Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.... first post and probably a lame question.

I want to build a custom 10/22 and use a Ruger receiver. The question is with all the different models of 10/22 they make, are the receivers the same?

There is a 10/22 compact very low round count for sale close to me for an ok price that I may grab and use the receiver out of it. This is going to be a work in progress thing... :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, yes. Even my Charger uses the same receiver and action. Only difference I've seen on the new stuff and the old vintage 10/22s is the paint job, now a kind of flaky texture to the older smooth texture paint job.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello all.... first post and probably a lame question.

I want to build a custom 10/22 and use a Ruger receiver. The question is with all the different models of 10/22 they make, are the receivers the same?

There is a 10/22 compact very low round count for sale close to me for an ok price that I may grab and use the receiver out of it. This is going to be a work in progress thing... :)

Thanks!
If you mean interchangeable ... then yes, absolutely, they are the same. If you mean mechanically identical, then NO, the are not the same. Ruger uses the same stock receiver in pretty much anything that has the 10/22 brand on it.

The mechanical tolerances, because of cost and scale of production will vary however ... by a considerable amount too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, yes. Even my Charger uses the same receiver and action. Only difference I've seen on the new stuff and the old vintage 10/22s is the paint job, now a kind of flaky texture to the older smooth texture paint job.
^^ North country gal is correct ^^

and welcome to the forum kk5fe :)

TK

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Welcome from California's High Desert and to the Forum. Has the above messages answered your question?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ruger stopped using the flaky "crinkle coat" finish a couple of years ago. They're back to using cheap-looking black paint that looks like it came out of a can of Krylon. I really miss the good ol' days when they were an anodized finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello and thanks for all the input! I kinda sorta thought they may be the same, but wanted to make sure.

Like I said, this is going to be a work in progress for sure. Its going to be for fun mostly. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hmmm...

I don't think so. My wife accidently threw out an old rimfire magazine that had a lot of great information on Ruger rimfires.

If I remember correctly, the target models receiver is considered a match grade receiver and doesn't work equally well with all types of .22 lr ammo. Also the TD receiver appears to be different from the other models.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure that the receivers are the same.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
The earlier ones seemed to have a better finish and IMHO shot better as well i have a 1979 vintage 10/22 with a high grade wooden stock with no barrel band....its an old friend and i haven't even seen a heavy barrel model out shoot it ....its a tackholer and accounted for literally hundreds of critters....i love it.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I don't think so. My wife accidently threw out an old rimfire magazine that had a lot of great information on Ruger rimfires.

If I remember correctly, the target models receiver is considered a match grade receiver and doesn't work equally well with all types of .22 lr ammo. Also the TD receiver appears to be different from the other models.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure that the receivers are the same.

With the exception of the TD models, they're all the same receiver. The receiver would have no bearing on what .22lr ammo would work in it.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Ruger stopped using the flaky "crinkle coat" finish a couple of years ago. They're back to using cheap-looking black paint that looks like it came out of a can of Krylon. I really miss the good ol' days when they were an anodized finish.
Wow! You mean they've gotten even worse? That's sad. I'm grateful I have my two vintage 10/22s.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have had my 10/22 for about 4 months now...I haven't had any issues with it, being a newer generation. When it was stock it shot well with no malfunctions. Only thing I didn't like was the stock trigger setup being too stiff. Other than that reliability was not an issue for me.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I love the older vintage 10/22's but the newer ones are also great. It all depends on what you want to do with them. Someone mentioned a target being differant but its not the receiver that is differant its the barrel.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The new 1022 Ruger sent me... the finish is pretty terrible. Just taking the receiver screw plugs out caused some peeling... Like they put the finish on over the screws or something? I can't describe it. The 1022 Compact I originally purchased did not have such crappy finish.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
The new 1022 Ruger sent me... the finish is pretty terrible. Just taking the receiver screw plugs out caused some peeling... Like they put the finish on over the screws or something? I can't describe it. The 1022 Compact I originally purchased did not have such crappy finish.
I must walk into the stores on the right days cause I never get guns like that from Ruger or anyone else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The bolt on the target model is different. Its polished on the charging handle side. Not sure if the bolt is different other than that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts