Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I bought my rifle on Friday, and I have not shot it yet. However today when looking at the rifle I noticed the front takedown pin was not all the way in. When I went to push it in it would not budge. I tried to remove it and it would not budge. I eventually got a punch and got it in but not completely flush like the rear takedown pin.

I used the same punch to get it out so I could remove the upper and inspect the receiver to see if I could see anything. I am very new to the AR platform, I have been reading a lot but I am still very green. Do you guys think this is an issue or is this nothing to be worried about. Again I can get the pin in, it does not flush up like the rear when its in as far as I can get it I can still get a fingernail under it unlike the rear.

The picture is with the upper removed, this is as far as the pin was in when the rifle came out of the box, and this is as far as I can use my thumb to push it in until it starts to get really tough.....what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The forward pin has a portion of the head cut back to clear the mag well. If yours does not, then you were give an incorrect pin.

Turn the pin until the cut off portion of the head clears the bulge in the lower around the mag well and it should then go fully into the lower body.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
It should seat flush. The lower or pin may be out of spec. I'd out my money on the pin (easiest and cheapest). You can pick up a new takedown pin and see if swapping it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, i was hoping to find out that this is common, lol i really don't like the idea of spending money replacing things on a brand new rifle. I very much appreciate all the help though. Ill see what i can do.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Check to see if there is any grit or gunk in the TD pin channel that the detent pin rides on.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Yea, i was hoping to find out that this is common, lol i really don't like the idea of spending money replacing things on a brand new rifle. I very much appreciate all the help though. Ill see what i can do.
I'd call Ruger. It wouldn't surprise me if they sent you a new pin for free.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
It is cut, but it still is extremely tight.
Well, since you 1) almost never take it out, 2) wouldn't want it extremely LOOSE, I'd say; tap it in place and go shooting.

It will loosen over time and focus on a Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, since you 1) almost never take it out, 2) wouldn't want it extremely LOOSE, I'd say; tap it in place and go shooting.

Pretty much exactly what many uncle said, he is an avid shooter with over 50 firearms, and is very familiar with the AR platform. I took it over had him look at it.....he tapped it in place and said take it shooting lol. Thank you all for the input.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Can you see where it's making contact? No sense in not having it fit properly so it will close all the way without resistance. If you can identify where it's making contact, or if it's just tight in the lower pin mortise, all you need to do is dress the appropriate interfering surfaces. It'll take you 20min.

I do tend to take my uppers off, quite often. The rifle was designed to have a detent hold it in place when open and when inserted, and was designed to be taken down and reassembled quickly and without tools - your firearm is out of spec in one part or the other.

This isn't a proper function - either return the weapon, or fix the issue.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Sounds like they may have put the wrong detent pin in or the take down pin channel was not cut correctly or has a burr in it. It should be tight but not so tight as to have to use a punch to get it in or out.

Call Ruger and see what the will do about it. This is not normal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gotta Agree

Have to agree with that.
Mine was very tight when new but loosened up over time.
Better a little tight than a little loose.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts