Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my AR556 out for the first time today. I left the factory supplied magazine at home. I tried 3 different brand AR magazines which worked fine in other ARs at the range today and none locked into place. Anyone else experiencing this? I have no need for an AR that doesn't take all AR magazines.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Check the width of the mag well to see if it's within spec. I agree. It's useless if it can't take all AR mags (within reason).

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
1. Was the bolt open or closed when you were unable to seat the magazines?

2. Does the Magpul mag that came with your rifle work in your rifle? With ammo in it?

3. Were any of the magazines at the range that didn't work also Magpuls?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Was the bolt open or closed when you were unable to seat the magazines?

2. Does the Magpul mag that came with your rifle work in your rifle? With ammo in it?

3. Were any of the magazines at the range that didn't work also Magpuls?
Tried it with bolt open and closed. I didn't run any rounds through the Magpul that came with it, but it seats. None of the other mags at the range were Magpul.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I just got curious and put the factory mag in and tried to manually cycle rounds. It won't take a round out of the magazine unless I put pressure on the bottom of the mag. Looks like I got a lemon. Back to Ruger it goes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 4 magpul 30 rd g2 magpul pmags, 2 g3 30 rd magpul pmags, 4 g3 20rd magpul pmags, and 10 GI issue aluminum mags with green followers. All of these fit and function flawlessly in my Ruger AR556

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Well, your magazine catch isn't working properly. It's only three parts, a spring, the release button (left side) and the catch (right side).

1. The most likely problem is that the catch isn't screwed all the way into the release button. That's really simple to fix.

Less likely, and more involved to fix?

2. The magazine catch is defective. Part would need to be replaced.

3. Holes in receiver for magazine catch and release are drilled in wrong place. Pretty darn unlikely.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Like Ditto said, probably the mag catch, but separate the upper and lower (or at least pull the rear pin) and try to seat the magazine in the lower only. If it will seat in the lower only, put the lower and upper back together and look up through the mag well and see if the upper is protruding into the mag well.... it is possible for the upper or lower to be out of spec. I have had an out of spec lower before that caused magazine seating and releasing issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Like Ditto said, probably the mag catch, but separate the upper and lower (or at least pull the rear pin) and try to seat the magazine in the lower only. If it will seat in the lower only, put the lower and upper back together and look up through the mag well and see if the upper is protruding into the mag well.... it is possible for the upper or lower to be out of spec. I have had an out of spec lower before that caused magazine seating and releasing issues.
We did separate them and the mags would seat in the lower, but when we tried to close the gun, the mag would hit the upper and not allow it to close.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hmmm... sounds like cyphertext hit the nail on the head. Depending on where you bought your rifle, the dealer may take care of it for you. Otherwise, call Ruger, and they will get a shipping label out to you.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My AR556 accepts my standard USGI metal magazine, the Magpul G2 magazines (don't have any G3's) in both 30 and 20 rounds. and plastic magazine made by MSAR (came with my AA-15).

I have seen a situation where a mag release wasn't lubed and the button stuck in, don't remember which model, and of course when this happens, the magazine has nothing to retain it once inserted.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
To add to my last comment, I think if I had an AR I built myself, or even one from a really small manufacturer, I'd look at the insides of the upper and lower receivers. It could be as simple as taking a little sandpaper or a small file and removing a bit of "flash" from the inside of the upper that's causing the magazines to not want to go in far enough.

Since it's brand new, I'd try to get the dealer to give me a new rifle. If that's not an option, I'd go ahead and send it back to Ruger.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My AR556 works fine with all mags except a ProMag that pretty much all of my ARs have problems with. As far as magazine catch, it may B working fine and just need the mags slammed home for a few dozen times to work the kinks out.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Interesting. This I guess proves the suggestion I've seen before that Ruger isn't test firing the AR556 before shipping them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Interesting. This I guess proves the suggestion I've seen before that Ruger isn't test firing the AR556 before shipping them.
I HIGHLY doubt they are shipping off ANY firearm without test firing. Any manufacturer would be stupid to do that as these are life saving tools...

All my brand new Ruger firearms have been filthy when I purchased them. I can say without a doubt mine have been test fired and with possibly the dirtiest ammo known to mankind...

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I HIGHLY doubt they are shipping off ANY firearm without test firing. Any manufacturer would be stupid to do that as these are life saving tools...

All my brand new Ruger firearms have been filthy when I purchased them. I can say without a doubt mine have been test fired and with possibly the dirtiest ammo known to mankind...
I bought a new 22/45 lite that was improperly assembled out of the shipping sleeve. No way no how that pistol was fired at the factory, because it did NOT function

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
My AR is a Bushmaster and it does not work well at all with magazines from CAA but works very well with PMags.
The CAA mags resulted in near constant misfeed until modified them in a couple ways.
Another issue that I have seen is when I started reloading with powder charges that were a bit weak for my rifle and resulted in short stroking which also resulted in a misfeed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called today and got return authorization. Before I did that, I tinkered with the rifle one more time. Today the factory magazine seated positively AND fed ammo, but it seated intermittently. I even took a vid of me trying repeatedly to get it to seat without success, then it would seat for no apparent reason. I still can't get my D&H mags to seat. Do any of you have mags like the D&H that work? We tried two others like it at the range that wouldn't seat. The pic shows some differences in the factory magpul and the milspec D&H

1 - 20 of 63 Posts