Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE CHECK POST #25 and down RANGE REPORT #34

Okaaaaaaaay,

I was cleaning my AR last night and got a cloth stuck inside the barrel. I went to **** Depot and got some dowels and cut them into smaller pieces and tried to tap the cloth out with no luck. I proceeded to stick my cleaning rod and tap on the stuck dowels with no luck. Frustrated I went from the barrel side and tried to tap the other way and ended up getting everything stuck even more. I then went with the power of Thor and tried several love taps(both sides) with bending my cleaning rods. I'm pretty darn sure I messed up the crown and damaged the inside of the barrel. Still nothing. Ugh. Anything else I can do besides taking it to a gun smith and trying to explain my moronic maneuver?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Did you soak it with gun oil over night ? and then try is again?

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did soak it in gunslick over night.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Your best bet is to drive it back out the same way it went in, like you said before. I would keep soaking it for a few days and the mark the rod or what ever you use to knock it out that way you can track your progress. Just try not to get to aggressive and ruin the barrel. Take your time.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Last resort replace the barrel, AR barrels aren't cheap and yet they aren't all that expensive either.

And, don't repeat what ever it was you did that got the cloth stuck in the first place...Don't you just love after the fact advice...lol

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If you have wood dowels you'd need to be careful not to drive something into it wedging it tighter.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Depending on how deep your "problem" is you may be able to drill it out with a thin, long bit,,,,,,or you could always use a solid brass rod and drive it out the way it went in, this is the way I would suggest. If you think you already damaged the barrel you could always take it to a mach shop and have it pressed out. They prob wont do any more damage than you have already done. :)

Reactions: Brewster

·
Registered
1 Posts
stuck cleaning patch

Next time use an air compressor with a rubber tipped blow nozzle. Blow or drive the patch from the opposite direction you put it in.

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, cool fellas. I'm thinking I'm not going to mess with it anymore and just get a new barrel. Thank you.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Brewster, just wanted to express my condolences. I know you love your M&P and it hurts when things like this happen. Good luck and hope for the best.

Wave

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why quit before you know for sure? It may be just fine, you never know.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
It might be cheaper to take it to a smith and let him get it out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Do you know any black power shooters? If you do ask them if them if they have rod that they use to remove a lead shot when its stuck in the barrel. You may be able to screw it into the rag and pull it out. It may pull on a small area of the rag and thin it out as you pull on the rod. Or you may be able to make one yourself using a dowel and a long wood screw. worth a try no?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Shoot it out... Ok, ok, maybe not ;) I would have to muster some courage to bring that sucker to a gunsmith!

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brewster, just wanted to express my condolences. I know you love your M&P and it hurts when things like this happen. Good luck and hope for the best.

Wave
Thanks Wave I appreciate that. I guess crap happens to all of us. Thing that sucks more is being poor and havin to save that cash back up but I'll get there again. I may sell my Beretta we'll see. I won't give up just yet though. I'll try the black powder shooter rod idea and see if that works.

Ima tell y'all if I get the obstructions all out and there be no damage I'm going to praise the Melonite Barrel.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Oh, man - that just sucks. My sympathies.

However, all is not lost just yet. Even though you bent a cleaning rod in the barrel, it may not be ruined. Get a range rod - a solid brass rod just under the barrel diameter - from Brownell's or somewhere and try tapping it out from the opposite direction.

Or take it to a gunsmith - either way, it's bound to be cheaper than replacing the barrel.

If you go the gunsmith route - one I heartily endorse, by the way - they probably have a borescope to inspect the barrel afterwards.

Best of luck!

Jim

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well folks I bought a medal rod today and pounded the living snot out of the thing and GUESS WHAT!

...didn't work. SOB! So I did the next best thing I researched barrels, AR tools, uppers, etc etc. Adding the price of tools, parts separatly, no warrentee etc I decided to just buy a new one all out and keep my remaining old one for a slow project build. I wanted to stay with the 5R rifling + melonite barrel and decided on the M&P 15T Product: Model M&P15T - 5.56 mm, Tactical the baby is on lay away. Got her for a hair under a grand.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts