Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All... I need suggestions about getting attention from ruger support folks. I bought a SBH 44Mag Bisley just after Christmas (that's Christmas of 2007 - a few months ago). After about 300 rounds (factory) the ejector housing screw sheered off. It happened while shooting with a friend who was using a S&W 629 and I had told him minutes earlier about why I selected the ruger over the Smith. Fred asked me again why I bought the ruger as I was poking the rounds out of my wheel with a 16p nail.

I called ruger, got shipping authority, ran all over town looking for a carrier (ON THEIR SUGGESTED LIST) who would actually ship the piece. Bingo on the 4th stop!!!!!! A few days later I called ruger to make sure the gun was there, and ask about timing. No humans work at ruger... left message, ditto, ditto. Two days ago the one human answered the phone WHEN I CALLED and said, "yes the gun is here, been here nearly a month and she will look at status." She was very nice, but not able to help. After looking at her computer she told me they haven't opened the package yet. I remained calm, but she could sense my frustration and said they had many folks out with the flu. I asked how many people were out sick in the GUN SELLING DEPARTMENT. I asked about timing. She said 3 to 6 weeks after they open the package. Maybe she meant they will open the package in 6 wks. She promised someone will call very soon,,, they haven't!!!

I'm wanting to buy a 22 cal auto pistol. WILL IT BE A RUGER???

IS RUGER A FIREARMS SELLING COMPANY ONLY??? Sure looks that way.
(Got to travel next week,,, wife here though to answer the phone)

moose

·
Registered
220 Posts
That screw is an easy one to either strip or shear. I have replaced many of them already, on mine and other peoples BH's. As far as Ruger service is concerned though, my dealings have always been top-notch. Don't forget though that right now they are going through a major recall on all previously built and distributed SR9's. I sure hope that this won't turn you off on their fine firearms, they do make some of the best in my opinion. As far as the .22 auto, I have 4 of the MK series, and think that they are great.

FWIW

JJ

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
ruger is in a bit of dificulty at the moment.
The "good" dificulty is the little 380 where everyone is working their tails off to get them out the door.
The bad dificulty is the sr-9 and its related problems.

Ruger it appears has drastically increased their firearm sales by the introduction of these two models so more handguns are probably leaving the factory than ever before. The bad news is that with increased volume of sales, there will be a poportionate amount of returns for service. At this time probably a dis-aportionate amount with the sr9/recall. Perhaps the repair dept is swamped by the numbers game. Or perhaps for any other number of reasons such as reduced parts inventory(that ruger was working on) etc.

Ruger 22 pistols have always bee top notch so there should be nothing to fear there. One can also choose to go with a dealer under Davidsons at www.galleryofguns.com where you get a waranty from the wholesaler who will eiter repair or replace.

As far as making your displeasure known, i suggest a polite respectfull letter detailing your troubles along with dates of contact, conversations had, the service or call tag number and any other reference information you can give about the problem. Send the letters to Conn, NH and to AZ to the main offices in care of the ceo. Advise them you expect a reply by e-mail or by letter and not an automated one. Addresses are here: http://ruger.com/Corporate/C-Directory.html

Send to all three States and let the left hand know what the right hand is doing(or not doing).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your time and insight. I understand a little more about their challenge. I'm still aggravated but will probably get over it soon. I had planned to send an account of my experience with ruger service to their management. The addresses and suggested approach are very appreciated.

Still trying to decide about 22 cal pistol. I had a good look at several today...

yall come

moose

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Ruger definately has a host of .22's to choose from and they are fine! Their auto line is extensive, and the single-six revolvers are just plain fun. Unfortunately, i believe that ruger dropped the bisley .22 so you will have to look a bit to find one of those.

Also like the browning buckmarks--not to cause an argument, but i believe to be more accurate than the ruger at least in my hands.

Never cared for the smith 22a's but i really did like the old model 422---wish i'd kept it. A fine light-weight trail semi.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
There are many things wrong here that I see. First our bragging on Ruger and the gun breaks your friend didn't have to say a word just smile and keep shooting your mad and Ruger has let you down you have egg on your face. Now your going to give Ruger a chance to make it right if that can happen, they have failed to do that . Not because they don't want to but because they are between a rock and a hard place right now.
I can totally understand where your coming from, I don't care who makes what if it don't work when I want it to work its junk to me.
As for the embarrssing shooting experance its not ever going to go away, your friend can just casually memtion it and the laugher will do the rest for you. Ruger in my opinon has been missing the boat for a while now. They have failed in the Cowboy Action shooting they could have made rifles and shotguns for the sport nope just pistol's and now they have new improved panty weight vaquero's. They cost high buying one just try and sell one the OM bring much more. Whom ever is doing the thinking at Ruger must have their head in the sand. I hope things work out for you but from where I am sitting Ruger isn't going to be the shinnie new penny it use to be with you. And I can well understand that, a smith break well that's smith for ya. Let a Ruger break oh my god that it like the end of the world. They started with noting but a dream and made the company into something really great. Rugers built like a tank yea man that is what we wanted, who wants a tank that breaks in less than 300 rounds???
Sorry this happened to ya pal I can well understand, sure hope Ruger makes it right with ya pal. They wouldn't with me, not from what your saying.
Now before anyone here attemps to lite me up for lambasting Ruger lets think about this. If you don't have the credit on your card you can't buy what ya wanted ya have to have money in your bank to write checks. So if ya write a check it boinces or go over the limit on your card ya have to pay a fee. There is no let me make this right and all if forgiven. This person was serverally embarrssed, but Ruger is going to fix it aw when they have time, funny he didn't get to pay for that gun when he had time he had to have the money now, so what is wrong with fixing the gun NOW! oh yea they are under arock and a hard place yea I fergot that. Maybe we should all ferget about them a while and see if they learn which side of the bread has butter?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hear what you're saying Snuffy, had a bad experience with Thompson Center and I'll never buy from them again regardless how good anyone says their customer service is. I don't like being burned and doubt if anyone else does either. I've had great service from Ruger and S&W.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
yes I agree I have had great service from ruger and smith never a problem. But look at what has happened to one of ours this is uncalled for and I myself have addressed a strong letter to them about this. I am sure I will be getting one of their pr letters, pr is not what I need or want, and its not what our member wants either he wants his gun fixed, actional it shouldn't have happened at all but it did and now they are dragging their feet- this is out ragious in my book.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Magmoose, Lots of confusion here. The SA revolvers are made in the Newport, NH plant and both the LCP and SR9 are made in the Prescott, AZ plant. The issues with the semi-autos doesn't affect the Newport plant at all so that isn't the reason for the delay.

Personally, I would never recommend sending a gun back for repairs when the ejector housing screw only costs a buck and a half and takes the talent of a 3rd grader on his lunch hour to install. I understand some people will send a gun back because they can't operate a screwdriver or just want to have something to complain about. Gee, stop and think about it before you get down on Ruger or any other company for the hassle of replacing a $1.50 part.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys I really appreciate your comments,,, all of them! This is the first ruger handgun I've owned and I bought it after a lot of conversations with the local hand gunning bunch. They had several recommendations for a 44mag. But they all consistently stated that ruger saa was the stoutest of all they would recommend. Plus I just really like the way the bisley feels and the look of the sbh. It's a dang good looking hogleg.

Iowegan is right about sending something back that can be easily dealt with. Growing up on the farm we did repairs. But now I don't have easy access to the shop (about 2 hours away). The screw sheared about 1 thread below the the barrel surface and I don't have an extractor set that small. Anyway, when I called ruger the first time the lady said it was a problem that would require that the gun be returned. I should have walked into the gunshop over in Columbus and paid $7.50 for the $0.06 screw. Will next time.

When the ejector housing flew out on the deck it was kinda funny. At least Fred enjoyed it. Fred has a big mouth, a jaybird butt, and on top of that - he's afraid of snakes.

My angst is centered around having to do all the kinetics here... pay for the gun, have a failure, hunt for a shipper (BTW the list of potential shippers on the ruger "here's how to return something" email don't all ship firearms. I had to go to 4th before finding one to ship the piece), call and call and call. It set me back when they finally admitted that they had to gun a month and hadn't opened the package to evaluate,,, and I don't believe the "flu" is a factor. Ruger is going through a test in my mind and not doing too well. Snuffy's comments about it shouldn't happen in the first place, but now that it has they don't seem to be committed to a fast fix and satisfied customer.

However, ruger is still being considered for the 22 cal pistol purchase. Yesterday I shot a s/w 41 and sig mosquito. One is a "tack driver" and the other is a "take it to the swamp" pocket gun. I've not shot mk lately.

Wish I didn't have to travel next week. But I don't think ruger will call.

thanks

moose

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
The man did what he was told to do by a company employee, and they have had it for a month. The company and the employee in my opinon are wrong. No customer should ever have to fix their own brand new gun no matter what. Was the any thrid grader commit called for ?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Snuffy, I just find it very hard to be sorry for someone that doesn't do their homework. No matter what the guy at Ruger said ... you just don't send a gun in for a $1.50 part then complain about it.

Grow up! This isn't your forum nor is it mine. If you don't like the way it is run, or the way I moderate, complain to the owner. I've seen your negative comments about the language ... Geez, I hear much stronger language on broadcast TV. This isn't an adults only forum but is sure isn't for little kids either. If you are offended by someones response or the language used, just click the little red sign at the lower left of the post.

Reactions: mark5019

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Iowegan, Snuffy was right about those posts being out of line on the Board. Since I'm the one that changed the posts maybe you ought to direct the comment to me. I want to ask you if you think this an appropriate comment to make to a new member of the board:

"Personally, I would never recommend sending a gun back for repairs when the ejector housing screw only costs a buck and a half and takes the talent of a 3rd grader on his lunch hour to install. I understand some people will send a gun back because they can't operate a screwdriver or just want to have something to complain about."

There are a lot of Members on this Board that don't know what you know about guns, but does this give you the right to look down on them? This Board is supposed to help and encourage people instead of insinuating that they are third graders. I think you owe an apology.

·
Registered
123 Posts
my p96

i bought it 3 week of February after 200 rounds 1st time shooting it, not 1 problem EXCEPT the safety malfunctioned. i sent it in and now on 3rd week waiting for it to be looked at then returned.

6/8 weeks for a new gun leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.
when my keltec p11 had a prob they bent over backwards to make me happy 1 week was back in my hands

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Iowegan,,, just added you to my "buddy list" and saw that you are a retired gunsmith. It's great to have a chance to run questions by real experts. Glad I had a chance to look at your profile. I probably need to update mine,,, don't think anyone will need my expertise though.

moose

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Magamoose,
I dissagree none of us know it all, and we can all learn from each other. And just because I haven't asked you a question yet is because I haven't thought of it yet. Your just as smart as anyone else, each of us learned our lessons. I do wish I had had the help of this forum when I started out. How I made it this far without blowing myself up is anyone guess. i do hope you get your gun back is good working order.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just talked to ruger yesterday. The SBH is in the "barrel section" and should be ready by end of month. Sure miss having it around. THANKS to yall for input and advice...

moose

·
Registered
123 Posts
i finally got my p95 back 6 weeks for a bad transfer bar?

but its back:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SBH arrived today. I had a set of Ruger handles (ivory-ish) waiting. Sure looks good. I can't wait til tomorrow to take it our for a test run

mm

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
let us know how she runs!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts