Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own many AR platform rifles and have used a specific few as an operator and in my capacity as an LEO. Ruger is not one of those. My brother in law wanted an affordable AR platform rifle so I recommended a Ruger AR 556 to match his price point. He bought one on sale for $489. Our first day on the range, the rifle fired and cycles fine for the first 60 rounds or so, then something interesting started happening. The rifle started shooting two shot burst as if it was in select fire auto mode. I thought he was double tapping the trigger but he wa not. I shot the rifle and it was shooting two and three shot bursts. The cause; I discovered one of the trigger group retaining pins had walked out and the trigger mechanism was slightly canted sideways in the lower receiver. Somehow this caused consistent burst fires.

So this particular brand new Ruger 556 rifle standard trigger group has inadequet detents to hold the trigger group retaining pins in place. So now you know how to turn your ruger into a burst fire rifle. Just let the front trigger pin walk out (NOT RECOMMENDED and UNSAFE). So I replaced his standard factory trigger with a CMC drop in self contained single stage 3.5 lb pull trigger.

Anyone else have this problem with a new 556 Ruger?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts