Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a noob question, but I have an opportunity to buy used AR for a pretty good price; but it has a fixed stock …

My assumption is that as long as it's a mil-spec lower, then I can buy a collapsible stock (online or at my LGS) and replace the existing fixed stock ????

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
296 Posts
You will need a carbine buffer tube, spring, and buffer in addition to the telescoping stock...maybe some other small parts. It's a relatively easy job for a home gunsmith with a few tools...or find a gunsmith with the simple tools to do it while you wait. Make sure the stock and tube are both Mil-Spec or commercial...the parts aren't inter-changeable!

Every AR I see in the sales racks lately has a telescoping stock

·
Registered
48 Posts
go to palmettostatearmory.com and search buffer tube kits (they have a bunch of them) they range from 49.99 and up. typically if you go with a magpul stock (which looks the best) your going to spend around 125. then if your doing this yourself your going to need a castlenut wrench. they vary in price alot anywhere from 10-30$

watch this video. its shows great detail on how to install a buffer tube kit.

DIY AR-15 Build - Buttstock Installation - YouTube

What AR are you looking at and how much are they asking for it?

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I've always preferred the standard length stock on AR's with longer barrels. In fact, I just built a new AR that has a 24" bull barrel and a standard A2 buttstock. For a 16" close quarters rifle, a collapsible makes more sense.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts