Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm in need of some help picking out a red dot for my recent budget build. I am using a PSA upper with a "F" market flattop and as I mentioned it's a budget build so I would like to spend $150 or under. so far I have an interest In the bushnell, sightmark, primary arms and Burris red dots but I don't have any experience with these optics and I have found many mixed reviews between each brand. Any help, recommendations, experience or comments would be great, also I would like to mount a backup sight behind the red dot so and recommendation or ideas would be a plus. Thanks

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Backup iron sights are easy... Magpul BUIS polymer sights are the way to go. Quality and affordable.

You named off a few good red dot brands on a budget. Skip Sightmark. Bushnell TRS-25 would work. Primary Arms makes great quality optics that are affordable. Burris is the same. Also, check Vortex. They make numerous great choices like the Sparc and Strikefire II (thought the dot is rather big: 5moa).

I'd feel confident with any of those dot choices.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The Bushnell TRS-25 earns high marks in the budget red dot market. I was a hairs breath away from buying one until I found Primary Arms reflex sight. I don't have anything to compare it to since this was the first red dot I have ever put on a rifle (my M4ish carbine) , but I can tell you that I love it. Maybe this is applicable to red dots in general, but I was surprised at how easy they are to use. The PA reflex made target acquisition stupid easy for me.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,423 Posts
xXTguyXx, Rather than confuse yourself with all the brands and models, you owe it to yourself to get educated on optics. Once you understand the pros and cons of the types, you can marry the information up with the proclaimed mission for your rifle. A few very important issues ... no one sighting system is best for all shooting scenarios. The accuracy potential of any gun is dependent on the gun and ammo ... optics merely optimize aiming. The best scope in the world can not improve accuracy beyond the gun's capability ..... and last, if an inexpensive optical device is loaded with features, chances are quality is not one of them.

Start with determining the "mission" for your rifle .... ie plinking, short range target shooting, medium range target shooting, long range target shooting, varmint hunting, para-military training ...... and the list goes on. Don't try to "what if?" every possible scenario ... rather be honest with your self and determine the firearm's most likely use ... then pursue a sighting system that best meets those needs. With the very limited information you provided in your post, there's no way to determine the optimum solution.

Here's a document that may help you understand optics a bit better and will help you determine what magnification you need, type of reticule, even the type of mounts. Check this link out: http://rugerforum.net/library/61505-scope-dope.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
Eye-Oh-wee-jan Sir.

Thanks much for your scope dope. Also, I am fairly new here, I just want throw out some appreciation to you and the Neon Horse and Ditto of course for your patience. Ok, I'll cork my whiskey and go sleep it off.

Cheers.

·
Registered
253 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Take a look I into the vortex strikefire 2. It's a little above your price point but it can be found on sale every now and then. I have one on my 9mm ar style carbine and I love it. Accurate and holds zero, also comes with a nice mount.

Vortex Optics StrikeFire II Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x 4 MOA Red Green
+1, i own several of them, good from 25 yards to , 200 yards on almost any rifle. The vortex has a lifetime warranty no questions asked.;) The Bushnell is also valued by many in that price range,, those would be my picks under $200 along with the primary arms micro dot rbgII. I have one on my contingency rifle with an american defense removable mount, sight was $89 2moa dot, kill flash, and always works. Here is a, link. I own several of these on everything from an ar15, to, a full size uzi, mac10, and a 10/22 and markIII target pistol. Good stuff.

Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base - MD-RBGII - Primary Arms

Vortex StrikeFire II Bright Red Dot SF-BR-503- Primary Arms

Here is some of mine with the above optics,

Contingency rifle with primary arms micro dot..

This one is a vortex strikefire II with its included 1/3 lower cowitness mount to give you an idea.

Here is my uzi with a primary arms micro dot without the riser mount.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tacky,
Sorry to change the subject but I want one of those AR 15 diagram cleaning mats that is pictured with your gun. Can you please tell me where you purchased it

·
Registered
458 Posts
Go with either a Vortex Strikefire ll, or SPARK ll, both under $200, they are solid and great built. If anything ever goes wron Vortex will fix it or replace it!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,081 Posts
Tacky,
Sorry to change the subject but I want one of those AR 15 diagram cleaning mats that is pictured with your gun. Can you please tell me where you purchased it
No problem...I own several, ar15, ak47, sks, m14, and m1 garand. They are great mats to have around the shop, made alot like the pads used for computer mouses, but larger. I recommend them.;)

http://www.amazon.com/TekMat-12-Inch-36-Inch-Cleaning-Imprint/dp/B0036N474S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456965205&sr=8-1&keywords=tekmats

Primary arms also has them...good company to do business with....

http://www.primaryarms.com/tekmat/c/brand_1001_188/

Yep good gear.;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Hey guys I'm in need of some help picking out a red dot for my recent budget build. I am using a PSA upper with a "F" market flattop and as I mentioned it's a budget build so I would like to spend $150 or under. so far I have an interest In the bushnell, sightmark, primary arms and Burris red dots but I don't have any experience with these optics and I have found many mixed reviews between each brand. Any help, recommendations, experience or comments would be great, also I would like to mount a backup sight behind the red dot so and recommendation or ideas would be a plus. Thanks
The Bushnell 25mm red dot is a good optic for the money. My nephew has one on his PSA build, and he has beat the crap outta that rig...breaks my heart. I tend to baby my guns, but none the less that Bushnell has held up well for him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought an Aimpoint H1 for the AR-556, love it. But when it came time for another for a 300BLK I was building, went with the Bushnell on clearance from PSA, works well. Eventually took it off the 300BLK, added another Aimpoint and put the Bushnell on the 10/22 TD. Only put 100 rds or so through the 300BLK with it, but have 2500 or so through the 10/22 and holds zero with no issues. Worth the $60. I think they run under $100 normally, so will leave you money for some ammo

·
Registered
308 Posts
Vortex Strikefire II or Sparc AR would be my first suggestions. Primary Arms is good too. Aimpoint makes the the best ones in my opinion, but they are spendy. I prefer the 30mm version (Strikefire II for the Vortex suggested). Get the the Red dot only version, NOT the red/green.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts