Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new model 8500 AR556. I am already looking at upgrades and add-ons. Can anyone advise me on the correct carry handle: mil-spec or commerial?

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
Check out Monstrum Tactical or Brownells.

·
Registered
153 Posts
IMO the first addition to any serious rifle is a sling. It's not nearly as sexy as some of the other ugprades, but will undoubtedly add serious utility to the weapon.

My favorite upgrade to my AR-556 was the addition of a red dot optic. Co witness it with your iron's and you're in business! Lots of fun! I went for the SigRomeo5, mostly because it was on sale and seemed to have a decent balance between durability and price...

And TBH those are the only upgrades I have on my AR-556. It pretty much came set up how I wanted it. I've considered a larger charging handle, but never really felt that the one that came with it was inadequate for my purposes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The AR556 should have an F height front sight post, so it should use a standard “mil-spec” A3/A4 type detachable carry handle, not a Bushmaster detachable carry handle.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Before adding bells and whistles. Did you shoot the rifle yet ?

·
Banned
388 Posts
The AR556 should have an F height front sight post, so it should use a standard “mil-spec” A3/A4 type detachable carry handle, not a Bushmaster detachable carry handle.
Bushmaster carbines also have a F marked sight post, so YES a Bushmaster carry handle will work. Also Bushmaster does not make their own carry handles and they use the same ones as Colt and everyone else, I have multiple Colt carry handles and Bushmaster, they all use the same few forge markings.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bushmaster carbines also have a F marked sight post, so YES a Bushmaster carry handle will work. Also Bushmaster does not make their own carry handles and they use the same ones as Colt and everyone else, I have multiple Colt carry handles and Bushmaster, they all use the same few forge markings.
The newer Bushmasters do. Such has not always been the case, and it’s not too difficult to find the old versions around. Not a huge challenge, as a $7 front sight post which is .04” shorter will adapt an F marked front to a short handle, but it can be very frustrating for folks when they install a handle and can’t zero the rifle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on your recent purchase. I had a minor issue while upgrading my handguard that Ruger resolved by sending me a new free Delta ring.

New grip, handguard, and buttstock and my AR556 is good to go.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts