Ruger Forum banner

AR15's with 7.5 & 10.5 inch barrels?

20K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Tacky 
#1 ·
I just recently saw that AR's were being built with short barrels and labeled as pistols. The shoulder stocks are being called braces. The 7.5 seems too short but the 10.5 is interesting. The 7.5 becomes a flame thrower and the noise raises greatly with the shorter barrel. FPS will drop but not an issue for me. For urban situations this may catch on. What do you guys think?

#37 ·
First, I get that "because you want to" is a good reason to own anything you want that is legal. No hate here. My brother once wanted a 50mm pistol (yes, 50mm not .50 cal). Not really usable, but he wanted it.

Now. the main reason I don't like this is because this is a work around. You say that anti-gunners know nothing about guns and don't know the difference? I don't think that's true of all anti second ammendmenters. When we seek a "work around" for an existing rule, we look like we're underhanded. This was the case with bump stocks, and that issue created a lot of hate and discontent. Personally, I don't think there should be a law against rifles or shotguns under a certain length, since we all know criminals don't follow rules anyway, but those rules do exist. For that matter, I should be able to own a fully auto SMG without jumping through hoops, but there you are.

To answer how "useful" these are in the woods or in the car, or inside a house; so is a standard pistol shooting a pistol caliber round. If you are shooting far enough to take advantage of a rifle cartridge, you are better off with a rifle length barrel for which that cartridge was designed. If you are in the truck, deep woods, house, where ranges are limited, even a 7.5" barrel is more bulky than a standard sized pistol, and you generally get the added benefit of a larger projectile, though less velocity (read less recoil). Hence, I consider these arguments egocentric, though as I have said before, that's okay with ME.

Again, I have no problem with anyone owning anything legally, but I think we need to be careful not to be cavalier about the situation.

#41 ·
Having it classed as a pistol has more than novelty factors.
Transporting an SBR across state lines can be a hassle.
Can keep a pistol loaded in the car.
Can keep it loaded in a backpack.
Assuming you have a CCL of course.

For me with an 8" AR9 using an SBA3 brace and a Law folder this works out perfect.

The next 5.56 pistol upper I want to build will use a Sons of Liberty 13.7" barrel and their NOX flash hider/brake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.