Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

Finally had the opportunity to shoot my new AR 556 a couple days ago. 1st several rounds ok then jammed. cleared and several shots fine, jammed. Last round in mag the bolt failed to remain open. Loaded a single round in mag 3 times and bolt failed to remain open each time. I had cleaned the rifle when I received it, but gave it a second very detail cleaning and inspection, light oil and took it out again yesterday. Twice fired with just 3 rounds in mag. shot well and bolt remained open. loaded full mag, no round feed on 7th though the bolt did close. Chambered a round and after another few rounds it jammed. Around 70 rounds fired hoping to loosen things up a bit to no avail. Using 2 separate pmags and PMC Bronze 55 Gr. FMJ-BT. Spent casing scratched/dented at neck apparently from feed ramp.
I've read here and elsewhere that gas issues, cheap ammo many other variables may be the cause, I suppose I'll try one last time with another ammo manufacturer with heavier round, but my understanding is that PMC is a relatively good round. and I have a lot on hand I'd like to be able to use. I'll be calling Ruger today to get there recommendation.

Thought I'd ask here if anyone had sim. problem and how it was resolved.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
No problem with pmc 55 grain here. Call Ruger. Something isn't right with your rifle. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have taken my AR556 out to the range twice. Used reloads and factory junk stuff with steel cases. Seems ok. Shooting 100 yards I have 2 out of 3 holes touching. One 1/2 up from those two. Using Eotech. I think with the steel case stuff there was a couple of stubborn cases that had to be ejected and reloaded but they fired ok after that. We expected that with the cheap import stuff. Even most of them fired ok.

Sounds like something needs adjusting in your rifle? I was not using Pmags thats about the only difference I can see from your description.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Welcome to the Ruger Forum. I think I'd try a couple of different brands of ammo, and I'd also try using a different magazine.

If it still doesn't work, call Ruger. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well, you've certainly done a good job of checking the obvious. Your choice of ammo should not be the problem either.

This is one of the few times I'd go directly to calling Ruger.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like your mag is the problem. If it is not stock Ruger, throw it away and only use Ruger mags. Dissemble and clean any mag before you use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,

I doubt mags are the problem, same thing with 2 brand new mags, one of which came with the rifle. Have an email into customer service.
Coworker who is much more knowledgeable than I am suggested after I started the thread that it could be something as simple as not holding the butt tight to my shoulder, providing adequate resistance for the the rifle to cycle properly. I never would have considered that, but seeing as I have had recent right shoulder surgery and am still a little tentative with it. I think he may be on to something.
Gonna take it out and make sure I'm leaning into it and will update when done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like the bolt catch is not functioning properly. Since it's a new rifle it could be the bolt catch is tight on the roll pin. Check the operation of the bolt catch. Does it move freely? With an empty magazine inserted, charge the bolt and the bolt catch should hold the BCG to the rear.

;

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a very similar problem, sent it back to ruger, they replaced the firing pin, gas rings and had to tighten and restake the gas key

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had the exact same problem out of the box, was using flangeable (sp) rounds, indoor range.... tried everything, Ex-Mil working range..oil, mags cleaning BCG found nothing.

I actually bought the JP silent Captured spring, (because it would cycle normal 5.56 at home in the back, figured ammo issue) But the JP solved every ammo and can use the range with out cycle problem.... JP said to buy the Heavy spring system...

JP spring is worth the cost and will always have on in my AR !

Just my 2 cents lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
C-products produces Rugers stainless steel 5.56 mags for the SR/AR platforms. You could also purchase a new P-mag and see if that helps. Everyone should own multiple magazines for any gun they own. It's especially useful in an instance where you're having an issue so you are able to eliminate a variable.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Try giving the bore a good scrubbing with a new bore brush. Clean the bolt and make sure the gas rings aren't lined up. Give the feed ramps a cleaning too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts