Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an AR556 pistol with the stock stabilizing brace. Because of the coming unconstitutional and illegal ban I am replacing the existing upper with a 16” M4 upper (which makes it a carbine) and need to know which adjustable stock to buy to replace the existing stabilizing brace with. Can anyone tell me what stock I need and if I need to get some kind of installation kit with it? Thanks I’m advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own an AR556 pistol with the stock stabilizing brace. Because of the coming unconstitutional and illegal ban I am replacing the existing upper with a 16” M4 upper (which makes it a carbine) and need to know which adjustable stock to buy to replace the existing stabilizing brace with. Can anyone tell me what stock I need and if I need to get some kind of installation kit with it? Thanks I’m advance.
As long as your barrel is 16 inches or longer, you can use any kind of stock or brace you wish. I like the Magpul MOE personally.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Seems a lot of folks seem certain that these braces will be banned.

Perhaps the problem is I'm an eternal optimist, but I'd be shocked if they didn't at least grandfather weapons already equipped with them.

In any case...

If your pistol brace used a standard buffer tube then you can use virtually any AR-15 stock in conjunction with a 16" barrel or longer.

Also: In some jurisdictions you can pin/weld/permanently attach a muzzle device on your less than 16" barrel and if it reaches 16" it makes it legal.

If your brace uses a proprietary buffer tube (Some KAK Blade braces do this, for example) then you need to replace the buffer tube to a standard one and possible the spring/hardware.

If you change the length of the barrel you may also want to consider changing the buffer tube or springs, although this may not be necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems a lot of folks seem certain that these braces will be banned.

Perhaps the problem is I'm an eternal optimist, but I'd be shocked if they didn't at least grandfather weapons already equipped with them.

In any case...

If your pistol brace used a standard buffer tube then you can use virtually any AR-15 stock in conjunction with a 16" barrel or longer.

Also: In some jurisdictions you can pin/weld/permanently attach a muzzle device on your less than 16" barrel and if it reaches 16" it makes it legal.

If your brace uses a proprietary buffer tube (Some KAK Blade braces do this, for example) then you need to replace the buffer tube to a standard one and possible the spring/hardware.

If you change the length of the barrel you may also want to consider changing the buffer tube or springs, although this may not be necessary.
I talked to the local ATF guy, who thinks this new rule is stupid, and he’s sure it’s going into effect soon. I don’t want to pay $200 for a stamp, or go to all of the trouble involved in registering a weapon, so I’m just going turn it into something that doesn’t require registration and is legal. In the event that the illegal and unconstitutional ban doesn’t go through, I’ll just buy an AR lower and have another AR. But I’m damned if I’m going to fill out ATF licensing paperwork for a gun I bought legally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m converting it into something else, not dismantling it. My brother-in-law has already had an unpleasant visit from the illegal ATF over nothing. I’m not going to pay those people a fee or go through any registration procedure. If the courts or the House slaps them down (the courts should certainly do so under Bruen; if the other conservatives would have backed Gorsuch recently SCOTUS could have overturned the Chevron deference and done away with rogue agencies unconstitutionally making their own laws once and for all) then I’ll buy a new lower (the money involved in all of this trivial) and have a pistol and a carbine. This is called being flexible snd prepared. I’m sorry you don’t like it; it’s who I am and what I do.

But I didn’t come here to discuss gun politics, I came here to ask a technical question about which adjustable stock(s) I could put on my AR556 lower, and nobody here seems to know the answer. Speaking as someone who owns a number of Rugers and has been shooting for over sixty years, that’s disappointing.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Put a Magpul CTR stock on it. Confirm your buffer tube diameter first. There are two differne diameters. Commercial tubes are .020 larger than Milspec. Milspec is 1.148 diameter. If yours is MILSPEC, you're good to go with the CTR stock.

Personally, I'm waiting until April to make any changes. After the new rule drops in December, we have until April before it takes effect. Anything can happen between now and then.

·
Registered
801 Posts
But I didn’t come here to discuss gun politics, I came here to ask a technical question about which adjustable stock(s) I could put on my AR556 lower, and nobody here seems to know the answer. Speaking as someone who owns a number of Rugers and has been shooting for over sixty years, that’s disappointing.
Respectfully, I provided you an answer.

Standard buffer tube = put on any stock you please.

Proprietary buffer tube = switch out the tube to a standard buffer tube, put on any stock you please.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
And nobody here knows which of the two it is? I have no tool capable of measuring the diameter. If no one here knows the answer, I will have no idea about what adjustable stock to buy.
I'll measure mine later today and post here, but i suspect it is MILSPEC.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
There are so many thoughts that cannot be written as they can and will be used against all of us. So many in fact, telling the forner ussr from the current usa is tough. You really have to look hard to find freedoms shining light.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious about which way the law is on lowers being switched from pistol to rifle or rifle to pistol. I believe one is illegal but don't remember which. It's a moot point if the 4473 was for just a lower because nobody is going to know. But if the 4473 was for a rifle or pistol there's a paper trail.

Good thread because I was thinking about getting into 300BO with a brace in kit form and this will help me with my decisions on what to buy.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts