Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, folks. I've been shooting my AR556 with irons for a while now, and I'm ready to see how we'll do with a scope. I have a Leopold VX-1 that I'm going to mount. It's a 2-7X32. What would be a good set of rings? I don't want to mount it higher than I have to, but am concerned about the front sight being in the way. Thoughts? Thanks!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Lots of mounts designed for the AR, you will need a high rise.. I have the Nikon p-series mount, they also have a nicer m-Series mount. The scope will be higher but it will look like the front sight would still be in the way but with the magnification from the scope you won't even see it.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've personally never been a fan of the front sight post. If I had an AR-556 the first thing I'd do is delete the front sight post, and use a different gas block. Then mount some flip up sights. You'd still be able to co-witness when you needed to. I really like the Nikkon ar scope mounts they're very slim, and durable. They run around 80.00.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have quite a few scoped AR's, if you want a one piece that works well and is solid, I've found the CCOP mount on Amazon is a really well made mount.

Other than that I use the P22 mounts, and the Burris PERP. On lower magnification I can detect a bit of a ghost of the FSP, but it's not too bad, and higher magnification and it seems to disappear. On the two AR's with an FSP, I wanted it completely eliminated this ghost with the FSP so I went with a set of Truglo 1/2" risers, doing this also required me to use a 1/2" riser for my cheek rest (went with the RISR from Larue mounted on the CTR stock).

As for co-witness and a scope, that's just not possible R2BA...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When I scope an AR I usually remove the front sight. Flip up sights work well if your scope dies and I can get a better cheek weld with a lower scope.

But every one is different and you may do well with higher mounts. Either way, there are a million choices out there and most work well.

Jeff

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,687 Posts
awpeeler, I suspect some of the responders haven't scoped a AR556. Yes, the shark fin front sight does get in the way. The second issue is "cheek weld". The buffer tube (holds the stock in place) does not work well with a low scope mount ... you just can't get a low cheek weld. So in order to see through the scope, you must use high rings. I tried everything before I finally succumbed to buying a set of 1" tall UGT rings. The rings worked well ... got excellent eye relief and a natural eye alignment with the scope. Problem was ... the silly front sight took out the bottom third of the view. I then bought a low profile gas block and everything worked out just fine. I can use an aftermarket pop-up front sight and the factory pop-up rear sight if the scope dies. Meantime, I'm as happy as a clam with my configuration.

I've posted this picture several times so people are probably tired of seeing it ... none the less, here it is again:

·
Registered
936 Posts

This is one with the p22 Nikon mounts, truglo 1/2" risers and the Larue cheek rest on the CTR. The 1/2" risers eliminate the ghosting of the front post at low magnification.

Be aware that the P22 mounts slide on your receiver from one end, that's ok unless you want to take it off easily. The Truglo's allow it to be removed without having to remove the scope from the p22 mounts in order to slide them off.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
822 Posts
I'm aware that it looks backwards and too far back, but I really like my UTG miunt. Got it off fleabay...

Pretty solid and a decent lockup for a QD mount. However, to get over the BUIS, I had to add a couple of 3/4" risers.

Aqualung

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replys! I ordered a Burris PEPR with QD mounts from Midway last night, should be here Friday. I'm loving my AR556! It'll be interesting shooting with the scope for a change. My eyes have a time with the irons. I'm going to check out a bud's Aimpoint sighted weapon this weekend, too, to see if I like the red dot route, too. It's too easy to spend money on this new hobby, but I'm diggin' it!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Weaver makes a good tactical mount.

I also REALLY like the Burris PEPR mount and the Nikon mounts. All can be had for under $100 and are pretty darn good. :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a warne one piece scope mounts on my SR556 or Leopold makes a good one.I like the one piece mounts over the rings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts