. picked up the bolt and single 25rd mag on sale for $150 few years back from Midway i believe. got a pack of 3 extra mags for $50 somewhere else. it's a real treat to shoot and everyone that's tried it loves it. I've never been overly concerned about accuracy being it's a 22lr bolt in a 223/5.56 rifle but it's more than accurate at 25 yards for plinking.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I wonder how running lots of dirtiy 22 through might affect the gas tube.

Normally with high pressure 223 all that hot gas blows out and keeps the gas tube general clear as I've never cleaned one.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts

Normally with high pressure 223 all that hot gas blows out and keeps the gas tube general clear as I've never cleaned one.
With the 1000's of rounds I've fired through AR's, never cleaned a gas tube yet. Dont know bout the 22 though.

Reactions: alayonruger

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great, guys. More options.

The Nordic is a pricey alternative to the CMMG. 🤔

The Tippman looks to be offered by my favorite LGS but never heard of it before. Also, MSRP is higher than S&W 15-22.
Anyone familiar with this brand?

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Did you check out the BCA uppers for $300. Also PSA had CMMG kits on sale for $170. I already have the 15-22 so not in the market.
Yes, I’m seriously considering BCA, in the middle in terms of price, among the choices available.
Complete upper takes care of twist rate, dirty barrel, etc.
Not sure a used 15-22 comes close in price.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
There is a lot of polymer on the 15-22. My wife likes it because it is so light and the stock fits her. I have them set up with red dots. They have been good guns and not as finicky as the 10-22,s. Still does not like Fed 36 grain bulk but will shoot Auto Match. If you find a used one make sure it was not affected by the recall and not repaired. Ours are the early models. I put a 6"x5/8" riser spanning the receiver and the fore end rail to stabilize the fore end. I was getting some flex especially using a bipod. That fixed it and only need standard rings or low mounts on the red dots now.
I have been looking at the BCA. They use the CMMG mags which BCA sells for $19. About the same as 15-22 mags or a little cheaper. The weight will be same as an AR.. The upper weighs 5.2 lbs.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
@JTJ

Thanks for the additional info. I just watched two BCA videos, one sponsored and the other, independent.
For an extra $100, I can get the BCA complete upper instead of CMMG kit. 🤔

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
10,232 Posts
Although I do not have a 22 by bca, I did buy a 450bm from them, and have used their parts. No problems what so ever, accurate, and reliable. Plus supports my home state. I vote BCA. I do want one of their 22 mag uppers, just have not done it yet.

here is my bca 450bm upper I built into a complete pkg. Only thing I did was swap the muzzle hider for a tromix brake.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Font Wood Flooring Rectangle

·
Registered
.22 Single Six and Ten, three Wranglers, 2 44 Vaqueros, MkII, 10-22, 22 Charger, 77-357, GP100s.
768 Posts
I have the CMMG conversion bolt, and three mags (online deal that Brownell's had about two years ago) It works well. Not as accurate as my 10-22's, or several of my .22 revolvers and pistols, but fun to shoot in my M&P15.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great, guys. More options.

The Nordic is a pricey alternative to the CMMG. 🤔

The Tippman looks to be offered by my favorite LGS but never heard of it before. Also, MSRP is higher than S&W 15-22.
Anyone familiar with this brand?
Check out 22 plinkster and the Tippmann

·
Registered
36 Posts

Been running the CMMG in three different ARs for over ten years with nary a problem. None. Keep my ARs clean, but probably not military inspection clean. Also got a left handed conversion kit for my one left handed AR, both from Stag Arms. My ex-daughter-in-law was left eye dominant and did better shooting left handed.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts