Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member and I just bought an AR-556. I just ordered a Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x 24mm Riflescope and I need to buy a QD scope mount. I'm been looking at an American Defense or a Burris PEPR QD mount. I'm not sure how high a mount I need to see past the front sight. I'm open to other recommendations for a mount. Thanks.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
821 Posts
I'm a new member and I just bought an AR-556. I just ordered a Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x 24mm Riflescope and I need to buy a QD scope mount. I'm been looking at an American Defense or a Burris PEPR QD mount. I'm not sure how high a mount I need to see past the front sight. I'm open to other recommendations for a mount. Thanks.
The rifle looks different now, but I used a UTG mount with QD mounts. I kept the flip up rear sight and got a set of cheap QD blocks to raise it up. I don't suggest the cheap blocks I got off eBay. They suck.

The UTG mount is solid, though.

I know it looks a bit jacked up, mounted that far back, but that's how it was comfortable for me.

The added blocks bring it up to where the front sight is still visible, but "ghosted" at lower powers. It fades out as power is increased.

I've changed how this rifle is set up, but have saved the mount and scope for another use down the road...

How it looks now:

Aqualung

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aqualung, Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether the American Defense QD mount at $170 is significantly better that the Burris PEPR at $90 or the UTG QD mount at $43. My use would be range use and self defense in an emergency. I don't plan to remove the scope from the mount and only occasionally move the scope and mount to another rifle.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide me.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,546 Posts
Aqualung, Thanks for your reply and suggestion.

Does anyone have an opinion about whether the American Defense QD mount at $170 is significantly better that the Burris PEPR at $90 or the UTG QD mount at $43. My use would be range use and self defense in an emergency. I don't plan to remove the scope from the mount and only occasionally move the scope and mount to another rifle.

Thanks for any thoughts you can provide me.
Well, I have experience with both the american defense mounts, and the burris pepr. Since you were stating that you were gonna be using the rifle partially for personal defense in an emergency ,I recommend not going the cheap route with utg, think about it, your depending your life on it. I would want something that is robust, and up to the task. With that said the pepr is a great mount, I use one on the below rifle with a 3x9x50 bdc scope. Never a loss of zero, shift or any other issues. Just make sure the adjusters are screwed down tight so it takes a little force to lock the cams, when securing the scope mount to the rifle. The american defense is a great mount also I run one on my contingency rifle, which is a personal defense setup gun. I included a picture of it as well for reference, its used with a primary arms rbg II micro dot. Very effective, no zero loss. I put alot more faith in those than the utg. Most utg stuff I have come across in my travels, I would not bet my safety on. By cheap, buy twice, ttheir is truth in that statement.

Both of these I custom built, both 5.56 rifles for different purposes.

Pepr Quick release mount...

American defense quick release....

If you have any questions please feel free to ask...;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts