Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently saw that AR's were being built with short barrels and labeled as pistols. The shoulder stocks are being called braces. The 7.5 seems too short but the 10.5 is interesting. The 7.5 becomes a flame thrower and the noise raises greatly with the shorter barrel. FPS will drop but not an issue for me. For urban situations this may catch on. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think it's a solution in search of a problem.

It is essentially a legal short barrel rifle posing as a pistol and it may not even be legal everywhere.

It begs the question "Why?" What would one do with that? It shoots a rifle cartridge but it's not a rifle. So it is incredibly loud, not as easy to shoot as a rifle in terms of accuracy and is extremely unwieldy.

Maybe.........in some executive protection role where you might need armor piercing capability in some weapon that could sort of be concealed under a jacket??????

I just think in most situations it is more of a novelty than a useful tool.

An M4 variant with a 16" barrel and a collapsible butt stock would be far more useful as a compact rifle and you would have greater velocity. Not to mention that you might actually be able to hit something with it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am planning on building one in 6.5 Grendel with a 12.5” barrel. Where I live, in MN, I can only hunt with a shotgun or pistol. Hence the AR pistol. That configuration should yield about 2500-2600fps with a 120gr bullet. With a 1-8 power scope I should be able to take deer at ranges up to 200 yards.

I can hunt coyotes with a rifle in the exact same forest I have to hunt deer with a pistol or shotgun. So, I am trying to give myself the best possible “pistol” I can for deer. And it would work well for coyotes too, if I see any.

With regards to sound, I run a suppressor, so it doesn’t really matter to me. The blast is greatly reduced.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I view these AR type pistols as novelties with no practical purpose. If I want to shoot a rifle round out of a pistol, I'll grab my TC chambered in 7-08, if an "urban situation" should arise, (and probably never will), I'd rather have my 20" AR by my side.

Just my .07 cents worth, (inflation).

Here Kitty Kitty

·
Registered
189 Posts
The short AR braced pistols are a way to get SBR size without the extra $200 the government rips you for. Instead you can apply the $200 towards a suppressor which a lot of these weapons wind up hosting.

If you listen to talk around the various sites. Going that short is better for some calibers and “meh” for others. 300 blackout has seen the most benefit from going shorter for both suppressed and unsuppressed shooting.

To each their own I say. To argue its supposed “need” only invites those in favor of gun control to say that “even gun owners don’t think they should be legal.”

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I understand that proving "need" is a potentially slippery slope that gun owners don't want to go down. I shouldn't have to prove a need to own something that's legal. If I want it and it's legal then that should be the end of the discussion.

HOWEVER

That cuts both ways. Gun owners often find ourselves in difficult to defend positions because of the choices we make. It may not be fair but it's reality.

I was never a fan of bump stocks, trigger cranks, Hell fire devices and other juvenile nonsense. Those types of juvenile exercises don't help our cause. They may be legal but they PUT us on that same slippery slope that we were trying to avoid in the first place. A short barreled rifle that passes for a pistol is in that category. I get a Thompson Contender or an old Remington XP-100 bur an AR-15?

I'm a grown man, I could wear a baseball cap with the bill turned backwards if I wanted. It's perfectly legal to do so. I choose not to because you look like an IDIOT when you do that. So I could go around and explain to people that I'm allowed to wear my cap backwards if I want and inform them that I'm not a moron OR I could just avoid the whole issue all together by making a different choice.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I already have a TC with several barrels, but a shouldered AR pistol is going to be much more stable in my hands than my TC. Different strokes for different folks.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
Ah the short barrel ar. I own one, and several of its longer barreled relatives. I can say from my testing the shorter barrels are capable of the same accuracy as my longer barreled rifles ★ IF ★ you use the right round in it. The biggest difference is the loss of range versus the longer barreled version. This is due to more powder being burnt in the barrel, and less fireball which is wasting energy. More powder consumed in a longer barrel produces more velocity, which in turn gives longer ranges before the bullet goes subsonic, and loses stability. I consider my 10.5 a 300 yard gun maximum. If I need distance I use a 16, 20, or 24".
My pistol is a 10.5" 1n8 twist, wylde chamber that is a carbine length gas system. I would not go below 10.5" due to the shorter barrels like a 7.5 or shorter use a pistol length gas system which can be touchy to make reliable more so than the carbine gas system. If I was going shorter I would go with a gas piston or adjustable gas block direct impingement gun to tune the setup perfectly. This applies to rifle cartridges, not pistol, like my rra 9mm, its a blowback and cartridge is designed for pistol barrels, so a pistol caliber would be fine with a short barrel, but you can gain velocity in a longer pistol barrel such as the 16".

The pistol is a fun gun, with a 75 grain hpbt hornady match bullet and h4895 powder its a 1moa shooter at 100 yards. I would also recommend a noveske kx3 flash can, or similiar device to divert the blast forward. Its what I use. The short barrels are blasty, very blasty. However its a smaller package, great for tight places a longer AR can be cumbersome.

I can say that they can be great firearms with some good attributes, for certain purposes, and they are fun. If I had a few other ar's carbines or longer than I would consider a 10.5, 11.5, for my collection. If I didn't own an ar, I would go with a carbine or rifle as my first choice.

Here is mine. Will answer any questions if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have several rifle caliber "pistols" (5.56, 7.72x39 and .308). They are legal, as are the braces.

If it ever hits the fan, in a city environment they will be useful. Very easy to carry in the car as well.

Fun to shoot.

Go for it. You don't have to justify what you choose to own to anyone (well, maybe your wife...).

·
Registered
860 Posts
I find this post hilarious, as a Marine I like Close quarters AR's and Long range M14's. I personally have a lot of weapons and my 7.5" pistol AR is my favorite. Someone telling me that they can't reasonably see the need for such a weapon is short sighted at best. But then again this is America(for the most part) and anyone is entitled to make their list of desirable weapons and build their own collection.

My AR pistol is perfectly legal in Texas, now I have to make a holster for it LOL!

Attachments

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,814 Posts
There is definitely a fun factor with these AR pistols. I never put a brace on mine but use a sling that allows you some steadying factor. Loud and obnoxious and everybody wants to shoot it and has big grin on their face. Mine has a serious, practical purpose. It is fun.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,541 Posts
I find this post hilarious, as a Marine I like Close quarters AR's and Long range M14's. I personally have a lot of weapons and my 7.5" pistol AR is my favorite. Someone telling me that they can't reasonably see the need for such a weapon is short sighted at best. But then again this is America(for the most part) and anyone is entitled to make their list of desirable weapons and build their own collection.

My AR pistol is perfectly legal in Texas, now I have to make a holster for it LOL!
Love the m14 too, and long range prowess.:)

Thanks for the details Tacky. The Sig brace seems to be very popular on these guns. What do you like about yours?
Well my brace is a first gen, its ok, no issues, I do like the newer version a tad better, and like the kak too. I went with a kak exteneded buffer tube on mine which I recommend. I can say that getting a tax stamp and adding a stock is the most desirable, but if not allowed due to local laws, and such, or if you dont want the hassle the brace is way better than just a plain buffer tube. If I could only do a buffer tubed pistol, i would do the rock river pds pistol, which has no tube. Have experience with them, great gas piston pistol and well thought out. But i can say I own only one ar pistol, and a large number of carbine, rifles and long barrels in the ar platform. Built my pistol from scratch as I did with 90% of my ar's. It was worth it.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you're going to put a "brace" (wink, wink...) on it, why not just pay the $200 for a tax stamp and put a STOCK on it OR put a stock on it and a 16" barrel?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Recently built an ar pistol in 300 blk with a 10.5 in barrel. Haven’t had a chance to go shoot it yet so it may go up for trade at an up coming gun show. That said it’s nice and lightweight and I went with 300 blackout as it loses little performance in shorter barrels compared to other calibers. Another reason to go with the pistol instead of SBR is the ease of transporting across state lines.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Wink wink, because we don't want to. The other has to many rules.

Steve
I GET IT !!

Trust me, I really, really truly get it.

Gun owners don't want to get into the habit of justifying a need to own something that's legal. We don't want to say anything other than "because I just want to".
But who are we proving that point to?

Our fellow gun owners know it's legal and they already agree with us. They don't care.
The anti-gun folks aren't going to get it and they don't want to get it. So we're not winning them over to our side and we're not really helping our cause either.

If you want to own a short barreled rifle that is technically a pistol and then put a "brace" on it because "you can"; have at it ! But who are you really doing that for?????
I totally understand the concept of, "Because I can" and the concept of, "Just because I want to". It's the notion of, "should I do it" that I'm missing.

Sometimes I think gun owners would gain more ground if we just got out of our own way.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I GET IT !!

Trust me, I really, really truly get it.

Gun owners don't want to get into the habit of justifying a need to own something that's legal. We don't want to say anything other than "because I just want to".
But who are we proving that point to?

Our fellow gun owners know it's legal and they already agree with us. They don't care.
The anti-gun folks aren't going to get it and they don't want to get it. So we're not winning them over to our side and we're not really helping our cause either.

If you want to own a short barreled rifle that is technically a pistol and then put a "brace" on it because "you can"; have at it ! But who are you really doing that for?????
I totally understand the concept of, "Because I can" and the concept of, "Just because I want to". It's the notion of, "should I do it" that I'm missing.

Sometimes I think gun owners would gain more ground if we just got out of our own way.

Anti-gun people don't know the difference. And they don't care.

Pistol or SBR will make ZERO differrence to gun control freaks. They don't like either of them.

The high moral ground you are attempting to take here is less than a molehill.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts