Ruger Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anything other than the CMMG is only an approximation of your actual AR. The CMMG lets you use your own AR. Same everything, literally everything except less recoil and shorter distance accuracy. I used the CMMG in my AR for Steel Challenge for a year before buying a proper .22lr weapon. It was more than adequate in accuracy whether it was my AR with ACOG sight or the one with a Leopold 1-6 variable, dialed down to no magnification. For those who don’t know Steel Challenge the stages include 10” round plates out to 18 yards and 12” round plates out to 20 yards with larger probably 18x24 plates at distances up to 35 yards. Never had an accuracy problem whether shooting CCI Minimags 40g high velocity, Remington Golden Bullet or Aquila high velocity rounds.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
PSA has the 15-22 with a bag and 3mags for $400.
Thanks! Can’t beat that price. Let me see if they still ship to Kalifornia, with 10-round mags.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Just my two cents worth, I have both the S&W AR15-22 and the standard AR-15, as far as the actions are concerned, they are identical, except the S&W doesn't have the bump knob to make sure the action is in battery, other that the accuracy for the S&W AR15-22 are fairly close as considering a .22LR VS a .556/.223 in other words 50 yards VS 150 yards.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I have both, I definitely recommend the S&W 15/22. They are great rifles and have all the same buttons, switches and handles. There are two big advantages over conversion kits 1. The dedicated rifle with have the proper barrel twist for .22lr while the conversion is designed for .223/5.56. 2. Having another gun is always better than not having another gun. 😁

·
Registered
308 Posts
Logistics and costs prevent me from shooting my AR-556 as often as I should. L
It’s my only AR and not really familiar with it like I am with my handguns.

I’m thinking of buying a S&W 15-22 so I could get more range time using an AR platform.
My main objective is training.

So, my question to the forum’s longtime AR owners who own/owned both rifles, do they pretty much share the same features that what I learn with the 15-22 is transferable to the AR-556?

Or, is there another option?

Thanks in advance.
I have a Bear Creek Arsenal BC-22 .22lr complete upper. There are of course pros and cons to this approach as opposed to a conversion kit. I like the complete upper because it has the correct twist rate for .22lr and it saves wear and tear on my 5.56 upper. The conversion kits are a bit cheaper.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts