Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After breaking in the barrel I shot several groups to get the iron sights zeroed in. The front site took several downward turns and the rear sight ended up a whole mark to the left. Does this look normal or is something off with the gun? The rear sight having to be that far over seem like it could cause issues with a red dot set up for co-witness. This is my first AR so I am just not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
"The Real Deal"
7,984 Posts
Nope, its not a problem. Various sights on ar's can be off a center alignment, left or right. I have seen and used several, no issues. Seeings how you said you were gonna add a red dot, it wont matter either the dot should end up just above the front sight pin. Just fold the rear sight down. If the sights are used as intended as back up, the red dot wont be on anyways.

Many things can cause the sights being adjusted left or right of center like..

Receiver front not square where the barrel extension contacts it.
Canted front sight
Ammunition.

Non of these are a problem as long as you can sight the firearm.

So dont worry, its very typical.

Reactions: ngashooter

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, its not a problem. Various sights on ar's can be off a center alignment, left or right. I have seen and used several, no issues. Seeings how you said you were gonna add a red dot, it wont matter either the dot should end up just above the front sight pin. Just fold the rear sight down. If the sights are used as intended as back up, the red dot wont be on anyways.

Mamy things can cause the sights being adjusted left or right of center like..

Canted front sight
Ammunition.

Thanks for the feedback! I will press on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW, mine is almost exactly the same and is sighted in perfectly. I put a red dot with a 1/3 co-witness and it confirms the sight placement.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
I’m on the same page as Tacky...........

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Many things can cause the sights being adjusted left or right of center like..

Canted front sight
Ammunition.

I added a quad rail front grip and while working on placing a flashlight I was able to see that the front sight is canted to the right. I plan on contacted Ruger customer support to see if this is something I can fix or if it has to be sent in. Since it was a brand new rifle I am disappointed to have this issue.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,984 Posts
I added a quad rail front grip and while working on placing a flashlight I was able to see that the front sight is canted to the right. I plan on contacted Ruger customer support to see if this is something I can fix or if it has to be sent in. Since it was a brand new rifle I am disappointed to have this issue.
Glad you figured it out.

You will have to send it in because the mounting pins holes were drilled incorrectly. Thier is no way to repair that barrel, so they will have to swap it for one thats drilled correctly. I see thats what they will do. Their probably is a way to repair the canted sight post, but im not aware of it.

Other option is to get rid of the front sight post, go to a low profile gas block and add a free floated quad rail. Then add a set of same plane folding sights. This one is the wifes for reference. You can go many different lengths or styles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you figured it out.

You will have to send it in because the mounting pins holes were drilled incorrectly. Thier is no way to repair that barrel, so they will have to swap it for one thats drilled correctly. I see thats what they will do. Their probably is a way to repair the canted sight post, but im not aware of it.

Other option is to get rid of the front sight post, go to a low profile gas block and add a free floated quad rail. Then add a set of same plane folding sights. This one is the wifes for reference. You can go many different lengths or styles.

View attachment 148834
That looks great! I had honestly thought of doing that when I first got it and had a different gas block picked out but it was out of stock at the time. I created a ticket with customer support and hope to hear from them soon. I hate to have spent good money on a brand new gun and have this sort of issue but I know if happens. Thanks for the feedback.

CH

·
"The Real Deal"
7,984 Posts
That looks great! I had honestly thought of doing that when I first got it and had a different gas block picked out but it was out of stock at the time. I created a ticket with customer support and hope to hear from them soon. I hate to have spent good money on a brand new gun and have this sort of issue but I know if happens. Thanks for the feedback.

CH
No problem, glad i could help. I understand when you buy sonething you expect it to be right. If you decide to quad rail it or need further opinions let me know. Glad to lend some advice if i can.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I know it's "within spec" if it can be zeroed....but still bugs the hell out of my OCD, lol.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,984 Posts
I know it's "within spec" if it can be zeroed....but still bugs the hell out of my OCD, lol.
Yeah im particular about my stuff too. But you probably would not find the mistake until you tried to sight it, in particular to it being mass produced. Custom built would have a very minimal chance if at all of having alignment issues.

In addition some of the early AK platform rifles century put out had the same problem. It had far less adjustment on the front sight, so it was a real pain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I got the rifle back from Ruger this week. They said they replaced the barrel element and the front post does look straight now. The only odd thing is that the quad rail I had put on it before, is now off center by a space. Can I tighten the barrel nut a bit or is there another way to fix this? Is there more than one type of barrel nut used on the AR 556? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I solved my own problem. Turns out when I dropped the quad rail straight down to seat it, it shifted one notch. When I pulled it forward and then slide it carefully straight back into the notches, it lines up. DOH!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts