Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm finally done with my AR Pistol build. It will eventually become an SBR but until then, I will enjoy it as a pistol. Here are the specs and a few pics.

Lower:
- Adcor stripped lower
- Spike's LPK
- Magpul MIAD grip
- Magpul ASAP
- Phase 5 Pistol buffer tube

Upper:
- Black Rain Ordnance Billet Upper
- Black Rain Ordnance 7.5" Stainless Steel barrel in 223 Wylde
- Black Rain Ordnance extended charging handle
- Black Rain Ordnance Nickel Boron BCG
- Noveske KX3
- YHM handguard
- Magpul BUIS
- Vortex Sparc

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Happily Addicted - I'm not a huge tactical/AR guy (I do own an AR-15) but that is way cool! And I bet accurate out to 100 yards or beyond. Nice job - would love to see a range report.

Wave

P.S. Your photography skills are still impressive. You make me ashamed to post my own...

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Dang dude! That thing turned out super-nice!!! Love it! The Noveske on the front looks good, too. Post a range report when you get a chance. Would love to hear how it shoots.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happily Addicted - I'm not a huge tactical/AR guy (I do own an AR-15) but that is way cool! And I bet accurate out to 100 yards or beyond. Nice job - would love to see a range report.

Wave

P.S. Your photography skills are still impressive. You make me ashamed to post my own...
Thank you sir, I appreciate the compliment.

Dang dude! That thing turned out super-nice!!! Love it! The Noveske on the front looks good, too. Post a range report when you get a chance. Would love to hear how it shoots.
Thank you!!! I just finished it after work today. I plan on taking it out on Saturday so a range report will follow shortly after.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first SBR started life as a pistol and was set up just like yours. Once my paperwork came back I just put a stock on it. I quickly found out the ballistics of 5.56 out of a 7.5" barrel was shit so I rebarreled it to 6.8 SPC and replaced the 5.56 Flaming PIg with a 30 cal Flaming Pig. Now it rocks.

That is a beautiful build, you got skilz.

MadDog

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first SBR started life as a pistol and was set up just like yours. Once my paperwork came back I just put a stock on it. I quickly found out the ballistics of 5.56 out of a 7.5" barrel was shit so I rebarreled it to 6.8 SPC and replaced the 5.56 Flaming PIg with a 30 cal Flaming Pig. Now it rocks.

That is a beautiful build, you got skilz.

MadDog
Thank you! I will have a range report after I shoot it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Range report:

Took the pistol out yesterday and put exactly 200 flawless rounds through her. One thing I will say is that the blast and fireball that came out of that thing brought a lot of attention my way. I went in expecting some cycling issues but didn't have a single one. Also, I thought shooting it would be a bit uncomfortable since there is no stock. I was pleasantly surprised how easy the Phase 5 pistol buffer tube made it. It was so comfortable that I have now changed my mind on making it an SBR. I only had 2 issues. The trigger and hammer pins started walking on me and the Vortex Sparc optic started coming loose. I ended up ordering some KNS Anti rotation pins when I got home. As for the optic, I need to make sure I used the right size screws and put some loctite on them. I'll look into that this afternoon. Overall, I was very pleased with this build. I didn't bring my camera but here is a snapshot on my phone of the fireball :D

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Wow! That's quite the fireball. Glad you had a good first outing with the pistol. It's awesome when something looks as great as your pistol and even better when it shoots as good as it looks.

Well-done on the build!!!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! That's quite the fireball. Glad you had a good first outing with the pistol. It's awesome when something looks as great as your pistol and even better when it shoots as good as it looks.

Well-done on the build!!!
Thanks man. I had quite the grin on my face :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Noveske didn't call the muzzle device a "Flaming Pig" for nothing. Doesn't do anything for flash suppression but does it's intended job very well which is to through the concussive blast forward. I put a Smith Vortex on mine for a while and went back to the Pig. The Vortex did a great job at hiding the flash but anyone standing next to me got blasted. The Pig rocks!!!

MadDog

1 - 10 of 10 Posts