Ruger Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I could careless what people buy, but would not go to the internet for advice. Too many fads, over hyped and too much marketing. Most sell the sizzle not the steak. Should be simple to find a reasonable price for a basic AR. I would first find out how much I plan to shoot one. The cost of ammo, nearby outdoor ranges and on and on.

I just wish AR owners would stay the heck out of local indoor pistol ranges.
funny, our outdoor range has no limit on caliber, the sheriff asked everybody not to use tannerite targets anymore.

in an indoor setting, ask the rangemaster if they have a problem if you bring in your ruger alaskan. If they do, then mention the .223 shooters who are likely rapid firing ( they asked us not to do that either btw, seems the people in the north end of town can hear it, and it freaks them out)

I was disappointed that the Ruger 556 didn't use a standard hand guard mounting system after all the information about the "ar platform"

great rifle for a first time AR user given the reasonable price and now with new models, you can get what you want (I bought the first week they were available, which I'll remember not to do again, I'd prefer the new model setups.)

for long sessions I wear earplugs AND earmuff..that helps alot.On sunday's the local that owns a .50 will come down and it's not my ears that hurt..is my neck. I've wrapped it up quick more then once when he's shown up. If its a tell, the guy has to use hearing aids

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have built 4, a 300 pistol and carbine, a 20" barrel 5.56 walnut A2 stock, and a 450 Bushmaster carbine. I did it for the learning experience and I purposely used some different parts to see the effects they had on performance. It is actually fairly hard to screw one up. The 450 is very particular about magazines and hates heavy buffers. There are little details like do you like your brass thrown to 3 o'clock or 4:30.
I have heard some really awful things about Radical, but only in the odd calibers.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
My point was they are like us at the FD, not carrying the best equipment available, but what fits into the budget. Or the ones that are doing the buying aren't the ones who are using it as the end user. I see that in my job everyday.

I was of the opinion the average grunt is not carrying the premium high quality stuff unless they are special units who acquire their own gear like green berets, delta, etc.
Had the same problem in my Public Service work. The people buying the lowest bid junk never had to use or depend on it. They were good at excuses for short lived/high maintenance issues though. Operator abuse.

One of our most common sayings a an Army Combat Engineer, "Don't forget, the lowest bidder got the contract to build it". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just curious when you have to get you trek rebuilt, how you gonna remove it from the barrel to send it back for refurb? Grind down the pin? Or send the hole barrel with it attached back to gemtech?

I'm not sure it ever will have to be re-built, but if it does, yeah, I'll grind her off. It is my suppressor that is the NFA item, not my upper with can attached. And for the record, it is SO nice to have a can on a 5.56. While, technically it may not be hearing safe, it takes that wicked crack out.
BTW, your service as a fire-fighter is just as important, even moreso than anything I ever did, thank you for your dedication and service to others.

GS

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
When I bought my lower, I told the guy at the counter I wanted his Anderson lower. He was young and said "this is what everybody is using today". He showed me some lowers that had cute pictures on the side. Anderson may have made these other lowers as well. I am not into the hype of what's popular. I am not going to be shooting an AR a lot because I am a handgun guy. I don't plan to go to war in the middle east with my rifle or subject it to those conditions.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I wish a company would come out with a gas piston system that can be used with an A2 front sight post. Believe their was one once but it had issues, maybe osprey made one. Id be interested in using one on my 20" a2 and keep the stock look, I already have enough with rails, plus I don't want to have to experiment with rails that are compatible with X brands piston system. Too much of a hassle. Maybe I need an early sr556, dont care for the takedown, and a sr762 to go with it thats had the bugs worked out.
I like my SR556. It's been good to go from day one and proven very reliable.

Had to wait for the SR762. I was on the first run list and the Dealers were only sending out limited numbers to the LGSs here. Mine (buy mistake) was sold out from under me by a new employee before I got there. :mad: I did get a great deal on a 901 to make up for it. Then the next run in, some were having the new issues (and getting sent back for repairs), then all of a sudden were put on backorder. :confused: Couldn't waste an hour drive to the LGS, canceled my SR762 order and went home with an untouched 901-16S (not that I'm a Colt fan by any means), but there wasn't any S&W AR10s to be had anywhere. I did finely get a call they were receiving the new up graded SR762 in a couple days and they would hold one for me. I took my own ammo and headed down. Test fired it at their range and brought it home. Been working just fine ever since. So mine has its own history. :D

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
But back to the original topic....

Their are not many bad ones out there , I would stay away from garage built rifles unless you know the builder and his methods personally. I still say stay away from polymer lowers, they do not hold up too well. I really cannot say anything bad about any others I have seen, milled, forged, etc. As the guys here have stated direct impingement or gas piston both have positives and negatives. Commercial or milspec, ar15 or m16 cut bolt carriers, free floated or 2 piece handguards, their are many good options on the market.
Not all, but most people are looking at the price. They want cheap. The one thing I always tell them is look at the warrantee and what the shipping back and forth amounts to if it does need to be worked on. How long has the manufacture been in business.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,753 Posts
Had the same problem in my Public Service work. The people buying the lowest bid junk never had to use or depend on it. They were good at excuses for short lived/high maintenance issues though. Operator abuse.

One of our most common sayings a an Army Combat Engineer, "Don't forget, the lowest bidder got the contract to build it". :rolleyes:
I totally understand. Alot of the equipment we get is piggybacked on another departments order to save on design, and setup production costs, since the manufacturer is already setup to build it. This includes uniforms, firetrucks, and gear. That reduces costs, however the problem is that the equipment is specified out by how the designing department plans to use it. So our needs may not be the same, but we are introduced the equipment and told to make it work since it wasn't designed for our particular operation. Its frustrating.

I'm not sure it ever will have to be re-built, but if it does, yeah, I'll grind her off. It is my suppressor that is the NFA item, not my upper with can attached. And for the record, it is SO nice to have a can on a 5.56. While, technically it may not be hearing safe, it takes that wicked crack out.
BTW, your service as a fire-fighter is just as important, even moreso than anything I ever did, thank you for your dedication and service to others.

GS
I have shot several firearms with cans, my favorite was a 22 amphibian, basically an integerally suppressed mark I ruger, I loved that pistol. Shot a few on ar's, mp5's and such. If I could only suppress one of mine it would be my barrett 99 in 50bmg, so I could stand to shoot more than 20 rounds in one sitting, the overpressure is the worst part of it.

Thanks for the kind words, its a job a really enjoy doing, and have done for over half my life, but I do it not for praise, awards or recognition. I do it because of the inner satisfaction it brings me, and the guys and gals on the line with me. People that put their lives in others hands, and others put their life in yours, truly know the meaning of brotherhood, and the bond it forms.
I mostly relate to John Wayne's quote. "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways!"

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
People that put their lives in others hands, and others put their life in yours, truly know the meaning of brotherhood, and the bond it forms.

I mostly relate to John Wayne's quote. "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways!"
True words well spoken.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
It's not probably so much the 'brands I don't trust' as it is some of the parts that are available...and there are some cheaper parts one can put on or in an AR platform rifle. I tend to use name-brand parts for most of my builds...not cheap knock-offs as found on ebay and other places.

My CMMG is set-up for longer distances using a heavier 16" bull-barrel that is crowned and recessed and is very accurate...it's all OEM. I can hit 8" plates consistently at 600 meters on a non-windy day...but it's not the rifle I would choose for home or personal defense.

For home / personal defense, we tend to use Anderson parts and they have functioned consistently and reliably for what we have asked of them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a 6920LE I bought when the prices started dropping. With the MOE package it was $906 shipped. April of 2014. It did jam up running Tula. I will look into polishing chambers.

Since I bought the Colt I have been ed-ju-ma-cating myself on AR's. I have 3 AR47's at the moment. 2 are PSA, one is a Alpha Shooting Sports 10.5" CHF nitrided upper. Mags are paramount in these rigs. C-Products Defense are my choice. I pull the bolts and put in Young Machine chrome plated with the big lug, and thick walls. An H2 buffer is a good start with the x39's. Presently I am running a 6.1oz in one of them. There are mentions of using .308 springs.

I have way too many PSA's in 5.56 :p A couple of 14.7's (one is a CHF FN), and a couple of 10.5's. I do have some A2 style PSA 20" kits. One is the CHF FN version. I do have an AR10 in .308 from PSA. So far it is very nice. 18" stainless Gen3 floater.

The M&P Sporters are very nice, and accurate. The barrels are supposed to be very durable. The triggers are nice. However the hammer I know is a MIM piece. The rest of the parts I have no clue. If I had one it would be replaced.

I have 2 PSA AR9's 16, and a 10.5. I have a Extar9, love it with 350rds so far. I also scratch built an AR40 with a Kaw Valley BCG, and barrel with a Aero upper, and Matrix Aero lower, and yes it takes Glock mags!!:p

No pistons. Bro is going to get issued a Sig with a piston. It's heavy. A local pro builder I trust has told me they are junk. I didn't press him for details.

What I do know is this is the "Good Old Days" of AR15's, and 2020 is coming. I'm predicting prices rising due to (IMO) most certain civil unrest. The Dem nominee will be touted as winning in the poles and panic will kick in to the new buyers.

I think I might like the AR platform. Yep, I have a couple of S&W 15-22's.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts