Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nice 50th anniversary 10/22 with laminated stock today, and it has a UTG cantilever rail on it. Used the factory mounting points on the receiver, and goes about 3/4 of the way down the stock. Seems steady enough where it mounts on the receiver, but further down towards the end of the mount it can wiggle a bit.

Not sure why you would need a rail that long, if it helps stiffen the chassis or something...

Any ideas on this rail? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If it were mine I'd saw off the excess right at the barrel/receiver line. The forward part of that rail seems just "tacticool" cosmetic and of no use on a 10/22.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were mine I'd saw off the excess right at the barrel/receiver line. The forward part of that rail seems just "tacticool" cosmetic and of no use on a 10/22.
I actually had the same thought. That part is wiggles anyway. Crappy thing is, this used a standard Picatinny style setup, so my 4x scope won’t work because it’s a weaver rail - so I need new rings or new mount. I would swap the mount off my takedown, but I tried getting it off last night, and I think I may have loctited it on 😞

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
I am sure they thought Loctite would help with the wiggle.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Weaver rings will work perfectly on a Picatinny rail. Not all Picatinny rings will work on a Weaver rail but some will.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weaver rings will work perfectly on a Picatinny rail. Not all Picatinny rings will work on a Weaver rail but some will.
Maybe I misspoke then... The rings I have are set up for a 3/8" dovetail rail. Like a Marlin 60, or the smaller groove in the factory 10/22 rail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked really hard at the rail this morning, and as it sits bolted on the rifle, it is canted to the right towards the end of the rail,and it makes the iron sights look way off... It actually looks like the PO drifted the rear sight over to fit centered in the rail. So it's coming off.. Garbage. I will have to get to the range and try to tweak the factory rear sight or better yet, just order some better ones maybe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts