Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for variable magnification scope ideas, and mount height suggestions for my SR-556. Preferably 1 or 2 x 6 or 7 magnification. I'm not too interested in illuminated reticles, but could be swayed.
I have an EOTech 517 on it now, and really like it for close work, but my old 20/20 eyes don't work so well at distance with it. I'd been thinkin about throwing a magnifier behind it, but never pulled the trigger on one.
EOTech already approved me for a full refund due to the government lawsuit against them.
That gives me $400 to play with, counting a mount. I might throw in extra, to get a quick release mount.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
What do you want to do with the rifle?

The scope isn't for the rifle - it's for you. What do you want to be able to see? And at what range? If you can't see it, you can't hit it. For big targets at short ranges, low magnification, large FOV works well. For medium or big targets at mid to long range, a mid-magnification scope works fine. Small targets at mid to long range dictate higher mag optics to help you see - and subsequently hit - your target.

If it's a short range blasting toy, a 1-4x or 2-7x will treat you just fine. Don't waste money on any drop compensating reticles. A magnifier behind a red-dot is a great option, but can be ungainly if you do most of your shooting without the magnifier. A 2-7x should get you to 300yrds or more on a torso sized target.

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new Vortex 1-6 has been tugging at me. I like those 1-X scopes... And Vortex.
That's one that I'm lookin at. I just don't know about the illuminated reticles.
I like the Leupold VX-2 1-4x20, but would like something wider than 20.
I might just end up with an P-223 in 3x.

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
I'm looking for variable magnification scope ideas, and mount height suggestions for my SR-556. Preferably 1 or 2 x 6 or 7 magnification. I'm not too interested in illuminated reticles, but could be swayed.
I have an EOTech 517 on it now, and really like it for close work, but my old 20/20 eyes don't work so well at distance with it. I'd been thinkin about throwing a magnifier behind it, but never pulled the trigger on one.
EOTech already approved me for a full refund due to the government lawsuit against them.
That gives me $400 to play with, counting a mount. I might throw in extra, to get a quick release mount.
Same boat. My 517 went dim and is on its way back so I'm looking at scope options.

I'll assume you used your 517 for lower 1/3 cowitness? Does that mean you have a fixed front sight? How about your rear sight, fixed or fold down?

I ask because I'm going to follow your thread and see what you come up with in regards to a mount and an optic. My AR has a fixed front sight and a picatinny mount fixed rear sight.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My AR has a Nikon 2-8 x 32 scope with the Nikon M-223 XR Mount and I'm very happy with this setup.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As Varminterror said a scope is a personal thing for a personal use. For what it is worth I am happy with a Trijicon Accupoint 1X4X20 with the mildot reticle on a La Rue mount. This fits my desire for a rugged battery free low light scope for short range work. I can still shoot MOA at 100 yards easily with this scoped cranked to 4x. The La Rue is a quick release so I can pull the scope and use the stock BUS then put the scope back on with no change in POI. Not cheap, but worth the cost in my opinion.

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same boat. My 517 went dim and is on its way back so I'm looking at scope options.

I'll assume you used your 517 for lower 1/3 cowitness? Does that mean you have a fixed front sight? How about your rear sight, fixed or fold down?

I ask because I'm going to follow your thread and see what you come up with in regards to a mount and an optic. My AR has a fixed front sight and a picatinny mount fixed rear sight.
Mine came with fold down Troy sights. I went with the 517 because I liked the extra height.
Did you already get your refund request approved?
I have, but haven't sent the sight in yet. It hasn't ever given me any problems.

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My AR has a Nikon 2-8 x 32 scope with the Nikon M-223 XR Mount and I'm very happy with this setup.
That's the one I'm leaning towards, only I was thinking of the non extended range mount. I wasn't sure how the XR would be at close range, and don't plan on going much past 100 yards with it. I've got an AR-10 for that.
What's your opinion on the XR vs. no cant?

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
I have a AR carbine that I use for close quarters of 75-100 yards. I use a Bushnell AR Optics scope 3-9 x 40 w/ side parallax. The mounts are Nikon P-Series. The scope is crystal clear w/ HD optics and can reach out to 300+ yards if needed.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
That's one that I'm lookin at. I just don't know about the illuminated reticles.
I like the Leupold VX-2 1-4x20, but would like something wider than 20.
I might just end up with an P-223 in 3x.
Be careful!!! Don't get confused by simple numbers for objective sizes; what you are implying above is not correct!

The Leupold VX-2 1-4x20mm has a Field of View at 100yrds (meaning how wide of span you can see at 100yrds) of 74.7ft at 1x to 29.8ft when set at 4x (interpolating and assuming a linear zoom, I get 44.7ft at 3x).

The "wider" Nikon P223 3x32mm only has a Field of View at 100yrds of 35.6ft.

So the "wider" Nikon 3x32mm P223 doesn't actually have a wider FOV than the 1-4x20mm Leupold VX-2. Even at the same zoom setting, let alone when you compare the 1x setting, the Leupold has a larger visible field.

·
Registered
17,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Be careful!!! Don't get confused by simple numbers for objective sizes; what you are implying above is not correct!

The Leupold VX-2 1-4x20mm has a Field of View at 100yrds (meaning how wide of span you can see at 100yrds) of 74.7ft at 1x to 29.8ft when set at 4x (interpolating and assuming a linear zoom, I get 44.7ft at 3x).

The "wider" Nikon P223 3x32mm only has a Field of View at 100yrds of 35.6ft.

So the "wider" Nikon 3x32mm P223 doesn't actually have a wider FOV than the 1-4x20mm Leupold VX-2. Even at the same zoom setting, let alone when you compare the 1x setting, the Leupold has a larger visible field.
Thanks for pointin that out Varminterror. Now I need to go back and check out field of views better.
What scope would you recommend for close in to 100-150 yards. I don't have to go all the way down to 1x. My shootin eye has a scarred retina, so I can't leave both eyes open, anyway. I know, I should probably switch to southpaw, and do sometimes with open sights.
I pick up targets pretty fast with the fixed 4x that I use on most of my .22s, so I was thinkin 2-7 or 8 magnification.

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
Mine came with fold down Troy sights. I went with the 517 because I liked the extra height.
Did you already get your refund request approved?
I have, but haven't sent the sight in yet. It hasn't ever given me any problems.
My 517 got shipped out last week after the refund approval. If I wouldn't have noticed the dimming, I would have kept it.

My rear sight is a fixed Troy unit. It is well made, but really only suited for red dot co-witness use. The 517 was perfect for that.

Like you, I gotta figure out what's next. My eyes are what they used to be, so some eyepiece focus is going to be necessary. Such as on a scope or a prism scope.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
You're probably over-thinking this.

My "low magnification scopes" are Nikon Monarch 1-4x20mm, Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20mm, and Leup VX-6 1-6x24mm. Big spread on these for cost, of course. If I'm shooting 0-100 or 150yrds at large targets - which is rare - then I don't usually use scopes, I use red dots. These scopes above are on dangerous game rifles, such with the expectation to need to shoot from 15yrds on dangerous African game out to 300yrds for plains game, hence the need for higher end magnification.

Out of your two choices listed in your last post - the Nikon P223 3x32mm or the Leupold VX-2 1-4x20mm - I'd get the Leup VX-2. Larger FOV and versatility of variable zoom.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I went with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 x 24 scope with illuminated center. Been very happy with it compared to just a red dot Vortex Sparc. Rings gongs at 200 yards and groups well at 100.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You might want to check out the Weaver Tactical (1-5x24 30 mm). I replaced an EO-Tech with that scope and have been very pleased with it. It does have illuminated reticle (choice of red or green - easy to select/change). Overall it gives a good sight picture for close work at 1x and the 5x lets you "reach out" as needed.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts