Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get either an AR15 or an AK47 for quite a while. A few days ago I sold a 20 gauge that had just been taking up space in my safe. That gave me the good excuse for picking up a new gun.

After the sale/transfer I stopped at my indoor range and rented a WASR 10 and a Ruger AR556. I put 20 rounds thru each to help me decide which way to go.

I enjoyed shooting both other than the fact the AK blew my "ears" off after each shot. Just couldn't find a comfortable stock hold with my check and shoulder and my ear muffs.

I was shooting at paper targets...20 shots each at 25 yards standing, freehand. The score for each gun was exactly the same...a 185 out of a possible 200. (I might add here that this was my first time to ever shoot an AR or an AK) I had the same score, but the groups were certainly better with the AR. I did like the trigger on the AK better.

For several reasons, not the least of which is I LIKE RUGERS, I decided to go with the AR format and got a nice deal on a new one today. ($565 + tax)

I went back to the range tonight and put 10 .223 and 10 .556 thru it right out of the box. I think I'm going to like this gun! I'm looking forward to getting to my outdoor range to shoot some 50, 75 and 100 yard distances.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Congrats on your new rifle. You would not have gone wrong by choosing either one, but the AR-556 will not disappoint you.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Don't see how you could go wrong with either gun. Congrats on the new Ruger

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Thank God you bought one.

I thought we were going to see yet another episode of the infamous AR vs. AK argument.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Congrats!
Can't go wrong with the Ruger.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Oh, come on! The winner is both! :p

Congratulations on the new AR. It's a wonderful money whole that keeps on demanding new add-ons and brethren. :D It's all good.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I like the ergo's better with the AR, and they are much more versatile ( modular). But AK's have come a long way, you can get a longer stock than the too short commie ones, and railed handguards for optics. Still, the triggers and iron sights kinda suck. I do like the 7.62x39 round, better for deer ( or anti personnel) while the 5.56mm is more of a prairie dog / coyote round. The lower recoil and flatter trajectory, and great out of the box accuracy of the 5.56mm makes hits easier though, and hits are what counts.
I still have an AR. I wish I still had my Romanian AKM, but like the ergonomics of my two Mini-30's better than the AKM.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Forget the AK, get a Ruger Mini 30! Congrats on the AR though. I still prefer a piston driven gun myself and that SR version Ruger makes is dang expensive! This thread needs photos also!

·
Registered
65 Posts
This old jarhead approves of your choice...though maybe down the road you might add an AK to the collection ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got to take my AR 556 to my outdoor range today and shot a box (20) at a paper target at 100 yards. I was happy...here's the first shot. Worth walking the 100 yards back and forth to verify :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and here's how the rest of the box went...

100 yards, free hand, iron sights, shooting a 12" target

I really like this rifle!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
There's two ways to look at it.....but the AR556 is a great choice:)

A solid AR made by Ruger is like winning twice, a great rifle from a great American gun maker.

I don't have an AR556 but have several AR type rifles. They are not as "fragile" as some may think, in fact I've seen M16's and M4's take a lot of abuse. My "zombie" rifle is a Colt SP1 "slab side" upper I built up on a Nodak lower, with an old Redfield 2-6" scope on it. It eats Wolf, it's worked when dirty at the range, it's as good as any AK as long as I use good mags in it. Bad mags will choke an AK too.

I also had a WASR10 Romanian AK..........comparing those to the high-dollar milled receiver AK's made in the US is like apples vs. oranges, these new $1,000+ "AK's" aren't even AK type rifles anymore, they've gone so far beyond the original concept. We now have AK's that shoot like AR's, with all the "AK" type cool factor but better ergonomics. The "real" AK's, when you field strip them, they're so cheap and basic in the action you wonder how the hell these things don't break when they fire.

As a "middle ground" all the Yugo - Zastava type AK's are WAY better than any of the cheapo ones and aren't priced too bad. I refuse to pay above $600 for an AK, it defeats the whole purpose. Com Bloc guns are supposed to be low cost, it's how they were designed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts