Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I've got a month old AR556 that is brand new. I've been out to the range a couple times with it and none of the times has it functioned 100%. I cleaned the gun when I got it and lubed it according to a lot of posts and instructions I read. I've tried numerous brands of ammo, including my own reloads. I have not used steel cased ammo. I bought two different brand USGI mags to try along with the factory PMAG.

My issue is that it seems the rifle is short stroking. I rarely have the rifle bolt lock back on the last shot on any of the mags. Once and a great while, the stars will align and everything will work properly. I typically have an issue where the rifle will chamber a round properly when I do it first and then after that, it seems to have mis-feed problems or it just doesn't peel another round from the magazine and just goes click because no new round was chambered.

The rifle did this when it was stock and since then, I changed out the gas block with a railed style because I put a scope on the rifle and didn't want the front sight post in my view. Different gas bock, same issues. I have checked the gas rings and the slots are not lined up, so that's not the problem.

After my range trip yesterday, when the gun was acting the worst it has ever been, I was manually pulling the charging handle back and feeling how BCG was sliding. When the BCG would get 75% past ejection port, I could feel a spot that almost seemed to be "sticky" and not as smooth as the first 75% of BCG travel. Is this normal? I looked at BCG and took some real fine sandpaper (1000grit) and lightly sanded the shiny areas on BCG hoping it would fix the issues. I reassembled and it seemed to help some but not much.

Am I best off sending the rifle back to Ruger? Would a different buffer fix the problem? I read that a H or H2 buffer might help in this situation. I don't mind problem solving but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on parts to fix myself if you don't think it's something Ruger can fix.

Overall, I'm not really pleased with this rifle so far. I bought it because I read so many good reviews about it but I don't have anything good to say so far. I just want this thing to be reliable every time I want to use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm leaning towards that might be the easiest and fastest fix to the problem. It sucks to have to put my rifle back to stock setup (since I have changed out the stocks and mounted scope, gas block, etc..) but I really want a functioning rifle.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'm leaning towards that might be the easiest and fastest fix to the problem. It sucks to have to put my rifle back to stock setup (since I have changed out the stocks and mounted scope, gas block, etc..) but I really want a functioning rifle.
Ruger has excellent customer service. You deserve a 100% reliable rifle, and they will make it that way.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like the problem I was having. Mines at Ruger now. Had it for six days few times bolt didn't seenm to load back, and many FTF. Check my photo and check your feed ramps. Mine is misaligned on one side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MY feed ramps are also mis-aligned. I'm not sure how perfect they need to be but I've attached a pic. Hopefully this is the reason why the gun has been sucking and Ruger can make it into a sweet brass eating machine.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Hello Everyone,
I've got a month old AR556 that is brand new. I've been out to the range a couple times with it and none of the times has it functioned 100%. I cleaned the gun when I got it and lubed it according to a lot of posts and instructions I read. I've tried numerous brands of ammo, including my own reloads. I have not used steel cased ammo. I bought two different brand USGI mags to try along with the factory PMAG.

My issue is that it seems the rifle is short stroking. I rarely have the rifle bolt lock back on the last shot on any of the mags. Once and a great while, the stars will align and everything will work properly. I typically have an issue where the rifle will chamber a round properly when I do it first and then after that, it seems to have mis-feed problems or it just doesn't peel another round from the magazine and just goes click because no new round was chambered.

The rifle did this when it was stock and since then, I changed out the gas block with a railed style because I put a scope on the rifle and didn't want the front sight post in my view. Different gas bock, same issues. I have checked the gas rings and the slots are not lined up, so that's not the problem.

After my range trip yesterday, when the gun was acting the worst it has ever been, I was manually pulling the charging handle back and feeling how BCG was sliding. When the BCG would get 75% past ejection port, I could feel a spot that almost seemed to be "sticky" and not as smooth as the first 75% of BCG travel. Is this normal? I looked at BCG and took some real fine sandpaper (1000grit) and lightly sanded the shiny areas on BCG hoping it would fix the issues. I reassembled and it seemed to help some but not much.

Am I best off sending the rifle back to Ruger? Would a different buffer fix the problem? I read that a H or H2 buffer might help in this situation. I don't mind problem solving but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on parts to fix myself if you don't think it's something Ruger can fix.

Overall, I'm not really pleased with this rifle so far. I bought it because I read so many good reviews about it but I don't have anything good to say so far. I just want this thing to be reliable every time I want to use it.
Before you send the rifle back, check to see that the new gas block is aligned correctly, if it's the slightest bit off it will cause this issue. Also check to make sure the gas port in the barrel is not blocked with debris or carbon. If this does not solve the issue then put it back to stock and send it to Ruger.

Good luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
MY feed ramps are also mis-aligned. I'm not sure how perfect they need to be but I've attached a pic. Hopefully this is the reason why the gun has been sucking and Ruger can make it into a sweet brass eating machine.
I sent mine back to Ruger. I called and threy said it is on the work bench. Waiting for a report. My last AR the ramps were perfectly aligned and when I changed upper they were still perfectly aligned. I maybe wrong but I can't see not having feed problem with the ramps off center. When you look at my pic one ramp is perfectly aligned and the other isn't.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts