Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer ordered one for me from his distributor slightly over a month ago and no word on it yet. I assume these are in high demand and Gunbroker is going crazy on the ones selling there, retail + 20%

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ruger can be really slooooow getting new products out, unless your dealer is one of their favorites and kisses butt or orders a lot. It took me something like 4-5 months after release to get a SR1911 Lightweight Commander.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There is a thread over on Sniper's Hide where some have been posting where they find them. Usually they are making dozens of calls to different shops to track them down. At the shop where I got mine, they stopped taking orders and are quoting a year lead time.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We have had two where I work, both in 6.5 Creedmore. Neither stayed there long. Of course most everybody wants the .308 and we have not got one of those yet.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I suspect Ruger has slowed down production a bit to address some minor QC issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a 6.5 on order from my gun dealer for just a couple of weeks. Got one guy ahead of me. Figured it's gonna be a bit of a wait. Gives me some time to think about optics though!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been waiting 6 weeks!

Tell me about it . . . .

I ordered (and paid for) an RPR in 6.5 CM the day after they were announced. LGS (GT Distributors, which is not a small operation) said that per their communications with Ruger when they placed their order, I should have it in two weeks.

That was over six weeks ago . . .

Latest word was that they were finally supposed to be receiving their first shipment of RPR's this week, but that Ruger had only allocated them *one* in 6.5 CM. Of course, somehow someone else got ahead of me on the list, so I'm SOL for now, and they have no idea when mine will come in.:mad:

C'mon Ruger, at least tell us what the holdup is!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I ordered (and paid) for a 6.5 on 7/25 (Turner's) . I was told 2-4 months. Who knows.... I've picked up everything I'll need for it, even started loading ammo. I hope they (Ruger) do iron out the problems that have come up but, from what I've read, they're all pretty minor.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The problems are with handguards(minor).......but the other is the barrels, NOT minor. They are not shooting well without scrubbing the bores a LOT and also once the barrels get any heat in them, they open up the groups pretty bad.

At least that's the word over on the "Hide" and we have a couple local guys here experiencing the same thing. Local smith to me, who does all my work, who is also a long range competitor has already rebarreled two. One his and one a customers. And from what they say on the "Hide" that shop on there a lot........the name escapes me at the moment, has a waiting list for rebarrel jobs. Not a good sign this early.

Just came to me..........Patriot Valley Arms is the one doing a lot of rebarrels

Zoti on the board here posted a nice 3 shot group on a new gun..........but has said nothing else. So wonder if his is showing the same signs once it gets hot

·
Banned
650 Posts
There are a bunch of RPR on Gunbroker. The RPR is a lot like 22lr ammo. Dealers only get a few of them. They don't want to make their regular customers mad but they want to make what they can on the couple rifles they get. So they put the rifles on Gunbroker and sell them to someone out of town. One dealer had a RPR on Gunbroker and he was willing to finance the rifle for $104 a month.

Everyone has the picture now. Unless you have deep pockets and buy a lot of guns you are not going to see a RPR locally. LGS owners are sitting there telling their regular customers they wish they could get a RPR when they have a couple of them listed on Gunbroker. Most of the RPR I am seeing are chambered in 243 and 308. They are going for around $1,400. If you are that guy who has plenty of cash and has to have the newest guns first you can get an RPR.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My local gun shop has had one for two weeks now, just sitting on the shelf. It's in .308 and I've been drooling over it but, I just landed my SR 762 a week ago and the gunsmith made it Massachusetts compliant. So, my finances are at a "seasonal" low for now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Because they are not shooting well is the reason.
My point being back to Ruger and if that does not solve the problem go another direction. There is nothing so special about this rifle format to require unflagging devotion IMO. To jump in there and rebarrel so quickly is still a mystery as to why anyone would do that right away. The ink on the press announcement for this rifle is not even dry yet and shooters are rebarrelling due to dissatisfaction. Makes me wonder about the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My point being back to Ruger and if that does not solve the problem go another direction. There is nothing so special about this rifle format to require unflagging devotion IMO. To jump in there and rebarrel so quickly is still a mystery as to why anyone would do that right away. The ink on the press announcement for this rifle is not even dry yet and shooters are rebarrelling due to dissatisfaction. Makes me wonder about the whole thing.
It's very common for people to rebarrel brand new rifles. Take the Rem 700 for instance. Some buy the cheapest 700 they can find, strip it down to the receiver and rebuild the entire rifle off of that.

When I bought my RAR 243, I bought it with the possibility of rebarreling in mind. So did many other people, and they did. Ruger caught on to this and now we have the RAP. Now I don't have to go through the trouble. I'll just sell my fine accurate RAR to a hunter and buy a RAP.

As far as purpose built precision rifles are concerned, the RPR is at the low end of the precision market. It is an entry level rig offered at an entry level price. At $950.00, throwing an additional $300.00 (or more) at the rifle for a better barrel is not a sin.

Compared to Barrett's $3,600.00 98B 6.5CM, Spending $950 plus an additional five or six hundred dollars on upgrades is still a bargain. For the DIY crowd, the RPR is an excellent foundation to build off of. I do not think that rebarreling is a sign of poor quality, in spite of some non critical QC issues they have been having with the new model. I take it as a sign that Ruger produced a good rifle to enter precision shooting with and a customizable platform to build off of.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Some are still overlooking the fact that this rifle was designed to compete in a certain type shooting series, for a low cost intro price. So if you bought one with that in mind and in your testing and load development, you find the accuracy is not there.........you rebarrel it. NOT an uncommon thing, for a rifle to be used in competition. So, even if you buy this $1000 rifle and have to put a $400 barrel on it, in the grand scheme of things you are still in a decent competition rifle for around $1500, minus glass. That's not bad.

Not sure why you find it hard to understand. Guys rebarrel brand new rifles all the time, because you KNOW as a competitive shooter, the factory barrel is NOT going to get it done............none do.

Here is the way I look at it. You buy the Ruger for $1000. MAYBE you get one of the better shooting ones, but probably not. So you rebarrel it and you have $1500 in your rifle. And lets say you bought a Sendero for $1200. The barrel on the Sendero is probably not going to pass the mustard either.......but it also doesn't come with the nice tactical folding stock, AR handguards, ability to take detachable mags etc. You make all those changes to the Sendero, you are in pretty deep. Same story for the Savage LRP or similar. The Ruger is STILL a good deal, even if the barrel is junk, for this type shooting.

I know my smith was EXPECTING to have to change the barrel when he bought his...........but he gave it a good chance, beforehand.

I have seen three of the rifles and shot one. The barrel contour seems too light to me, across the board and most all have reported increased spreads with heat. So heavier will help that. The rifling and chambers on every one I looked at was VERY rough. Again, not uncommon for hammer forged factory barrels, that are mass produced. The rifle I shot, grouped fairly well, until we got to the 3rd 5 shot string and had actually started a little at the end of second. It wasn't "stringing"...........it just opened up the groupings to around 1.75.............NOT gonna cut it for a competition rifle, that the ranges get longer as you go

1 - 19 of 19 Posts