Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any funky new cartridges out there that manufacturers are trying to push that I should stay away from? For example, I saw someone with a 10mm, but since I don't know much, I had reservations. I don't really want the weapon or anything, but it made me think. Are there "fad" cartridges we should stay away from? I'd hate to invest in a gun and it be useless or very expensive to use (or reload).

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I’m not sure how one would classify a “fad” cartridge……one that’s been around 10 years, or one that’s been around 5 years? Maybe it’s less than 5 years, maybe it’s 2 years. My advice is to stick with the ones that have proven themself over time, such as the .30-30, .30-06, 7 Mag or the .22-250, the list is long. If you plan on reloading I’d stay away from the Magnums the heavy .30 calibers and above. They eats a lot of powder. JMO

·
Corps Commander NGV
8,812 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You're smart to ask as a new shooter. The times we are in politically and economically make it wise to consider the question. You need to decide what you need to shoot. Paper, steel, varmints, predators ( 2 or 4 legged), small-medium-large-dangerous game...different calibers for different targets. What platform do you intend to shoot? Pistol or rifle? Revolver, semiautomatic, bolt action, lever action or other? Some cartridges are limited to certain actions. Cost and availability are real concerns. Gun and ammo manufacturers are always introduced new cartridges because they want to capture their share of the revenue from those wanting the newest and best. The magazines and reviewers on the web are sponsored or sell ad space to the manufacturers so they tend to be very "positive " about new releases. There are few really new things in the cartridge world. Most niches are pretty well filled with calibers that work. I recommend this:
Choose the caliber you can afford to shoot that will get the job done.
Look at what is in stock at local stores.
Calibers our military uses will likely be cheaper and more available than others.
Try before you buy.Shoot it first.
Old isn't bad. The 9mm, .45acp, and. 357mag, .270, .30-06, and .45-70 have been around a long time for a reason.
If you must have a .24 Valkyrie, .28 Nosler, .30 ARC or .30 Super Carry be sure to stock up on reloading equipment and components while they are available. Just ask anyone who owns a 6.5 Rem Mag, .307 Winchester, or .450 Marlin.

·
Registered
15,762 Posts
@JohnnyDollar ... i'm offended :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ... someone's fad might just be someone's new found love. I was criticized many times and laughed at many times more for getting into the 327 federal mag caliber. I still may be in the minority but i'm loving it, shooting and reloading for it. I guess to the OP's question, you really need to evaluate your own personal position on new calibers, as far as buy factory loads or dealing with reloading for it.

·
Registered
Ruger .44 Carbine, Security-Six, Service-Six, Mini-14, .30 Carbine Blackhawk
1,720 Posts
If you must have a .24 Valkyrie, .28 Nosler, .30 ARC or .30 Super Carry be sure to stock up on reloading equipment and components while they are available. Just ask anyone who owns a 6.5 Rem Mag, .307 Winchester, or .450 Marlin.
Now I'm offended....
I want .24 Valkyrie because,
well......... Valkyrie

:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What about the 6.5? I see a lot of these rifles in the store now. I never heard of it until lately. Again, though, it might have been around 100 years, so no offence. I saw y'all referenced 6.5, so I thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
@JohnnyDollar ... i'm offended :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ... someone's fad might just be someone's new found love. I was criticized many times and laughed at many times more for getting into the 327 federal mag caliber. I still may be in the minority but i'm loving it, shooting and reloading for it. I guess to the OP's question, you really need to evaluate your own personal position on new calibers, as far as buy factory loads or dealing with reloading for it.
exactly, I got offended myself....

• Haha
Reactions: rmichael63

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What about the 6.5? I see a lot of these rifles in the store now. I never heard of it until lately. Again, though, it might have been around 100 years, so no offence. I saw y'all referenced 6.5, so I thought I'd ask.
I have hunting friends that have it and I thought it came out of nowhere as well.....
it's now listed as one of the most popular calibers for new hunting rifles.
I read it's more powerful than .308 and has a flatter trajectory.

Reactions: caliber

·
Registered
168 Posts
I only have 1 feeling left so I'm very rarely offended. My first rifle was a Winchester 94 in 32 special, so I've been dealing with oddball from the git. I agree that if it makes you happy and you understand the care and feeding requirements get it.
I was all about getting a Valkerie, suddenly stag discontinued it and replaced with 6mm arc. Wasn't interested in that. I'm a south paw so that's the stag connection.

·
Registered
799 Posts
What about the 32 H&R Magnum it might be a little outdated but still awesome. (y)(y)(y)

·
Super Moderator
6,644 Posts
I am not the one to ask. I have some wildcats, some proprietary, some old, and some obscure cartridges.
But if you are a shooter that is concerned about that kind of thing and don’t want to get into stupid bidding wars for obscure brass on gunbroker, buy one of the tried and true cartridges.
A couple thoughts on this. First, with all the cartridges out there, the dirty secret is that for most applications, within the appropriate class of cartridge for your purpose, what cartridge you shoot doesn’t matter. The bullet makes a bigger difference than the cartridge pushing the bullet. Second, before someone goes venturing out into the new and exciting cartridges, a shooter needs an old, proven, commonly available cartridge such as a .30-06, 7mm rem mag, .308, you get the idea. Buy one of these tried and true performers that has phone books worth of load data, huge variety of factory offerings, and most importantly, ammo is available everywhere. When I travel to hunt, I still take my old trusty .30-06 as my backup rifle. There is something to say about a backup rifle that has taken every animal on earth (not necessarily recommended but it has been done) and every back woods general store that sells ammo will have ammo if I need it.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You need to differentiate between calibers and cartridges.
Case in point 6.5 is a caliber (0.264"), It has been used in rifles for well over 100 years but a 6.5x55 cartridge is not the same as a 6.5 Remington Mag, nor a 6.5 Creedmore (which is probably what you will see most often in new 6.5mm rifle sales).
.30 Carbine, 300 Savage, 30-30 (or 30wcf), 300 Blackout, .308 win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby are all reasonably popular .30 caliber rifle cartridges, they all use the same diameter bullets but the cartridges do not interchange and they encompass a wide variety of bullet weights and types.

Bruce

·
Registered
245 Posts
For now, just find firearms in the most common calibers that serve the purposes you plan on using them for.

Probably 9mm in handguns and 5.56mm or 7.62mm in rifle. Stick with those for now and you'll be fine for most activities.

As you branch out into more specialized or esoteric things, that's time to consider the more rare and specifically designed calibers. Make sure there is a very good reason before you select something that is hard to acquire ammunition for. for example, for a silenced rifle, .300 Blackout is a candidate. For a silenced target pistol, .45acp might be a choice, especially if you want to try a M1911a1 single action firearm.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I wish people would differentiate between caliber and cartridge. As FireEscape eloquently pointed out.
Some fad cartridges have staying power, I present the 10mm auto! Some old cartridges are written off only to remain popular for many more decades, re: 45 AP.
I say get what you want to serve your purpose.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts