Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
FWIW...you can take an AR15 pistol & change the barrel to a rifle length barrel....and now it's a rifle.

You are not allowed to take an AR15 rifle and shorten the barrel without the proper documentation...otherwise you created a SBR & need a stamp to do so legally.

An AR15 pistol allows the versatility to make "adjustments"
Many people that buy stripped lowers register them as pistols to give them more options

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you're going to put a "brace" (wink, wink...) on it, why not just pay the $200 for a tax stamp and put a STOCK on it OR put a stock on it and a 16" barrel?
+1 What Bobberfishin said. As long as it was sold as a pistol, you can always make it into a rifle. It might also be alot of fun to put the 22LR conversion in it as a pistol. I am waiting on a 10.5" AR Pistol so I can carry it easier in my car. The Carbine gets hard for a small person to maneuver in a car with bucket seats. Ok for my truck though. Either way, as John Lovell puts it, will be a 'disincentiviser for the other bad guys' . :D

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This has been fun learning about the AR pistols. For myself, only shooting from 25 yds to 100 yds, a longer barrel rifle has to be a question of why? A 10.5 barrel will be all I need plus it is lighter, easier to carry in a car, plus more handy due to it's size. I really don't see why I would chose a 16, 18, or 20 in. barrel. A cone device on the muzzle to direct flash and sound forward and you're good to go.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm active on the 6.5 Grendel forum and the AR pistols are popular over there.

Posters here have already stated some good uses for a pistol: good "truck" gun, good for woods hunting when shots are short. Super maneuverable.
Depending on the caliber, they don't lose as much velocity as you would think. A 10" or 12" 6.5 Grendel still has enough velocity and energy to kill medium game within a couple hundred yards.
300BO is still effective in short barrels too.

Short barrels from good makers are accurate. Being short doesn't make them less accurate...but short, light guns are hard to hold steady, like a pistol.

I thought they were a fad but it seems they're gaining popularity.

Personally, I still like my 20" ARs and 22"-24" bolt guns.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have three... a 10.5" 300 BLK, a 8.5" 9mm, and a 7.5" .556

I thought I made a mistake when I bought the 7.5" .556, as I was reading that velocity drops off terribly with that short of a barrel, and a short barrel is very concussive. SO... I sought TACKYs advice, bought a shrouded blast device for the muzzle, and put it together. I have a simple buffer tube with a pad on my .556 lower.. Registering the buffer pad under my cheek, gives me three points of contact, and its very shootable. The shrouded blast device pushes the obnoxious blast forward and downrange, and its a very pleasant toy. Its also very accurate. The 300 BLK is as easy to shoot as a rifle. I have a Shockwave Blade on that lower. The 9mm is a CMMG, and has just a buffer tube.

I love shooting the 7.5" .556 It brings a big smile to my face every time. I am in the process of building a 7.5" 762x39 pistol. I'm sure it will become a favorite as well.

Count me as one who sees the value, and enjoy-ability of the AR pistol.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
With a barrel under 16", what type of brace is acceptable to shoulder, if any?
I have a Shockwave Blade on my 300 BLK pistol. It is thin where it contacts my shoulder. I suppose it could be painful if shooting hundreds of rounds at a time, but I haven't noticed any issue. As far as I know, its legal to shoulder, at the last determination from ATF, as long as the length of pull isn't longer than 13.5"

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
With a barrel under 16", what type of brace is acceptable to shoulder, if any?
Sig brace for one. PSD for another. Whatever brace you consider, just be sure the manufacturer has a letter from the ATF determining the device does not turn the pistol into an SBR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ah the short barrel ar. I own one, and several of its longer barreled relatives. I can say from my testing the shorter barrels are capable of the same accuracy as my longer barreled rifles ★ IF ★ you use the right round in it. The biggest difference is the loss of range versus the longer barreled version. This is due to more powder being burnt in the barrel, and less fireball which is wasting energy. More powder consumed in a longer barrel produces more velocity, which in turn gives longer ranges before the bullet goes subsonic, and loses stability. I consider my 10.5 a 300 yard gun maximum. If I need distance I use a 16, 20, or 24".
My pistol is a 10.5" 1n8 twist, wylde chamber that is a carbine length gas system. I would not go below 10.5" due to the shorter barrels like a 7.5 or shorter use a pistol length gas system which can be touchy to make reliable more so than the carbine gas system. If I was going shorter I would go with a gas piston or adjustable gas block direct impingement gun to tune the setup perfectly. This applies to rifle cartridges, not pistol, like my rra 9mm, its a blowback and cartridge is designed for pistol barrels, so a pistol caliber would be fine with a short barrel, but you can gain velocity in a longer pistol barrel such as the 16".

The pistol is a fun gun, with a 75 grain hpbt hornady match bullet and h4895 powder its a 1moa shooter at 100 yards. I would also recommend a noveske kx3 flash can, or similiar device to divert the blast forward. Its what I use. The short barrels are blasty, very blasty. However its a smaller package, great for tight places a longer AR can be cumbersome.

I can say that they can be great firearms with some good attributes, for certain purposes, and they are fun. If I had a few other ar's carbines or longer than I would consider a 10.5, 11.5, for my collection. If I didn't own an ar, I would go with a carbine or rifle as my first choice.

Here is mine. Will answer any questions if needed.
Is that a YHM Diamond specter length on 10.5 inch barrel?

·
"The Real Deal"
6,536 Posts
Is that a YHM Diamond specter length on 10.5 inch barrel?
I think so. Its bern a long time since i built it. Its a 11.5" hbar barrel and either a 9.7 "midlength or 10.5" specture. I will check and let you know. I do remember only the barrel threads and maybe a 1/4" of barrel protruded past the handguard cap, worked well with the blast diverter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think so. Its bern a long time since i built it. Its a 11.5" hbar barrel and either a 9.7 "midlength or 10.5" specture. I will check and let you know. I do remember only the barrel threads and maybe a 1/4" of barrel protruded past the handguard cap, worked well with the blast diverter.
I have the specter length on another ar and was looking to move it to a pistol build with a 10.5.i know specter is 9.75 inch so was hoping it would fit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
First, I get that "because you want to" is a good reason to own anything you want that is legal. No hate here. My brother once wanted a 50mm pistol (yes, 50mm not .50 cal). Not really usable, but he wanted it.

Now. the main reason I don't like this is because this is a work around. You say that anti-gunners know nothing about guns and don't know the difference? I don't think that's true of all anti second ammendmenters. When we seek a "work around" for an existing rule, we look like we're underhanded. This was the case with bump stocks, and that issue created a lot of hate and discontent. Personally, I don't think there should be a law against rifles or shotguns under a certain length, since we all know criminals don't follow rules anyway, but those rules do exist. For that matter, I should be able to own a fully auto SMG without jumping through hoops, but there you are.

To answer how "useful" these are in the woods or in the car, or inside a house; so is a standard pistol shooting a pistol caliber round. If you are shooting far enough to take advantage of a rifle cartridge, you are better off with a rifle length barrel for which that cartridge was designed. If you are in the truck, deep woods, house, where ranges are limited, even a 7.5" barrel is more bulky than a standard sized pistol, and you generally get the added benefit of a larger projectile, though less velocity (read less recoil). Hence, I consider these arguments egocentric, though as I have said before, that's okay with ME.

Again, I have no problem with anyone owning anything legally, but I think we need to be careful not to be cavalier about the situation.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,536 Posts
I have the specter length on another ar and was looking to move it to a pistol build with a 10.5.i know specter is 9.75 inch so was hoping it would fit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Yes you should be good. That length with a 11.5 barrel allows about any muzzle device and still be able to use the yhm handguard cap. It might not be so easy with a 10.5 if you plan to use a handguard cap and large muzzle device

21 - 40 of 41 Posts