Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After spending time researching many guns I felt Ruger AR-556 was the best choice. I am picky with guns and like to keep them along with their boxes and all original documentation.

So I purchased a brand spanking new Ruger AR-556. On day 1 after receiving it I dismantled the gun to clean, inspect and relube it. During the process I find extra machining metal shaving on the firing pin.

So I just leave it, lube it and then go shoot it. After 9 rounds I find that a beaver crawled inside the gun and is chewing on the buffer.

So I call Ruger, they say, send photos, did and they said please ship it back in to get gun inspected by technicians. Please fill out the proper paperwork. So I fill it all out, fill in the issues and noted the shavings on the firing pin.

Quickly they called back, stated the buffer retainer pin was drilled in the wrong location and they are going to need to put a new lower on the gun to fix it. I replied that I need the gun fixed and to please make sure that I get the box with the new serial number on it so that it is a match.

Oh... that is how FrankenRuger gets created.

Gun comes back in this box and something looks odd on the label, its applied with wrinkles in it.

But I look closer and notice its not a new box, it my old box with 2 labels one over the other with all different serial numbers on them.

The new FrankenRuger 556 is much looser than the original lower, the box has 3 labels of serial numbers on it and to top it all off.. The shavings are still on the firing pin.

Ruger Quality Control is lacking in many areas. :eek:

--- :( FrankenRuger 556 :( ---

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I'd get past the box. They specialize in guns, not boxes.

Shavings occur on firearms all the time. This is why inspection prior to purchase is important. You can either clean up the pin, order from the delightful link posted below, or get rid of that awful AR.

http://www.brownells.com/items/ar-15-firing-pin.aspx

Problem solved. That is, until you realize the front sight is canted. :eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am getting past the box until I think, why would they put 3 serial number stickers on the box???

My original lower was chewing up the buffer.

Maybe the second lower didn't pass testing with my upper and was having other issues??

Maybe the third upper they tried worked??? or they didn't find some obvious defect that was easily seen when the upper was mated to 2 other lowers.

Who knows maybe, its crapshoot quality testing. Try sets until one works.

And the bur on the firing pin, not only did they miss it the first time, but I clearly pointed it out in magnified photos and written statement on the repair sheet. What more do they need, someone to come to the tech department and do the work for them?

In my mind Ruger has dropped to the low end of quality in the AR Market.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
In my mind Ruger has dropped to the low end of quality in the AR Market.
Well, I can understand the frustration, but this rifle IS the low end of the AR market. It should be a good rifle, but it's still a budget/entry rifle. The worst of the rifle's problems have been fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm speechless. :rolleyes: (That's saying something if you know me.) Don't want to get dinged on my first weekend here....

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
That's pretty disappointing. Is the rear of the bcg smooth? I tried finding a Ruger AR locally and ended up ordering Palmetto State Armory Freedom model AR from Davidsons Gun Genie. She is sweet and runs well.
Compared to my 581 Mini 14 Tactical the fit and finish of the PSA is much better. Which is sad considering the Mini is gonna run at least $200 more otd in today's money. I've been Ruger fan for 45 years but, they need to up the QC.jmho

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Well, that settles it. Either S&W or DPMS for me.
Joe, the odds are in your favor that no matter whether you buy the Ruger, the M&P or the DPMS, you will get a rifle that you will be very happy with. Ruger makes and sells more guns every year than any other firearms company. A very small number of guns leave their factories with defects, and that number gets magnified by the fact that unlucky customers who get those guns are much more likely to go to a forum to complain than are people who are satisfied with their new guns.

My AR-556 has run perfectly through over 600 rounds of a mix of inexpensive brass cased and even more inexpensive Russian steel cased ammo. A brief search here will reveal that there are many, many other happy AR-556 owners here at Rugerforum.net.

Go to the S&W forums and you will find the same thing about the M&P Sport. I haven't checked, but I would be very surprised if most people who post about their DPMS AR's are not also really happy with them.

Now. Here's a question to think about: in the unlikely event that you did get an AR that's less than perfect, which of the three companies' customer service departments would you rather deal with?

My sense, after reading a LOT of reports over the past few years, is that Ruger is second to none. That's not to say the other brands don't have good service. Ruger's reputation is simply that theirs is best.

Again, though, all three companies make perfectly good AR15's.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Maybe its my aerospace background but I can find no excuse for having junk like that hanging from a firing pin. Good thing it didnt jam the firing pin and cause it to slam fire an entire magazine!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
1) Get over the box and labels. I'd personally be glad they sent back my original box, even if the guy accidentally did stick the wrong label on it - at least he caught it. There's no chance the scenario you described, where they tried another lower which failed, happened, simply because they wouldn't have swapped labels until the work was done. However, the tech probably had 20 baggies from lowers on his bench, and grabbed the wrong label the first time.

2) If you didn't let them know about the shavings around the firing pin when you sent it in, they were NOT obligated to look for that or fix it. Frankly, you should have pulled it off the first time you noticed it. But they'd have fixed your firing pin if you let them know about it the first time, and if they forgot, you have the liberty to send it in again - at their cost - to have it fixed. If you didn't tell them, and you told them now, if you send it back in now, they'll fix that too. Or more likely, they'd simply send you a new firing pin entirely and you can be happy about life. Really difficult to understand why you didn't remove the shaving the second you noticed it.

3) They fixed the problem you called them to fix. Pretty hard to complain about that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I feel your pain, had mine for six days. Shot forty rounds with muliple feed problems. Sent it back. It's been a month and still no rifle. I call and it's always shipping that day. This is my first Ruger and may be my last.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'm confused. Is that a loose shaving on the firing pin, or is it improperly machined metal that is attached to the pin?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
After spending time researching many guns I felt Ruger AR-556 was the best choice. I am picky with guns and like to keep them along with their boxes and all original documentation.

So I purchased a brand spanking new Ruger AR-556. On day 1 after receiving it I dismantled the gun to clean, inspect and relube it. During the process I find extra machining metal shaving on the firing pin.

--- :( FrankenRuger 556 :( ---
That's why before I put my money down to buy I always totally dissemble the weapon and inspect every nook and cranny for any defects in the manufacturing or assembly of the weapon. It has saved a few headaches over the years.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ruger Service is awesome. They fixed all the issues, fixed the buffer, fixed the firing pin.

I have multiple Ruger's, this was not my first one, it was the first Ruger I ever had issues with.

Now to why I chose the AR-556 over all the other GAS Impingement rifles. During a lot of research I determined that Ruger took the best features of all the versions of AR's and put them on this rifle.
M4 feed ramps - a must to protect and securely feed each round without damage.
6 position adjustable stock -
Medium weight barrel - accuracy was more important than the thin profile and notch for a grenade launcher.
Material used in the upper & lower receiver. Forged 7075-T6
1:8 Twist - 1:7 seemed to fast for light weight jacketed varmint bullets and 1:9 was just concerning on the heaviest 77 grain rounds.
Small diameter forearm was important as I needed a nice size objective scope for my plans to clear the scope. All varmint rifles use the small dia. To get the scope down low.
Larger trigger guard is a must as gloves are worn most of the time when hunting.
Chrome plated inside BCG - a must, this is the dirtiest part of the rifle and it is important to keep the gas rings clean.
Not an A2 flash suppressor. Evenly releases gas 360 around the end instead of shoving the barrel end down each shot.

Now, items that I am not sure of but haven't been an issue.
Front sight integrated with the gas block.
Stock would be awesome with a friction lock to remove all looseness

They just designed all the items into this rifle that I would have had to strip off of other guns and replace to make it to my liking which increases cost. The other manufacturers skimp here and there ( no dust cover, no forward assist, no rear sight, no front sight, materials of the critical parts, etc.).

Ruger has produced many of the AR 556 and there are very few complaints and if you have an issue they fix it without question. I am planning to get another one and it's gonna be a Ruger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts