Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wondering this for a week or so, but it was confirmed today. Based on my email sale blasts I get from my firearms-related sellers, and the level of customers in my LGS’s when I drive past, it looks like much of the buying binge is over. This was confirmed, at least in my mind, when I got an email from Midway USA informing me that they have their free shipping promotion going.

What are you seeing in your area? Interesting that this indicator in my mind is happening as many states are starting to open up to more business as usual.

So, what do you think the reason is (and you can always disagree with my premise)? Is it due to the shelves are bare? Have people reached their comfortable personal inventory level? As states open up, is the “fear” subsiding? Or have people just run out of resources for more purchasing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Things seem to be dying down quite a bit. I notice that extended shipping times are also improving. I hope it keeps going.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,418 Posts
I got a sale catalog from Natchez Shooting Supply the other day. I went to the website and they were out of stock on the ammo I was interested in. I checked Academy Sports and they were the same. Out of stock on most rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo. Same with reloading components. I have a good stock, but will always buy when the price is reasonable. Hopefully stocks on hand will rebound before any election panic sets in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I made it thru the 2012-13 shortage just fine. Thru this nonsense too. Are there really that many people that only have one 50 rd box of ammo and then they panic when it's too late?
I just roll my own now & then and 8 yrs later, I have plenty of every caliber.

If you give a man bullets, he's only good 'til they get shot up.
If you teach a man to roll his own, that will never happen. And, it's therapy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am not so sure reloading solves the ammo shortage issue. I watched reloading supplies dry up before, just like factory ammo. If you reload, you just naturally keep a supply of primers and other consumables on hand.

I learned from past supply issues brought on by the government, which were magnified with panic by gun owners, to build up an ammo supply. This time was different. When the flu just started out, I knew the run on ammo was coming. I bought 3 cases of the popular military based ammo (5.56, 7.62 x 39, and 9mm) on sale. I stood in a long line to buy it with people that did not appear to be new gun owners. A month later ammo had doubled in price, when you can find it. My recent purchase was on top of a very adequate ammo supply I have stored.

Around me the ammo is starting to return to the shelves, but the price is still up and the retailers are limiting purchases. The on-line ammo situation is not much better, although I am starting to see bulk ammo in stock again at 1.5X to 2X the pre-flu prices. I doubt first time gun buyers are buying 9mm by the case, it is the gun owners like you and I on this forum buying.

The odd thing is gun prices only went up maybe 10% to 15%. In my area, some models sold out but were restocked rather quickly.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,669 Posts
Seeing some SD shotgun ammo come back, at high prices. I reload for everything else, and have a good stock of components. Am learning shot shell reloading now, too. Good excuse to learn a new skill.

Be patient, because manufacturers want to sell bullets. They will meet demand, eventually.

·
Premium Member
13,801 Posts
Still have a bunch of powder and primers from the last 'shortage'. If I can't reload it I will not shoot it vice 22 rimfire.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,761 Posts
It's just supply and demand. Ammo manufacturers don't buy expensive machinery and hire another shift for a short term spike in demand so they just keep making the same amount as before. Eventually it stabilizes and shelves are full again and prices settle. It was the same last time around and the time before that and the time before that....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m keeping a watch on a couple of firearm models online and prices are still going up. I’m in no hurry to purchase so will wait it out.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Things may be settling down, I just ordered some 200 and 240 XTPs from Midway. they were in stock and I got free shipping. Too bad they now charge tax. I should more carefully but I'd have paid tax if I drove to Dallas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Still sparse ammo here and relatively high prices. If you get lucky you can get some 9mm, but then you get what they have. I have scored Armscor 115 fmj for $8.99, Aguila 115 fmj for $10.99. But got 1400 rounds of 22 Remington Golden Bullets for $61 at Walmart. So .......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts