Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new hear so please don't butcher me to bad for asking this. I just purchased the AR 556 and I want to change the front hand grip. I want to put a 12" quad rail on it. I know that I will have to remove the front site and gas block. Will I have to get a low profile gas block? And can anyone give me any suggestions for a good 12" quad rail for around 150.00 to 200.00 dollars? The advice is greatly appreciated. And like I said please go easy on me..lol :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think you're going to need the low profile gas block if you're going 12".

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes, it can be done, and yes, you will have to put a low profile gas block on the rifle, or use a dremel to shave yours down (have seen this done with many A2 FSB, but haven't seen it with the Ruger one yet).

As far as an inexpensive quad rail, the UTG Pro line is getting good reviews... These are made in America and are of higher quality than the Leapers / UTG rails and are at the lower end of your budget.

Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

Now, if I may ask you a question without seeming rude, but why did you purchase this particular rifle if you wanted a different configuration out of the box? I've noticed that many folks buy this rifle, or the Sport, etc., and their first question is "how do I get rid of the front sight base"? Why not buy a rifle that already comes with a quad rail and is set up the way you want out of the box? Maybe I should just start my own thread asking this... I'm just curious about the trend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have read a lot on forums and write ups about this rifle. And from the pricing that I have done, it is hard to find an AR-15 with the quad rail under 1k, at least around Camden and Columbia SC. I am not fond of the front site on the AR 556 but for less that 600.00, I could purchase this and get a quad rail for under 1k. Everything I have read gives this rifle a good thumbs up so I figured that it was worth the effort. If that answers your question. And thanks for the advice above.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, it can be done, and yes, you will have to put a low profile gas block on the rifle, or use a dremel to shave yours down (have seen this done with many A2 FSB, but haven't seen it with the Ruger one yet).

As far as an inexpensive quad rail, the UTG Pro line is getting good reviews... These are made in America and are of higher quality than the Leapers / UTG rails and are at the lower end of your budget.

Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

Now, if I may ask you a question without seeming rude, but why did you purchase this particular rifle if you wanted a different configuration out of the box? I've noticed that many folks buy this rifle, or the Sport, etc., and their first question is "how do I get rid of the front sight base"? Why not buy a rifle that already comes with a quad rail and is set up the way you want out of the box? Maybe I should just start my own thread asking this... I'm just curious about the trend.
Price is the #1 factor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm no sharpshooter, expert or anything of that kind but the AR-556 is a great rifle for the money, I've considered Spikes, DD, BCM and many others, but for punching paper, pumpkins and other various targets at the local range the gun is perfect for me, and so was the price. I think a lot of us want to make the rifle our own and add a personal touch, I know the first piece of furniture (for me) will be a hand guard, the stock one is horrible.
Now I have friend with an M&P15 MOE Magpul Spec Edition, another guy with a CMMG Lower/BCM Upper, and to be quite honest I don't think any of us can tell the difference in shooting them, my groups are just as tight as theres are. For the money I saved, I won't mind a spending a lil extra to make her mine. Just my .02s

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
ALG and Midwest Industries make some nice rails. I am a huge fan of the BCM KMR rail. Super slim and awesome! Seekins makes nice ones as well.

I would just buy a low profile block and replace the original block/sight.

You'll need a few tools... Punches, a AR armorers tool/wrench, and a vice. Vice blocks wouldn't hurt, though wood blocks can work.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,065 Posts
I am new hear so please don't butcher me to bad for asking this. I just purchased the AR 556 and I want to change the front hand grip. I want to put a 12" quad rail on it. I know that I will have to remove the front site and gas block. Will I have to get a low profile gas block? And can anyone give me any suggestions for a good 12" quad rail for around 150.00 to 200.00 dollars? The advice is greatly appreciated. And like I said please go easy on me..lol :D
Take a look at the ar15 picture thread, alot of us build and post our pictures there, find something you like shoot a message, and ask, the guys will point you in the right direction.

http://rugerforum.net/rifles/63070-ar-15-platform-picture-thread.html

·
Registered
37 Posts
First, I know nothing about AR's. But, I asked may Class 3 gun dealer/gunsmith a lot of questions about them. One thing he told me was to make sure the gas block is made of steel and not aluminum.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,065 Posts
First, I know nothing about AR's. But, I asked may Class 3 gun dealer/gunsmith a lot of questions about them. One thing he told me was to make sure the gas block is made of steel and not aluminum.
Thats not entirely true, many, many, ar's come from the factory with aluminum or steel gas blocks. I have used both, never an issue with either. I would say that most aluminums are like the ones seen on this factory dpms, railed, most normal front sight blocks with posts (a2 style) are steel made.

24 SPECIAL

·
Registered
37 Posts
As I said, I have no personal experience one way or the other. My gunsmith friend who has build and repaired AR's for the local military said that if guns are shot a lot, the difference in coefficient of expansion of the aluminum compared to steel will eventually cause aluminum blocks to leak. Based on his comments, if I buy an AR I will make sure the block is steel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay, I looked at the UTG rails, and like I said, I have the low profile gas block. So will this rail "UTG PRO AR15 13" SuperSlim Free Float Keymod Compatible Rail" fit without much difficulty on the AR 556?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts